Philippe Coutinho

MTL_Barca

The biggest problem is probably his salary. He is just way too expensive to be a "let's try maybe it'll work" kind of squad player.

But then again they also tried to sign Neymar last summer after Griezmann also joined on huge wages so maybe they just don't care anymore :lol:

Richard.H

He's played on the rights side plenty of times in his career, maybe a recipe is playing him as the RCM with freedom to move out wide when Messi cuts in. Questionable though.

He cannot have freedom because that freedom in the middle/attack is granted to Messi. You can't have two players having free roles, that'll get exposed by any competent team.

LABarcaFan

Newcastle is the best hope. Coutinho would be the biggest name they could sign. Makes sense for all parties.

Make sense for both parties. Yes.

In Newcastle he will be the man and will get his full wages. In Barcelona ... I just don't see where Setien can put him to play and that will be depressing for him.

Andresito

Staff member
He cannot have freedom because that freedom in the middle/attack is granted to Messi. You can't have two players having free roles, that'll get exposed by any competent team.

It can be possible in a 4-3-3 - 4-4-2 hybrid with the RCM being a RM at the same time. Think Di Maria's role. But I don't think the limits are tactical, but rather if Coutinho could fill that role.

Messigician

For the clowns that want to keep him. We will have to pay Liverpool most of the money at least 30m pounds

Atm it's all unpaid as he hasn't met the bonuses in the contract for the transfer payments to be triggered.

It's not worth spending more money on a clown worth 50m atm yeah that's his actual value.

SELL SELL SELL!

don't look back he will only get worse as he ages he's already 28 and Brazillian.

Raki13

If another club is willing to give him the same ridiculous wages we do then get shot of him for whatever we can get. My guess is no one will and he will sit out his contract just like Bale.
Said before he came to the club he would a terrible signing , like many others on here and we were spot on.

Batistuta9

It's gone quiet on the Chelsea front, so don't think that will happen now. If pochettino becomes Newcastle's manager, that is probably the only realistic option left for him. Outside chance that psg may become interested if mbappe forces a move to real this year to keep neymar happy. No way psg will lose both neymar and mbappe in the same transfer window

JamDav1982

None if he plays next season we will have to cough up 30m it's we loaned him out this season in the hopes Bayern buy him

That is not true.

Barca have either 5m or 10m in appearance fees to pay if he stays.

It is 4.5m due for each of his 25 appearances and he has played 76 times but sure I read it is not just appearances but to count has to be a certain number of minutes and 9m been paid.

There is another 4.5 if Barca had won CL in 2019 and another 4.5m if Barca win it this year... which is not likely.

So around 20m of his 160m fee is outstanding. Of that 9m has been received from Bayern and Coutinho 'paid' around 10m himself when moved.

Looking at round 120m has been paid for him just now and his amortised cost is around 70m so that on the books is what needs to be covered to prevent a 'loss'.

I believe Barca initial plan was to try and sell him for 70-80m and put that down as around 40-50m loss on initial fee and then try to sign Neymar for 150-170m and claim got him back cheaper so balances out on that. Almost certain that is way it would be spun but the cova crisis has put end to that and difficult for either to move.

Newcastle may come in and pay a decent loan fee for him if takeover goes through would be my guess.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans