User Tag List

Page 2 of 181 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 2708

Thread: 14 - Philippe Coutinho

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Andresito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,836
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Messi View Post
    That formation is not my preferred formation at all (I did not mention anything about what I would like to see) but more the formation that I expect Valverde to use as I cannot see him dropping Suárez although I could be very wrong.

    I like your last formation if not for the fact that Griezmann has never really played as a "right winger" from what I am aware of. Messi will continue to operate primarily in that area of the field while continuing to spend more than half of his time in the center or wherever he wants to (it seems) with Valverde around.

    Buying Neymar rather than Griezmann (if buying them in the first place) would probably be the best option tactically as Neymar would be guaranteed the "left wing" while Messi could room the center (false 9) and Dembélé the right wing where I believe he is at his best. Dembélé teaming up with Arthur and Semedo would also give the team the needed spark to our entire right flank.

    Anyway I could very well see Valverde use a 4-3-1-2 formation with Suárez and Griezmann upfront and Messi as a traditional number 10 with license to room freely around. Not sure where Coutinho would fit in such a formation and who would provide width other than Alba. We would have the same problem of a mostly entirely static "right flank".
    I agree with all your points. Having Dembélé and Semedo together usually works well despite the lack of consistency they've both had. I think they'd develop quite the partnership with some playing time.

    It's nice to play around with formations when there's a lot of potential like now. But at the same time you know Valverde won't do anything drastic. As you're saying, Suárez, Messi and Griezmann will be undisputed starters.
    And the midfield will most probably consist of 2 veterans.


    It's kind of a crucial moment in the club now with a lot of big money signings moving. Dembélé/Coutinho: who will leave? Neymar/Griezmann: Who'll be signed?
    There's a lot of pressure on Abidal and the likes and they should be fully responsible for these choices. It's pretty certain that Valverde will leave soon, plus I wouldn't trust him with decisions like this.

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    EdmondDantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,548
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should go back to the Premier League.

  3. #18
    Blaugrana al vent
    te amo barca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,330
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst attacking player in the Copa winning squad.

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    3,707
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Country: Romania
    he appears in the promo clip for our new away kit. don't think we'll sell this summer

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Leo_Messi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Italo-Spaniard in exile.
    Posts
    2,878
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andresito View Post
    I agree with all your points. Having Dembélé and Semedo together usually works well despite the lack of consistency they've both had. I think they'd develop quite the partnership with some playing time.

    It's nice to play around with formations when there's a lot of potential like now. But at the same time you know Valverde won't do anything drastic. As you're saying, Suárez, Messi and Griezmann will be undisputed starters.
    And the midfield will most probably consist of 2 veterans.


    It's kind of a crucial moment in the club now with a lot of big money signings moving. Dembélé/Coutinho: who will leave? Neymar/Griezmann: Who'll be signed?
    There's a lot of pressure on Abidal and the likes and they should be fully responsible for these choices. It's pretty certain that Valverde will leave soon, plus I wouldn't trust him with decisions like this.
    Completely agree.

    The entire situation is a mess quite frankly. Uncertainty surrounding both of our two record signings (Coutinho and Dembélé), Suárez's role next season, Griezmann's ideal position and how to fit him into the team, the possible signing of Neymar. All that on its own is trouble enough. If you add a useless board with no sporting direction in place for years (if not since forever) and an equally useless "manager" in Malmierda it becomes more than just a small mess.

    I would even claim that it is pointless to discuss any possible tactical setup etc. as long as the transfer window is open as we have no clue about how the confirmed squad for next season will even look like.

    As for Valverde (gone at the latest in 2021), it is painfully obvious that he has little say about the signings made etc. Too many examples to mention. Malcom being the most recent example.
    Last edited by Leo_Messi; 8th July 2019 at 02:05 PM.
    Bartomeu Dimissió!

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Andresito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,836
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    he appears in the promo clip for our new away kit. don't think we'll sell this summer


    Means nothing really. Madrid are desperately trying to kick Bale out.

  7. #22
    New signing

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needs to have his role in the team properly defined. Lot of his playing areas are occupied by Messi and that makes him drift wider and be less effective. Doesn't have the pace to be a winger. What he's good at is his linkup play with the other forwards and playing in a central attacking midfield role, maybe cutting in from the left side to set up his right foot for a shot at goal.

    There will be a top team which can get the best out of coutinho. Not Barca and def not Barca which is reliant on Messi for the near future as well. Best thing for him to do is go to another club and rebuild his confidence.

  8. #23
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,534
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said before he got here, he isn't a midfield, but I compared him to KDB in the sense that they were more wingers/attackers during most of there career.

    But like KDB after a year or two of transition, if we had a capable touch who could actually develop a player, I could have seen him becoming the more advance player in the 3 man midfield.

    But we lack a coach with that kind of ability, so it's probably best for him to go.

  9. #24
    New signing

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coutinho was pretty much a attacking midfielder for liverpool. He wasn't a winger as he doesn't have the pace to be in the wings and stretch the wingbacks wide. Those roles in liverpool were taken up by Mane and later Salah etc. Where Coutinho thrived in liverpool was his linkup play with Firmino with Bobby often dropping down deep drawing some of the defenders away from Coutinho and vice versa. I don't see that happening in Barcelona. He hasn't been given enough time and confidence to have that understanding with someone like a Suarez or a Messi.

    Also, Reckon he's slacking his defensive responsibilities(Klopp expects his entire team to contribute in defense when needed and Coutinho did do his defensive shift in Liverpool), I rarely see the front three put a defensive shift at Barcelona. Great player who's delivered at a good level both club wise as well as for the national team. Just don't see him getting too much of a role in Barcelona esp given how Messi centric their attacks tend to be. Should have stuck on at Liverpool in hindsight.

  10. #25
    Senior Member
    FinBarcelonafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Turku
    Posts
    12,863
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the plan with Coutinho? We have no use for him.

  11. #26
    Mike the Knife
    FCBarca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    La C?te
    Posts
    10,030
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FinBarcelonafan View Post
    What's the plan with Coutinho? We have no use for him.
    Paolo Maldini - "In my opinion, Messi should win the Ballon D'Or each year. He's an unbelievable player."

  12. #27
    Blaugrana al vent
    te amo barca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,330
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sell him immediately

  13. #28
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,769
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lad has to be on his way out, more for his own sake than for anything else to be honest.

    If he decides to be daft and stay here to fight for a spot he will have his number stripped from him and could end up as the 5th choice attacker. One more terrible season and the big clubs won't be interested in shelling out the amount needed to buy him anymore nor will they offer him the wages that would enough for him to move. Could easily find him self in a Bale like football purgatory.

  14. #29
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackle View Post
    Lad has to be on his way out, more for his own sake than for anything else to be honest.

    If he decides to be daft and stay here to fight for a spot he will have his number stripped from him and could end up as the 5th choice attacker. One more terrible season and the big clubs won't be interested in shelling out the amount needed to buy him anymore nor will they offer him the wages that would enough for him to move. Could easily find him self in a Bale like football purgatory.
    That is why I dont understand Barto saying both coutinho and dembele is fundamental to the coach Coutinho will most likely be sold if Griezmann comes and Dembele will be gone if Neymar playe for us next season

  15. #30
    New signing

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what happens when you buy players without scouting whether they are the right fit for you or not.

    Barca enticing the player to throw his toys out of the pram only makes other clubs charge them more.