Ousmane Dembélé

BBZ8800

BBZ you do know contract renewals are done to sometimes for an eventual sell, right? There are no buyers right now, but next time will be. And Barca might be able to regain some of their costs back on him. This is purely a business play, not a sporting one.

I know.

But, let's check some numbers.
It says that Dembele's wages are 12M. I don't know whether that is gross or net (and if we have to pay 12 or 24m in total with taxes).
Even if it is only 12m:
If we sell him for 20M today:
= we will get 20m right now and we won't need to pay 12m for his wages next season

If we sign a new deal with him, even for lower wages, let's say 10m, that means that we need to sell him for at least 10m higher price next summer in order to earn more than selling him this summer for 20m.
So:
1) 20m this summer and we won't spend money for his wages anymore
2) or 30m for his fee next summer but 10m for his wages which gets you to 20m in total again

So, the only way to earn more money is is we sell him for let's say 35-40m next summer.

** And this calculation is based on 12m in total, if we pay 6m to Dembele and 6m for taxes.
If we have to pay 12m to Dembele and 12m for taxes, then we need to sell him for at least 24m more in the next summer to get some money.
Or for at least 48m more than today in 2 years, to earn some money.
Or for 72m more in 3 years.

When you sum it all, a very questionable deal.

BBZ8800

Why would anyone buy him from us today for 20M?

Do you think anyone will offer anything for him in a year?
If we sign a new deal and don't sell him next summer due to his injury or no buyers, we are risking of keeping him for 2 years.
That means either 12+12m or 24+24m spent on him for the next two years. (I need [MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] or someone who knows whether this is net or gross).

On the other hand, what are we getting from this player at all?
Is he a difference maker?
A starter?
Will we fight for titles?

He is totally a useless player, especially in times when we don't have money and when we don't fight for trophies.
And when we have 2 or 3 wingers in Depay, Messi and Fati.

khaled_a_d

If we sign a new deal and don't sell him next summer due to his injury or no buyers, we are risking of keeping him for 2 years.
That means either 12+12m or 24+24m spent on him for the next two years. (I need [MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] or someone who knows whether this is net or gross).

A starter?

He is totally a useless player, especially in times when we don't have money and when we don't fight for trophies.

He has 1 year left and is injured, no one is paying us anything for 6 month service of him.

Does he offer anything? Yes. He is winger and our only true winger for that matter.
Is he really good enough? No
Is he overpaid? Yes
Is he frustrating? Yes.

If we are renewing him for additional 3 or 4 years deal, then I agree. He will be an Umtiti of attack that we will never be able to get rid of.
If it is 2 years deal, I think it is decent deal for all parties. We are rebuilding and we are more or less beggars who can't reinforce their team, like at all.
In such situation, keeping Dembele for a year or two might be worth the risk.

Again, all depends on salary and length of contract

serghei

I'm with BBZ on this one. Get rid of him. Not even his wages are worth it. He's not good enough even if by some miracle he stays fit next season, but I can see his frequent injuries creeping back to the point we'll pay him to be a tourist in Barcelona and drive his supercar to fancy dinners.

Just call it a bust. If Fati is fit, we have 4 players better than him not counting Messi who can play in attack: Fati, Griezmann, Depay and even Aguero. Yea he has pace, but that's all he has tbh. Might as well find the best 100m sprinter in Spain and give him Dembele's contract :lol:.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
That means either 12+12m or 24+24m spent on him for the next two years. (I need @DonAK or someone who knows whether this is net or gross).

A starter?

I think his wages are 12m gross + bonuses at an average according to the leaked contracts Der Spiegel had access to through the Football Leaks cable, but the last board backloaded a lot of deals so it's reported his salary for this final year of his contract is 20m gross.

Givenchy

Renewing this guy is a big mistake. No future at Barca and if we plan to 'sell him on' he's midtable PL level at best and which midtable PL team in their right mind would pay Dembele the wages he'd demand? We can't even apply the youngster tag to him anymore, a straight up bust. Cut our loses and move on.

Redbuck

Renewing this guy is a big mistake. No future at Barca and if we plan to 'sell him on' he's midtable PL level at best and which midtable PL team in their right mind would pay Dembele the wages he'd demand? We can't even apply the youngster tag to him anymore, a straight up bust. Cut our loses and move on.

Laporta is doing the right thing by trying to extend his contract. How much money are you gonna get if you sell a player who will be injured for 4 months ? and besides you just cannot let a player who you signed for 140 million euros leave for free, even freakin' Arsenal aren't dumb enough to allow that. If the plan is to extend Dembele's contract by 2 more years, then it's a good move by Laporta.

FinBarcelonafan

Laporta is doing the right thing by trying to extend his contract. How much money are you gonna get if you sell a player who will be injured for 4 months ? and besides you just cannot let a player who you signed for 140 million euros leave for free, even freakin' Arsenal aren't dumb enough to allow that. If the plan is to extend Dembele's contract by 2 more years, then it's a good move by Laporta.

Depends on the salary. If he wants increase, let him be..

Home of Barca Fans