Ousmane Dembélé

krakdol

Completely outdone by Vinicius this season. Like wow, the gulf in quality between the two is as wide as the ocean.

That's close. No big gulf in quality either way. Both are great players with some flaws. Vinicius is younger though.

Last edited:

Laplacian

That's close. No big gulf in quality either way. Both are great players with some flaws. Vinicius is younger though.

It's not close. Dembele's one dimensional. Sprint and cross for him with the occasional through ball. Vinicius utilizes space, knows when to run behind the defense, knows how to beat the offside trap, knows how to get into dangerous positions on a consistent basis, and knows how to finish. Not to mention a much more fluid and consistent control of the ball. The kid is scoring hattricks and is 4 years younger than Dembele. 20 goals with 16 assists. Dembele's going to finish with 2 goals.

The gulf in quality is enormous.

Morten

They do play different roles though, as Dembele is right-foot, plays on the right, Vinicius plays on the left, but also right foot.

So, Vinicius will get into more shooting positions he is comfortable with, while Dembele gets to cross and play cutbacks with his strong foot.

That said, Dembele should be scoring more, thats just a poor goal return from him.

Laplacian

They do play different roles though, as Dembele is right-foot, plays on the right, Vinicius plays on the left, but also right foot.

So, Vinicius will get into more shooting positions he is comfortable with, while Dembele gets to cross and play cutbacks with his strong foot.

That said, Dembele should be scoring more, thats just a poor goal return from him.

Dembele played on the left under Koeman last season and couldn't score there either. Dembele played as a striker under Koeman as well received a multitude of chances and couldn't score there either. Dembele doesn't get into shooting positions because he doesn't know how to.

Also, he's left footed.

Morten

Dembele played on the left under Koeman last season and couldn't score there either. Dembele played as a striker under Koeman as well received a multitude of chances and couldn't score there either. Dembele doesn't get into shooting positions because he doesn't know how to.

Also, he's left footed.

What? When i search it up i see him come up as right-footed.

Well, you should know better than me so nevermind then.

Laplacian

What? When i search it up i see him come up as right-footed.

Well, you should know better than me so nevermind then.

He's ambidextrous (well equally shit with both feet), but when it comes to controlling the ball, dribbling, and passing he mostly uses his left foot. That's why he's much better on the right than he is on the left.

It just seems like he's right footed when he's shooting because his finishing is shit. Much more charitable to assume he's being forced to use his weak foot on the right. If only that was the case.

iniestaGOAT

Vinicious has turned into a killer and he is going to kill TAA in the finals like their last finals

Dembele on the other hand... who knows what this donkey does half the time

Morten

He's ambidextrous (well equally shit with both feet), but when it comes to controlling the ball, dribbling, and passing he mostly uses his left foot. That's why he's much better on the right than he is on the left.

It just seems like he's right footed when he's shooting because his finishing is shit. Much more charitable to assume he's being forced to use his weak foot on the right. If only that was the case.

In fact now that you've mentioned it, the few times i've watched Dembele when switched to the left, he went from a threat(at least in terms of creating), to almost a non-entity, would that be a correct assessment?

Iniesta Ultra

Bernando as winger?
When Pep have made him CDM, let alone AM, these days?

Clueless as usual

Pep played Silva as right forward recently. Someone with his skill can play multiple positions although I think he's still best as AM. But I do know a front three of Fati, Auba, Silva would create some real magic.

feggydinho

Completely outdone by Vinicius this season. Like wow, the gulf in quality between the two is as wide as the ocean.

Vinicius is easily better than Dembele, a top 5 winger in the world right now but the transformation between his performance last season and this season is wild

Zidane82

Vinicius is easily better than Dembele, a top 5 winger in the world right now but the transformation between his performance last season and this season is wild

Vinicius has improved dramatically this season but I still prefer Dembele

Crazy that Dembele has been offered ?200,000 a week and still wants more

Bobo32

It?s an unwritten rule on forums that you don?t quote if there are no posts between yours and the post you?re replying to.
There are only benefits with quoting and maybe write "post above" or something. Then the quoted gets notified, and it is easier for others to read too.
It wasn?t a shady one liner either, I still think you give more value to pass accuracy numbers than it?s due. For instance, Dembele is trying 6.08 crosses per 90 minutes in the league while his career high was 3.57, I excluded the 19-20 season because he barely played. He is averaging 37.9 successful passes out of 51.6 attempted. Noticeable that his accuracy takes a blow due to him crossing more (look at detailed numbers). Vinicius, on the contrary, attempts 1.83, and Rodrygo 1.63 crosses per 90 minutes in the league. Different situations and lack of context before comparing.
It was critique without explanation. I brought numbers and an answer like this would be fine. My post wasn't meant as passive-aggressive but as tongue in cheek btw.

Vinicius makes more assists this season than Dembele over his Barcelona career, without crossing or losing the ball as much.
Losing the ball is losing the ball, creating a goal is creating a goal. It is all about what he has to show for it, about variance and expected value.
I don't think a player can just cross the ball and be judged for his assists but not for the counters the opponents get. He is responsible for his crosses. Anyway, anyone who watched the games know that Dembele lose the ball in every imaginable and unimaginable way; crossing, passing, stomping on the ball, dribbling out of bounds, tripping on the grass etc. etc.
Another thing, I see you?re comparing Adama?s assist tally to Dembele?s in a post bellow. You ignore the sample size and come to a conclusion that Adama could replace Dembele when that?s never happening.
Sample size almost seems like a buzzword to you here. What we know is what has happened, Traore has made 4 assists playing 1/3 the time Dembele played. The sample size for Dembeles 13 assists isn't that great either, almost all of them came in a time period when the team played very good and won all the time, take that month away and Dembele is on a lower assist count this season than in his previous seasons. I am willing to bet that Dembele will regress to under 10 assists again next season.
Dembele losing possession 40 times in one match or missing more than half of passes in the other tell us what exactly? That he?s no Messi?
It tells you that he has a negative influence on the team in games where he doesn't have a goal or a great chance created to show for his extremely sloppy and risky play.

feggydinho

Vinicius has improved dramatically this season but I still prefer Dembele

Crazy that Dembele has been offered ?200,000 a week and still wants more

The rate at which Vini improved from last season to this season brings some level of hope for Dembele, maybe he can actually work on his finishing and he'll be among the top wingers if he can ever do that.

Bobo32

You think Fati should play 9 when he just told Xavi he wants to be on the left?

Him and Torres could switch around, or Bernardo could play false 9 even.
Some other rude posters talking about how "wingers" are so so, needed, and that natural CMs can't play the position. What is important is that you have both people who run and people who can play into space, while still having every player able to control the ball and win it back. It is not that important to have a pacy dribbler who succeeds with half the stuff he attempts and ends pretty much every attack.

When Barcelona were at its best they had "wingers" like Pedro, Villa and Sanchez, and then a couple of fast youngsters who could play now and then. These wingers might be decently fast, and Sanchez could dribble, but they aimed for a success rate of at least 80% in anything they did. They were patient and good.

Home of Barca Fans