Ousmane Dembélé

Messi983

Re-sign him now. He is clearly our best winger, we need to keep him.

He is but I have two concerns that the club should seriously consider before renewing him.

1. can he become less hot and cold and also start to perform on a consistently good level against top teams as well? Which is what is needed if we want to build the team around his strenghts in coming years. Can he be one of the leader of a team that will (hopefully) become competitive in Europe again in not so distant future. He'll probably want to be paid as a top 5 player in the world which he can be on his days but can/will he keep up that level through a whole season and against better opponents?

2. while I believe his mentality changed under Xavi part of me is still affraid he'll turn back to his old self being injured for 5-6 months every season as soon as he'll get a new 4-5 year contract. I think shorter term contract might keep him more motivated. So I'd prefer to give him another 2-year contract with club option for third season rather than extend him till 2027/28.

It's clear Xavi loves Dembouz and will do everything to keep him but where is that point in contract negotiations when Laporta/club will decide they prefer to get 50m and see who they can sign to replace Dembele rather than pay him 30m/season and risk to again ruin wage structure at the club that they are still working to repair. He's important but Barca is in no position to give him everything he wants like PSG did with Mbappe for example.

It's 100m with Dembele receiving 50%. But Barcelona receive a min of 50m of any transfer. So If Dembele wanted to go to PSG (example) and they agreed 70m, thenBarca take 50m and Dembele 20m.

Remember the buyout clause is technically Dembele buying out his own contract. So he would be foregoing a % of what he pays himself. In layman terms.

In this case it would be the same for Barca if we'd sell him for 50m or 100m. If he'd upset the club for some reason and we'd want to offload him we could just say to other clubs "give us 50m and you can have him" while at the same time also f*** Dembele not giving him any money from the transfer. Don't see why Sissoko would accept such clause.

feggydinho

2. while I believe his mentality changed under Xavi part of me is still affraid he'll turn back to his old self being injured for 5-6 months every season as soon as he'll get a new 4-5 year contract. I think shorter term contract might keep him more motivated. So I'd prefer to give him another 2-year contract with club option for third season rather than extend him till 2027/28.

It's clear Xavi loves Dembouz and will do everything to keep him but where is that point in contract negotiations when Laporta/club will decide they prefer to get 50m and see who they can sign to replace Dembele rather than pay him 30m/season and risk to again ruin wage structure at the club that they are still working to repair. He's important but Barca is in no position to give him everything he wants like PSG did with Mbappe for example.

In this case it would be the same for Barca if we'd sell him for 50m or 100m. If he'd upset the club for some reason and we'd want to offload him we could just say to other clubs "give us 50m and you can have him" while at the same time also f*** Dembele not giving him any money from the transfer. Don't see why Sissoko would accept such clause.

I don't think he'll accept a 2-year contract again without bonuses if he keeps performing like this, in fact, he'll be stupid to IMO so it won't be an easy task.

He would also get offers as his injury days seem to be over, so it would be up to us to offer him a better deal if we think he's worth it or carry on with Raphinha and trust he transforms into another being.

Finally, 50m can't really get elite wingers in Today's market except your team has elite scouts, so it's more likely we waste that 50m on a funny winger seeing our recent market history.

Porque

Where has that been reported?

Players get the money from the other clubs to buy out contract. Dembele wouldnt be giving anything up.

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/desvelamos-nuevo-contrato-dembele-barca-14264243

It's 50% of the release clause which is 100m.

So a club could sign him for as little as 50m or as much as 100m, depending on how much of the release clause Dembele would be willing to forego.

Birdy

I don't think he'll accept a 2-year contract again without bonuses if he keeps performing like this, in fact, he'll be stupid to IMO so it won't be an easy task.

There should be justice in the wage structure.
Dembele should be the highest earner together with Lewa. Hands down.

Problem is that likes of Raphinia, Kessie, Ferran, even FAti under the new contract, get too much for what they give on the pitch.
Solution wouldn't be to pay Dembele double so that he has the right wage distance from these people, solution would be to bring the others down where they shall be

Birdy

Would like to see him have a masterclass against likes of Bayern. But we can start with United.

This yardstick is totally double standards.
When the team as a whole plays poorly against the likes of Bayern, for example, you can't expect him to deliver a performance like yesterday's.
Dembouz was the standout performer yesterday because the foundation was right: the whole team and tactics were clicking in the 1st half

In the big games where people think he 'disappears', what happens in reality is that the team is losing big time the tactical battle, and Dembouz is as helpless as the rest.

Even in bad eliminations (Inter, Frankfurt, etc) he is trying to make something happen, but the plot is already lost by Xavi

KingLeo10

Expecting Dembele to occasionally (not everytime) carry the team when it's performing meh is the sign of a great player

If everything has to go right for him to thrive, then he is what most people think he is - a good to very good player but not a great one

He's becoming the new EV on this forum, where his haters have him as an absolute bum and his stans have him as some standout, consistently great player. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Birdy

Expecting Dembele to occasionally (not everytime) carry the team when it's performing meh is the sign of a great player

If everything has to go right for him to thrive, then he is what most people think he is - a good to very good player but not a great one

He's becoming the new EV on this forum, where his haters have him as an absolute bum and his stans have him as some standout, consistently great player. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Bad analogy mate

EV never produced any masterclass, only boring wins

malvolio

Tbf, as good as he was on the eye, if he didn't get a goal/assist last night, most of us would have shrugged and considered it a classic Dumbele performance.

FCBfan22

Tbf, as good as he was on the eye, if he didn't get a goal/assist last night, most of us would have shrugged and considered it a classic Dumbele performance.

Not really. His decision making was maybe the best in Barcelona shirt so far.

Also provided 3-4 chances directly and another 3-4 indirectly. At least 4 of them were sitters or close misses. Even without his goal, his performance is impressive. Should've finished with 2-3 assists too if our players could finish.

Birdy

LOL
As ignorant about the sport he claims to be watching for 30 years as always

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
When he had played well for France early on during the WC, there were talks of him possibly leaving for PSG and later they died down once his performance was nothing spectacular.

Now he had one great game such talks resurfaced again. Not sure about how seriously PSG or another club wants to go for him, but I think he wants to stay.

malvolio

Not really. His decision making was maybe the best in Barcelona shirt so far.

Also provided 3-4 chances directly and another 3-4 indirectly. At least 4 of them were sitters or close misses. Even without his goal, his performance is impressive. Should've finished with 2-3 assists too if our players could finish.

Yes, it would have been meaningless. Should've and could've is all he did in his Barca career.

Probably game last night was one of maximum 3 when he was the decisive factor, in an important game.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Yes, it would have been meaningless. Should've and could've is all he did in his Barca career.

Probably game last night was one of maximum 3 when he was the decisive factor, in an important game.

Is it his fault his high-value passes are not being converted? Stupid comment. It's the same as blaming Messi for all the chances Higuain/Aguero/Palacios missed for Argentina from his passes.

He's been good to great in almost every important game since Xavi came in. Pretty much the only one who turned up vs Bayern at home, Frankfurt and Inter (with Lewa) too. This season he scored the winning goal vs Sociedad away, Bilbao at home, Atletico, Almeria and now Sociedad - excluding games where he didn't score but was a threat. I know you have a hate boner for Dembele but unless we sign a superstar attacker (who?) or somehow land a Pedri-like gem (that Roque guy if he starts firing on all cylinders right away) in the attacking third, Dembele will be our best forward/player for a while and we need to rely on him.

I have high hopes for Yamal but he's still just 15.

feggydinho

When he had played well for France early on during the WC, there were talks of him possibly leaving for PSG and later they died down once his performance was nothing spectacular.

Now he had one great game such talks resurfaced again. Not sure about how seriously PSG or another club wants to go for him, but I think he wants to stay.

PSG would come knocking if they're smart cause Messi is in his last days (2 season tops) so getting Dembele would be a great addition for them. He's even an upgrade to who Man Utd and Chelsea has on the rw so there should be offers if his form continues

malvolio

Is it his fault his high-value passes are not being converted? Stupid comment. It's the same as blaming Messi for all the chances Higuain/Aguero/Palacios missed for Argentina from his passes.

He's been good to great in almost every important game since Xavi came in. Pretty much the only one who turned up vs Bayern at home, Frankfurt and Inter (with Lewa) too. This season he scored the winning goal vs Sociedad away, Bilbao at home, Atletico, Almeria and now Sociedad - excluding games where he didn't score but was a threat. I know you have a hate boner for Dembele but unless we sign a superstar attacker (who?) or somehow land a Pedri-like gem (that Roque guy if he starts firing on all cylinders right away) in the attacking third, Dembele will be our best forward/player for a while and we need to rely on him.

I have high hopes for Yamal but he's still just 15.

Of course is not his fault. But he is a winger/forward and they are judged on their end product. Movement, creating chances, destabilizing defenses can only get you so far, if you don't score/assist. Just as Messi is praised by most of his doubters after he won the WC.

Pretty much turned up against Bayern doesn't mean shit, we got knocked out. And he didn't have anything to show for it.

Can't have an opinion even if we don't have the money to get someone better? Don't think it was even a hateful comment, but seems that I've triggered a few fairies.

Home of Barca Fans