Ousmane Dembélé

JamDav1982

Thank you mr Strawman.
Except that no one said he is 96th percentile in finishing

Apply the 'touches' in box stat to how Dembele impacts game.

Being at team with most possession in the league and playing CF during season at times no real surprise high up but what does it convert to in terms of goals/assists for the team?

Fuck all it seems.

Laplacian

Thank you mr Strawman.
Except that no one said he is 96th percentile in finishing

I'm just making fun of the idea that he's shit because he "doesn't fit us" and would be a lot better in a counter attacking team, when there are countless examples of him being absolutely useless during our counters. I'm also mocking you and showing you examples of his ball progressions that lead to absolutely nothing. It's not that hard, mate.

Birdy

I'm just making fun of the idea that he's shit because he "doesn't fit us" and would be a lot better in a counter attacking team, when there are countless examples of him being absolutely useless during our counters.

4 of the 6 missed chances against PSG were created simply out of his movement.
Let's put Aguero there who can finish,
and see him finishing the 0 chances that will be created with him instead.

Right?

Laplacian

4 of the 6 missed chances against PSG were created simply out of his movement.
Let's put Aguero there who can finish,
and see him finishing the 0 chances that will be created with him instead.

Right?

Yes, he lacks end product. Thus he is useless. Glad you're finally understanding why the majority of us think he's shit. If you want to support the Adama Traores of the world I suggest you head on to the Wolves forum, perhaps they'll appreciate your stats analysis of your 99% percentile ball progressors.

Birdy

Yes, he lacks end product. Thus he is useless. Glad you're finally understanding why the majority of us think he's shit. If you want to support the Adama Traores of the world I suggest you head on to the Wolves forum, perhaps they'll appreciate your stats analysis of your 99% percentile ball progressors.

No you didn't get it.
I am saying your absolute focus on finishing is narrow-minded.
Aguero is a good finisher, yet he would never find himself in the end of these chances, and none of the chances Dembele missed in Paris would have been created without him on the pitch.

Bobo32

How the hell it does not say anything?
Especially in a team that no one apart from him, Messi and Fati can't dribble.

People some pages back were arguing that 'eye test' tells you he is not good at dribbling
It's these idiotic claims that I am countering

And I say you would be better off by watching a lot of football, gain some more footballing intuition, trust your stats numbers less and your eye more, and argue a bit more humbly.
I don't want to be rude or tell you what to do, but that's how I see it. When you claim your numbers are proof, you lose all credibility.

I think that Dembele probably is a pretty good dribbler in isolation, he is fast and can feint. So if that's your whole point, I agree.
Football is not a game of isolation though, even though Barcelona often are set up to isolate Dembele 1v1 amap (as they do, these stats you show will naturally rise, as any player succeeds some of the time).

---
I meant in the Koeman thread, where we exchanged long posts and I had a few questions in the long post the conversation ended with.

Birdy

And I say you would be better off by watching a lot of football, gain some more footballing intuition, trust your stats numbers less and your eye more, and argue a bit more humbly.
I don't want to be rude or tell you what to do, but that's how I see it. When you claim your numbers are proof, you lose all credibility.

I think that Dembele probably is a pretty good dribbler in isolation, he is fast and can feint. So if that's your whole point, I agree.
Football is not a game of isolation though, even though Barcelona often are set up to isolate Dembele 1v1 amap (as they do, these stats you show will naturally rise, as any player succeeds some of the time).

---
I meant in the Koeman thread, where we exchanged long posts and I had a few questions in the long post the conversation ended with.

No, you are not rude, I just don't agree
I have been watching football since 1994.
Intuition says nothing to me. Many people's intuition might contradict with each other, and even there is a consensus of intuitions, it might still be false.

That's why there can't be no substantive argument based on intuition. Arguments have to be backed by stats.

---
pm me the post, I can't remember

Bobo32

No, you are not rude, I just don't agree
I have been watching football since 1994.
Intuition says nothing to me. Many people's intuition might contradict with each other, and even there is a consensus of intuitions, it might still be false.

That's why there can't be no substantive argument based on intuition. Arguments have to be backed by stats.

---
pm me the post, I can't remember

Of course different peoples intuition contradict, so do stats, as is obvious here. First thing about stats (any stats, not just football) is they have to be interpreted. In football extremely much so, I'd say.
Cruyff, Sacchi, Mourinho and Egil Olsen wouldn't have the same intuition (well I think they would all agree more with my intuition than what people here agree with me tbh) but there would be much more to learn from listening to one of those than to consult a lot of stats, especially blindly. They all know a lot, it's not that only one of them is correct.
Verheijen has his shit about football being objective which I think is ridiculous. I enjoy reading different interpretations, but it's a bit tiresome to read some of you posters selfclaim W:s and say that your view is objectively correct.

---
I'll see if I can find the post.

Birdy

Of course different peoples intuition contradict, so do stats, as is obvious here. First thing about stats (any stats, not just football) is they have to be interpreted. In football extremely much so, I'd say.
Cruyff, Sacchi, Mourinho and Egil Olsen wouldn't have the same intuition (well I think they would all agree more with my intuition than what people here agree with me tbh) but there would be much more to learn from listening to one of those than to consult a lot of stats, especially blindly. They all know a lot, it's not that only one of them is correct.
Verheijen has his shit about football being objective which I think is ridiculous. I enjoy reading different interpretations, but it's a bit tiresome to read some of you posters selfclaim W:s and say that your view is objectively correct.

---
I'll see if I can find the post.

Sure interpretation is needed. That's why I make arguments on this platform.
Stats I am using to support my arguments. Isn't that obvious?
Why do you think that I 'blindly' use them?
If people go around and say Barca's attack is not good, and the relevant stat (which is xg per game) says the opposite, what's blind about it?
Is it rather the other way round?
People who close their eyes and ears to stats just because they don't want to change their mind, which might be full of subjective idiosyncrasies that distort reality.
The fact that people who don't agree with my points use their intuitions or their 'eye test' to counter something I have backed up with the relevant stats is telling for them, not for me.
Stats do not contradict one another. They always tell something. What this is you have to find in the argument you want to build

Birdy

And since haters posted vid with his misses, let's enjoy now 10 goals by him that shocked the world:

[vine][/vine]

Home of Barca Fans