Ousmane Dembélé

Rivaldo96

I think you have to leave aside the amount he was bought for to truly assess him.

Even then though his finishing has been way below expected and his dribbling has actually gotten worse.
Saw him live vs Leganes in Jan 2019 and he looked legitimately electric can't say the same these days.

Bobo32

I don't know.
It must be the many things mentioned here as 'arguments' against him: like that he is 'dumb', he eats junk food,he plays video games, he gets injured (which he has stopped), and other stuff of similar taste

LOL
You have no clue

You don't decide that based on what your eyes see.
It's a statistical norm. It has been calculated according to the parameters most xG models are using, some of which are:
- relative position of the shot
- number of opp. players ahead of the shooter
- position of opp. players ahead
- position of the GK
- speed of the pass
- angle of the shot

and many others...

Why don't you list the things it DOESN'T take into account too, before you say that it is the complete truth?
Shit, I've defended the xG stat against shitposters who can't grasp the concept, but now I see the other side of the coin.

After having watched the chance again though I can say it is much closer to 1/3 than 2/3, maybe even slightly lower than 1/3.

Rory

Bizarre thing is even if that goes in 9/100 you should expect a 130m purchase to put it in with that probability. xG doesn?t account for who is taking the shot right, so if it did account for all forwards valued 100m+ that xG would be significantly higher.

xG works in certain specific circumstances. It doesn?t work when trying to tell people a 130m forward shouldn?t score a < 10 yards header

JohnN

A free header from an unmarked tall player inside the penalty box is a 9% chance?
Then every Messi goal must be something like 0.001% chance.

mc_lovin

There are like 3 variables that xG considers (distance, angle, assist type - meaning throughball, cross?)... it probably "compared" Dembeles chance to random corners from that position, which are naturally lower.

--> its a shit stat and they do a terrible job explaining it.

BBZ8800

Apart from that miss, even a bigger wtf was the next action: we were in a counter, a few of our players were in the box, Dembele crossed and the ball went into a goal kick on the far post.

Camera showed Koeman and he wasn't even angry, he was just resignated.
Something like: "why am I even watching this?"

** unrelated to this, remember when people cursed at EV for not playing this gem against Roma in Rome, lol?
Lord EV figured out this poor guy after 2-3 months.

** also, unrelated to this, remember when Dembele didn't know how to stretch before matches.
Now it all makes sense: this guy doesn't know more or less anything.

Laplacian

Apart from that miss, even a bigger wtf was the next action: we were in a counter, a few of our players were in the box, Dembele crossed and the ball went into a goal kick on the far post.

Camera showed Koeman and he wasn't even angry, he was just resignated.
Something like: "why am I even watching this?"

** unrelated to this, remember when people cursed at EV for not playing this gem against Roma in Rome, lol?
Lord EV figured out this poor guy after 2-3 months.

** also, unrelated to this, remember when Dembele didn't know how to stretch before matches.
Now it all makes sense: this guy doesn't know more or less anything.

https://youtu.be/x4pzQ71Y4Ws?t=106

this one?

henias

Personally, here's what I've noticed. He's better at shooting with power with his right, but his left foot is suited for dribbling and curling the ball in to the top corner. His signature is cutting to the left and shooting with his left with a finesse shot or fake with his left foot and drills a volley with his right. Koeman for some reason loves to play him on the left at times, and when he gets into those shooting positions like against PSG, his right foot just doesnt produce enough curl or its just something he's not used to. It just isnt his forte. Wouldn't look too much into the header. Thought he brought danger when he came on, again, Koeman took too long to make a damn sub.

Last edited:

Birdy

Some people here are funny.
Projecting their hatred against Dembele all over and in every possible discussion, but when you tell them the header was not a big chance they go 'oh no this can't be true'
No it can.
Go read to see why it's true...

But you are not interested in finding this out,
you are rather interested in lashing out against an easy scapegoat each time

Why don't you list the things it DOESN'T take into account too, before you say that it is the complete truth?
Shit, I've defended the xG stat against shitposters who can't grasp the concept, but now I see the other side of the coin.

After having watched the chance again though I can say it is much closer to 1/3 than 2/3, maybe even slightly lower than 1/3.

AGAIN: you don't decide the number.
most models I have looked since yesterday have it between 0.09 and 0.12
At best it gets converted 12 out of 100 times.
FACT
get over it and start arguing seriously

So in only 15' he had 3/4 successful dribbles, with one of which he created a break on the left of Atleti's defence that led to the FK taken by Messi.
He created a chance with his pass to the box.
All in all, he comes in and we look for the first time dangerous in a game where until then we were completely toothless upfront against a well-parked bus

But he missed a header that goes in at best approximately 1 out of 10 times.
Criminal
He should be hanged outside of Camp Nou

Bobo32

AGAIN: you don't decide the number.
most models I have looked since yesterday have it between 0.09 and 0.12
At best it gets converted 12 out of 100 times.
FACT
get over it and start arguing seriously

lol@arguing seriously.

Your arguments inthemselves admit that your model is not the TRUTH.
It is a model of reality which has many limitations and is best used with a large sample.

The only fact is that your model says it is 0.09 and everybody else realize that your model is wrong on this occasion.
Almost everybody else realize Dembele is a shit player as well, but I see you have ways to help him through statistics... Well you will have a hard time winning over people who trust their own eyes.

Home of Barca Fans