Ousmane Dembélé

CatalinR10

It's sad he can't catch a break. He may not be very smart, but he could have had a great carreer like Ribery. Ribery was another player who wasn't very smart but was killing everybody with speed and dribbling. I think injuries killed that hope for good. Now he's more on an Abou Diaby path of going to hospital every 2 months and finally giving up for good.

Ribery was a contender for the Ballon d'or in the Messi - CR era and he actually could/should have won it when he won all the titles in 2013 and was ridiculously good that year. Dembele will never reach those heights.

If , by some chance/miracle , Dembele is in the top 3 and goes at the ceremony , he ends up opening the wrong door and enters a theatre instead. After watching 3+ hours of Romeo and Juliet he asks a random person sitting besides him if they will announce the B'dor winner after the play is over.

mc_lovin

Calling Ribery not very smart isn't very smart either. On the field he was a fantastic decision maker, and I guess that's what we are talking about.

fergus90

Ribery was a contender for the Ballon d'or in the Messi - CR era and he actually could/should have won it when he won all the titles in 2013 and was ridiculously good that year. Dembele will never reach those heights.

If , by some chance/miracle , Dembele is in the top 3 and goes at the ceremony , he ends up opening the wrong door and enters a theatre instead. After watching 3+ hours of Romeo and Juliet he asks a random person sitting besides him if they will announce the B'dor winner after the play is over.

:lol: invited to the Ballon d'Or, collects the Palme d'Or instead.

Newcomer

Calling Ribery not very smart isn't very smart either. On the field he was a fantastic decision maker, and I guess that's what we are talking about.

Exactly, Ribery was smart on the pitch on top of being very talented.

Even in his late 30, he is still a baller.

No comparison with Demb?l?.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Dembele could have been a better player without the injuries. No doubt about that.

But he's more like a Kingsley Coman level player when everything clicks and not a Ribery. Wouldn't have been close to Ribery even without any injuries. He's just not that talented or good.

Doesn't have Ribery's Football IQ, his close control dribbling, ability to hit the ball cleanly and not shoot it 20m over the goal or lob it to the goalkeeper like an amateur....and so on.

Birdy

Another meltdown in this thread.

Knee injury is something new.
You can't blame him for that. Many get knee injuries with absolutely no blame to be thrown to the player (just a tiny wrong landing can get you a serious knee injury).

Nor that you could blame him for the muscle injuries under Valverde, for reasons I have explained. His muscle injuries are totally down to Ernie and his staff.

The good news (within the context of bad news) is that he won't leave this summer.
Renewal for 5 years in the making.
Until September he will have renewed under lower fixed salary but with bonuses and variables, like what Laporta does with everyone

HanDW

Every day that passes they add another month to the time he will be out lol, won't be surprised if by sunday there is info about him missing the entire season and part of the 22/23 one.

krakdol

I know Ribery pretty well as a French fan, he was never that smart, he made tons of bad decisions in the French team. They never won anything with him by the way.

Dembele could definitely have been as successful as him, I watched him destroy Bayern singlehandedly when he was at Dortmund years ago and not even 20. It just didn't pan out, mostly because of injuries. Dembele was extremely impressive at Dortmund, he was already one of the best Bundesliga players.

There's a reason why your board paid 120 million+ for him you know, this is not standard transfer fee at all. I know the hipster thing is saying the board is made up of idiots, but fees actually generally make sense.

Last edited:

Richard.H

Another meltdown in this thread.

Knee injury is something new.
You can't blame him for that. Many get knee injuries with absolutely no blame to be thrown to the player (just a tiny wrong landing can get you a serious knee injury).

Nor that you could blame him for the muscle injuries under Valverde, for reasons I have explained. His muscle injuries are totally down to Ernie and his staff.

The good news (within the context of bad news) is that he won't leave this summer.
Renewal for 5 years in the making.
Until September he will have renewed under lower fixed salary but with bonuses and variables, like what Laporta does with everyone

Exactly what benefit do you get in this forum from defending him? Why do you even do it? What do you see in him? Why do you pretend to be smart with Pep as your avatar? Do you think Pep would play Dembele?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Don't have the appetite for long arguments anymore, but the only move here should be to renew for a year or two, if at all, to sell him next summer. Or just realize the sunk cost and let him walk away.

We need to find a replacement. Donyell Malen looks interesting even if he might become more of a striker in the future.

Joan

Don't have the appetite for long arguments anymore, but the only move here should be to renew for a year or two, if at all, to sell him next summer. Or just realize the sunk cost and let him walk away.

We need to find a replacement. Donyell Malen looks interesting even if he might become more of a striker in the future.

Shame he's injured and we can't offload him this summer. Some cash to reinvest in his replacement or more urgent areas would be terrific.

The main problem with Dembele that I have is the club's attitude that he's a soon to explode world class talent, which he absolutely is not. And is always pushed into the 11 because of the fee. The club needs to chin up, take an L, and plan for the future.

Home of Barca Fans