Ousmane Dembélé

Messigician

Fairplay to Dembele.

Longer contract, better wages, huge signing on fee, plays in country of his birth, gets to relax in no pressure environment closer to friends and family.

Fleeced this finished club for a nice vacation and is returning to his homeland with a fat signing in fee. There is reason I wanted him out after 1 season while his value was still high lmfao.

And here I thought he was stupid, but Fairplay to the lad.

Messigician

Breaking! The club believe Dembele has signed a pre contract agreement.

Barcelona will tell Ousmane Demb?l? to look for a new club [espn]

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

Barcelona will tell Ousmane Demb?l? to look for a new club if he doesn't sign a contract extension at Camp Nou this summer. [espn]

i_bleed_blaugrana

"eye test" is an empty catch phrase.
What one person's eyes tell him is different from another.
You cannot build any substantive argument based on eye test

Let's go again. There are several mistakes in your post

Let's start with the games you mention, as I see you have defined low-block incorrectly.

Only last Atleti game was vs a low block, (where team was unable to create any chance before Dembele came in as a sub in the 2nd half)
Bilbao and PSG games were not low blocks.
They were against sides who tried to pressure high and disrupt our buildup.
And that's why you can see vs which teams the 3-4-3/3-5-2 worked wonders this year.

Games vs low-blocks from the last part of the season to say the least were these:
Granada at home,
Celta home,
Getafe home,
Valladolid home,
Cadiz home for instance
In all those the 3-5-2/3-4-3 did not work well.

No, you cherrypicked.
There is no "general stats that most people evaluate". These are just generic tags that are used to hide the fact that there is no specific angle and argument in reading the stats.

You have to try again.
1) You have to identify first a quality, area which you want to target with your stats.
2) Then, you have to explain why the stats you cite (and not other stats) best capture the quality or area you are targeting
3) Finally you have to evaluate that quality/area based on the specific stats you cite

And here we see why your stats do not prove any point.
Why is 'touches' for example important? What is this supposed to tell me about the game?
Same for 'possession lost'. Why is this important?

How does any of the above stat relate to the quality of "breaking low blocks"?

Sort this out first and explain it clearly, and then we can evaluate the stats

I didn't come to this conclusion only because of you thinking Collado might be better than Dembele.
It's a conclusion based on the totality of your posts here.

Listen bruv, other folks have already pointed out some of the flaws in your own analysis of Dembele, particularly the stat you posted. Considering the percentiles are solely weighted to La Liga players who are wingers or AMs, the fact that he doesn't have even higher numbers in these regards is even more damning. But honestly, it just feels like at times you want more to argue, win or prove that you are more "right" in these sort of discussions than actually reading and considering what others are saying and responding with your analysis from there.

A very easy counter-example to Dembele being quote-unquote, the only player who can break down a bus at Barcelona, was his game against Real this season.

And if you actually go back and watch the match, his overall influence on our offensive play was just not at the level we needed from him in a big match,

This is what I said in my first post to you, this was what I was specifically analyzing about Dembele. In case you need help, how a player influence's their teams overall play offensively can judged by things like touches, pass accuracy, successful crosses, big chances created and the other stats that I listed. That is why I used those stats because that was the claim that I was attacking, that he was our best player against a low-block. These stats are used by many to get a snapshot at players influence on the run of play, take a casual glance at Football Twitter, not that that is anything to hang your hat on, but it demonstrates the commonality of its usage.

But instead of considering any of that, you just bullishly and arrogantly proclaimed these stats to be "cherrypicked", twice, instead of just reading.

Sidenote, I focused on the actual big matches that mattered this season rather than the ones you listed of other teams who employed a low-block. Also Bilbao pressed at times, sure, but there overall approach was extremely defensive in nature and they, like PSG in the 2nd leg, stayed in a low-block for a majority of the match. I am not even going to get into the stuff you are trying to say about the 3-back systems.

All of this really is besides the point when it comes to the situation with him right now though. After the patience and understanding we have had with this kid, considering how he dicked us around when he first got here with his approach to "professionalism," for him to be holding out and playing games with us with his renewal considering the situation we are in is the final straw for me. And it just doesn't make sense to bend over for a player who is all show and no go, can run with the ball but cannot deliver anything with it consistently.

The way he himself is handling this renewal is beyond distasteful and especially considering how Laporta handled the Gini situation, making it very clear that no one was going to get a salary that was earned and within the clubs means, Dembele is rather foolish to be playing any games right now. Unless he takes a serious wage reduction so we can have room to actually breath financially, he has to go and especially our other pressing needs which I spelled out in the Rebuild thread, he is a valuable piece that we can use to continue this rebuild.

vegitot

Fairplay to Dembele.

Longer contract, better wages, huge signing on fee, plays in country of his birth, gets to relax in no pressure environment closer to friends and family.

Fleeced this finished club for a nice vacation and is returning to his homeland with a fat signing in fee. There is reason I wanted him out after 1 season while his value was still high lmfao.

And here I thought he was stupid, but Fairplay to the lad.

So you mean he is actually smart, not dumb??? Should call him Smartbele.

Bobo32

Well being "dumb" or "smart" on the pitch has nothing to do with real life intelligence.

It is not 100% correlation of course but your statement is obviously false, there is a connection.
Being a smart player on the pitch means having a good pattern recognition ability, which is the same thing an IQ test measures.

Porque

He can't legally have a pre-contract or negotiate with another club, but it will be hard to prove.

With the delicate financial situation it would be best if we can find a buyer now, and put our trust in Trincao and Konrad for one season.

Otherwise we can leave him to play FIFA for a year, let him train with the reserves and tell him he can come in and train at any time he likes. Let's see what shape he turns up with at PSG in a year.

Meanwhile if we wanted a guy who can get the ball and dribble with uncertain end product, we could try and sign Hassan from Villarreal B.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans