Ousmane Dembélé

Some takes here :facepalm:

First of all it was a great, and not average, season just because he managed to stay injury-free the entire season, and now we know why -> physical preparation that Ernie and his stuff were not doing

Then, I will make it very simple:

We have only 3 players in the team that can dribble one or more opponents running with the ball in a forwards direction (and not just be press-resistant with the ball):
Messi
Fati
Dembele

Only 2 of them have that ability combined with burst (Messi has lost it):
Fati
Dembele

Only 1 of them has that ability combined with burst AND with pace:
Dembele

That combination of the 3 abilities above should be enough to tell you why he should be a starter, and why he should be kept at all costs.
He is the only player capable of not only being lethal in the open space, but also breaking low blocks pinned in the penalty box through his movement with the ball in small space.
Without him, and without Fati, you would have an abysmal chance creation, with a sterile circulation and Messi trying always through the middle to dribble 4 or 5 and most of the times failing.

All the rest is just winning coming from standards you do not hold other players against
-Yeah, probably he would suit better a team like Liverpool that would throw early long balls to him. So what? Does it mean that what he can do for Barca is negligible?

-His finishing needs works. Sure, but he scores goals out of the blue that only Messi and Fati do from such a distance. If his finishing was as good as you pretend the standard is, he would have been as good as CR7 of Man UTD days

-His crossing is good if there are players to be at the other end, which is not the case currently.

- Vision, playmaking, and through-balls: irrelevant.
Sorry, that's not his job. It's Messi's and all the other 10s we have packed in the team.

All in all, you think your take on him is that of the club's.
LOL.
It's the exact opposite: club wants to renew him, Laporta is in love with him.
Juve, PSG, Liverpool, UTD have all been interested in him even when injury-ridden.
It's a no-brainer for anyone who has eyes and watches football
The only reason he will go (IF it happens) is him wanting to leave, and not the club wanting him out like is the case with coutinho, griezman, and all the rest.

Dribbling is the most overrated skill. Look at Chelsea they dont have a single player that can dribble. Pulisic can sometimes if left 1v1 beat someone but literally that's it. At city they have mahrez who can sometimes when left 1v1 go past and make a cross, sterling can't dribble and neither can foden. At Liverpool Salah and mane can sometimes get past someone 1v1 but that isnt something they do or force. No top team relies on players dribbling 1 or more people to create chances. At most they put their forwards in 1v1 situations and hope it works out. But barca doesn't do that they want Messi and dembele to dribble past several people who are all around the box because barca wants to play slow and vs parked busses. What makes these teams good is movement and passing so forwards make a lot of runs to receive the ball in dangerous situations and they can shoot or cross, not through dribbling. They create space through pressing, quick passing and fast transition, which Barcelona does neither of.

SmilerBam

Dribbling is the most overrated skill. Look at Chelsea they dont have a single player that can dribble. Pulisic can sometimes if left 1v1 beat someone but literally that's it. At city they have mahrez who can sometimes when left 1v1 go past and make a cross, sterling can't dribble and neither can foden. At Liverpool Salah and mane can sometimes get past someone 1v1 but that isnt something they do or force. No top team relies on players dribbling 1 or more people to create chances. At most they put their forwards in 1v1 situations and hope it works out. But barca doesn't do that they want Messi and dembele to dribble past several people who are all around the box because barca wants to play slow and vs parked busses. What makes these teams good is movement and passing so forwards make a lot of runs to receive the ball in dangerous situations and they can shoot or cross, not through dribbling. They create space through pressing, quick passing and fast transition, which Barcelona does neither of.
Go and support Liverpool, i am tired of these glory hunters fans that are ready to jump on the latesttrend just because our club didn't won the CL for 6 years(boo-hoo). I wonder what Madrid felt between '66 and '98, when didn't win the CL. This new era of fans that think the grass is always greener on the other side is tiresome. Football, like life, comes in cycles. Get used with it. And where the fuck was Liverpool until 4 years ago? Didn't won a league title for 30 years. They had a purple patch these few years, but it's all gone now. Back of scrapping 4th place, like they used to. Also, Mane and Salah are great dribblers and they rely on that pretty often, so you talk out of your arse. At City, Foden can dribble wll, also Bernardo Silva. And Sterling had a shit season,. but he is a very good dribbler and relies on it a lot. And yes, when you have a player like Messi, you gi9ve him the ball. It would be the same at every club. He is head and shoulders the best dribbler and creator in the world, and besides Lewandoski and Haaland the best finisher too. Also, Dumbele doesn't have what it takes to be in this discussion, he is not a great dribbler, he just has speed. That's all.

Go and support Liverpool, i am tired of these glory hunters fans that are ready to jump on the latesttrend just because our club didn't won the CL for 6 years(boo-hoo). I wonder what Madrid felt between '66 and '98, when didn't win the CL. This new era of fans that think the grass is always greener on the other side is tiresome. Football, like life, comes in cycles. Get used with it. And where the fuck was Liverpool until 4 years ago? Didn't won a league title for 30 years. They had a purple patch these few years, but it's all gone now. Back of scrapping 4th place, like they used to. Also, Mane and Salah are great dribblers and they rely on that pretty often, so you talk out of your arse. At City, Foden can dribble wll, also Bernardo Silva. And Sterling had a shit season,. but he is a very good dribbler and relies on it a lot. And yes, when you have a player like Messi, you gi9ve him the ball. It would be the same at every club. He is head and shoulders the best dribbler and creator in the world, and besides Lewandoski and Haaland the best finisher too. Also, Dumbele doesn't have what it takes to be in this discussion, he is not a great dribbler, he just has speed. That's all.

God damn you're dumb i feel sorry for you if that's what you took from my post....

olivis

I just read some stuff about him possibly leaving for free next year.

Oh wow this must be the all-time worst transfer ever if he does.

He'll be worse than Coutinho.

SmilerBam

God damn you're dumb i feel sorry for you if that's what you took from my post....

You said dribbling is overrated, which is not. If you have a very good dribbler in your team, you give him the ball. Of course, it's not the only important skill, you need to have vision and passing ability too to carry a real attacking threat.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

You said dribbling is overrated, which is not. If you have a very good dribbler in your team, you give him the ball. Of course, it's not the only important skill, you need to have vision and passing ability too to carry a real attacking threat.

he is lost, saying dribbling is overrated :facepalm:

Laplacian

Reading his entire post, I am pretty sure he just used the wrong word. I think he meant to say that people underestimate just how rare of a skill elite dribbling is.

SmilerBam

Reading his entire post, I am pretty sure he just used the wrong word. I think he meant to say that people underestimate just how rare of a skill elite dribbling is.

You talk about mine or his? I agree is very rare to find an elite dribbler these days. You can see why. People don't value them anymore. I like Klopp, but his gengerpressing shit took the joy out of football. It's just press, press, press and speed. Variety is better in everything.

Last edited:

Birdy

The one poster arrogantly mocking others about how good he is did same for Semedo and Arthur last season.

Lad is clueless.

Says the guy who replies with the same lines and words over multiple posts without realizing that he has lost the argument.

Dembele is the most overrated player of my lifetime.

One very good season at Dortmund in a system tailored for him and we're still led to believe he's some World Class or elite talent.

I would love you to explain how Tuchel's system at Dortmund was tailor-made for Dembele.
Please

Ridiculous take.
Mount, Pulisic, Haverz, even Kovasic, Jorginho at Chelsea
Mahrez, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Bernando at City
can all dribble.

Dembele's dribbling ability is not even comparable to Adama Traore, let alone Messi. What is his burst and pace in important games??? Even at Barca, De Jong is far better dribbler than him. Trincao and Pedri also despite being way slower.

His crossing, passing, shooting are all mediocre or worse.

And you consider this is a great season from Dembele. Lmao.
Yeah, consider his level, this must be great season.

And you actually compare him to Ronaldo at Man Utd. Gosh. I'm no Ronaldo fan but you no need to insult him that much.

The only reason club keeps hin because of 120 million. If he was bought here only 30 or 40m, he would be sold already.

That's why many here cannot argue properly. You distort what it is being said, in order to make the argument you have to counter appear very poor...

I said Dembele haters here hold him to standards you do not hold other players to.
And you do that by indicating an area he is not as good as others (scoring for instance), and then you seek a very high standard in that area against which you judge the player, while at the same time you try to downplay all the areas he is good at.

If he was scoring as much as you want him to (and pretend that is the standard against which he should be judged), then he would be as good as Ronaldo was in his UTD days.
That's the argument.
Any other claim is a distortion of what I argued.

vegitot

Says the guy who replies with the same lines and words over multiple posts without realizing that he has lost the argument.

I would love you to explain how Tuchel's system at Dortmund was tailor-made for Dembele.
Please

Ridiculous take.
Mount, Pulisic, Haverz, even Kovasic, Jorginho at Chelsea
Mahrez, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Bernando at City
can all dribble.

That's why many here cannot argue properly. You distort what it is being said, in order to make the argument you have to counter appear very poor...

I said Dembele haters here hold him to standards you do not hold other players to.
And you do that by indicating an area he is not as good as others (scoring for instance), and then you seek a very high standard in that area against which you judge the player, while at the same time you try to downplay all the areas he is good at.

If he was scoring as much as you want him to (and pretend that is the standard against which he should be judged), then he would be as good as Ronaldo was in his UTD days.
That's the argument.
Any other claim is a distortion of what I argued.

First of all, he will never be as good as Ronaldo. This is an insult. Ronaldo has brain, Dembele doesn't. That is what seperates them.
Second, club spent 120 million on him. And you think 6 goals in Laliga is the standard??? Your standard is Elche level at best.
Third, his only asset is pace. Beside he is good at nothing. 4 years at Barca and he can not do anything. Simply a very big flop.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Dembele scored 6 goals and had 3 assists in like 30 La Liga games Birdy.

He consistently performs like trash. Loses the ball easily all the time. Whiffs on easy chances. His go-to move is to pull off a couple of fake shots against a defender and then hitting the ball into the defender's legs or shoot it 10m over the goal.

Is this your World Class or elite talent? Is this really what we're paying so much fucking money for? I don't want to argue with you for five pages about his quality or how good he is because I just don't care enough about Dembele to do so.

My opinion is what it is: He's an extremely overrated player and bang average at best.

Home of Barca Fans