Barca Transfers and Rumors

Andresito

Staff member
Definitely wants to come.

Marco Asensio (26) on potentially joining Barcelona from Real Madrid:
"Like Bar?a, there have been many other clubs. I have not thought about it, nor have I evaluated it. I, right now, I can't give you an answer." (Marca)

Porque

He's a Barca fan no?

And Zubi messed up the negotiations by offering 2+2m instead of 4 :lol:

Seems like one of those guys Arsenal would sign to be honest.

He will be a sub at Madrid and a sub here.

gregorrin10

60mil is too rich in my mind. Hopefully we could negotiate it down.

Rodri would be 100mil? Damn.. market today.

Inflation is a biatch

Buying from the PL, and him being one of the corner stones of Pep's team, I don't think he'd be under 100M, even though in a position you don't see the highest fees for. But then again, Tchouameni just last summer was 100M, and it was from Ligue 1, so it's clear the market is only becoming more and more insane, no matter the position you buy for. The simple fact is, every player is worth as much as the club's desire is strong to get him.

And Madrid really wanted Tchouameni, and we'll really want Zubimendi, considering he's Xavi and the club's first (and only) primary target for that position. So if we're really determined to get him, it might just be easier to bite the bullet on that extra 10-20M that we could maybe drive the price down, activate the release clause, and lock him down early, rather than trying to negotiate all summer and risking some other club activating the clause in the end, cause in this market clubs also love to wait until the last moment, so they know exactly what price they need to pay, and then hijack deals.

Andresito

Staff member
He's a Barca fan no?

And Zubi messed up the negotiations by offering 2+2m instead of 4 :lol:

Seems like one of those guys Arsenal would sign to be honest.

He will be a sub at Madrid and a sub here.

Yes. IIRC it was Mallorca's president who in the last second wanted more money from Barca after initially agreeing to a fee. Barca pulled out and he went to Madrid instead.

Messi983

[MENTION=20930]Messi983[/MENTION],

Have you been tracking Arnau Martinez? If so how has he performed. Any high level potential?

Seems he has beat Couto (for now) for the RB spot.

They're sharing minutes so far. Couto started first three games and Arnau last three. Was thinking about this and thought Girona probably thought (or were affraid) that some club could pay Arnau's clause before end of transfer window so they've played Couto until they were sure Arnau will stay. Ofc Michel could have other reasons for his tactical decisions as well though. Will be interesting to see how Girona will handle RB position this year as they're clearly both talented players who need playing time to develop but at the same time it's very likely none of them will actually be at Girona next year.

Of those three games Arnau started I've only watched the last one vs Betis where he has scored early in the game after a nice through ball from LB Miguel Gutierrez (former Castilla player who also had a pretty good game). Overall Arnau's performance was ok. Didn't really stand out to me but I'd say he did what he was supposed to do and his manager should be pleased with his performance. There were a few moments when he (and another former Barca B player Santi Bueno who is also looking like he belongs to La Liga) had some problems with speed of Alex Moreno and skills of Rodri (keep an eye on him, I think he could have a breakthrough season for Betis) but otherwise did his job defensively. Besides the goal didn't really do much of notice offensively besides one run before the end of the game but he's a smart player who doesn't force things and can combine well with his team mates. We've seen in Segunda he can also be much more involved in attacks but probably needs to adapt playing against higher level opponents.

Not sure what his potential is. Probably not world class (those are rare at RB these days though) but if developed properly I think he could become a (borderline) starter at a big club or at worst a very good backup. I've not seen any glaring holes in his game but at only 19 (won't turn 20 until next April) and with this being his first season in La Liga he needs more polishing and experience.

We should definitely follow both Girona's RBs this season. It's a shame they have to share minutes but at the same time they could both also benefit from competing for minutes against other highly regarded youngster.

We'll see how this season will go on but right now I wouldn't mind taking a flier on either Arnau or Couto next summer. From what I've seen I'd say Couto is better in crossing and can also do things on his own in attack (like Alves but ofc not the same quality yet and probably never will be - which doesn't mean he can't still become a very good RB) while Arnau is a more well rounded player as said. That said I'm sceptical if either of them would be ready to came into Barca and take over a RB spot as his own within a year. Maybe in a transition season like last year but not in a team that wants to compete for titles so we'll probably look for someone with a bit more experience.

But then again nobody (not even me who have watched him regularly bossing it in Segunda) expected Pedri would establish himself in XI in first season here so I'm more than willing to give Arnau a chance if he'll be the choosen one and stick with him through (potential) early struggles, especially based on what we've had at RB in last 6-7 years.

There are other youngsters (with more top division experience than Arnau) like Malo Gusto, Vanderson and Frimpong I also like what I've seen from them but will need further scouting to have a clearer opinion on them. And more important than what my amateur eyes see, Barca scouts and sporting department also have 8-9 more months for evaluation and hopefully Cruyff, Alemany and Xavi will select the right guy.

Also, I think Girona as a team is worth following this season. Using many loans they've build a good team with an interesting mix of youth and experience. They were a better team at Villamarin and deserved at least a point. They were missing goal scoring abilities of Stuani (out with heart condition but should be back soon after international break) upfront though and probably also Yangel Herrera (who is more creative than Oriol Romeu or Aleix Garcia) in midfield. Commentators mentioned Taty Castellanos reminds them on his country man Chimy Avila and I think they were quite right. And since I'm a big fan of Chimy I'll probably also start to like Taty more the more I'll watch him. Reinier was inconsistent but I think talent is there and he should develop finally playing regularly after spending last two years on Dortmund's bench. Don't think he'll ever make it in RM but still only 20 and could have a solid career elsewhere.

But besides Arnau and Couto one player I like the most is Atletico's loanee Rodrigo "Roro" Riquelme. Technical, inteligent and hard working player who never stops moving around. Still not sure what his best position is and what Atleti will do with him longterm. The same with Camello (I think we still have a first option on him, might be smart to get one on Riquelme too in potential negotiations for Griezmann) who is also doing ok on loan at Rayo. Both of them had a very successful loan spell in Segunda at Mirandes last season too.

I believe it's time for Atleti to replace Simeone after this season. His defensive system is clearly not working as they don't have top level defenders anymore and don't think most new signings are as commited to "die on the pitch for him" as former generation around Godin, Filipe Luis, Gabi, younger Koke,... were.

They should get a coach who can get the best out of Felix (if not it's better to sell him) and kids like Camello, Riquelme, maybe Victor Mollejo and Manu Sanchez in future. Probably won't happen as he's waiting for a return to EPL but I was thinking Pochettino could be a good choice for Atleti. Not his biggest fan but he would make them play better football and also give a chance to academy players. Atleti are also not really expected to challenge for titles every season so a bit of a lower pressure situation could fit him as well. It's more likely they'll appoint someone like Bordalas who is a similar profile to El Cholo if they'll decide to move on from him though.

Sorry for a bit of OT.

Andresito

Staff member
Jos? Luis Gay? (27) is close to signing a new 5-year deal with Valencia, according to @DepCOPEValencia.

Barcilliant

I would love Zubimendi or Rodri - do not want Neves though

Zubimendi is trash.I am sick of getting these soft Spanish players. Might as well convert Eric Garcia to DM. I think he would be better as a DM than CB. Can play back up CB. We're getting Inigo too so we're well stacked in CB.

gregorrin10

Jos? Luis Gay? (27) is close to signing a new 5-year deal with Valencia, according to @DepCOPEValencia.

That's a shame. For him I mean. He will be a one club man then, but without any trophies to his name.

FIFA 23 also recognized the stall in his development and the mistake he made by already staying at Valencia too long, not to mention even extending, by downgrading him to a 82/83 rating/potential from 83/86. He could've still made it to 85 (the lowest rating of world class), if he left Valencia on a free transfer and joined a top club next summer, but now the downgrade is absolutely deserved. Yes he deserves a 'one club man' trait added, but as for his stats, I'd even give him an 80/83 actually (lack of ambition has to be accounted for), and his playing stats in game actually support that 80 rating.

As for us, time to get Hincapie then, would be the perfect defensive LB (and a great left footed CB if needed) in contrast to an attacking Balde.

Messi983

Linked with Vitor Roque and Vanderson today.

Mentioned Roque a few months back. Just turned 17 and 4 goals in Brasileiro. Marcos Leonardo is probably the young striker to follow in Brazil at the moment though.

Never watched Roque but I've just found this scout report on him. Looks like he's talented but still a work in progress. Which is ofc to be expected at his age.

https://twitter.com/RdScouting/status/1575879369834520576

gregorrin10

Just saw a local report of us being linked (or better yet Lewa recommending him) Jakub Kiwior, who plays for Spezia, and who has risen to becoming a starter at LB for Poland recently, not sure if there's any truth to it though...probably not. Just thought I mention it, might be a name to look out for this season, if any of you are watching Serie A more often, to keep an eye on him.

ajnotkeith

Just saw a local report of us being linked (or better yet Lewa recommending him) Jakub Kiwior, who plays for Spezia, and who has risen to becoming a starter at LB for Poland recently, not sure if there's any truth to it though...probably not. Just thought I mention it, might be a name to look out for this season, if any of you are watching Serie A more often, to keep an eye on him.

I watched many of Spezia's games last season so I know Kiwior very well. Last season he was played DM despite being a natural CB and did well there as a destroyer type, great stamina, great in the tackle, tenacious, but weak on the ball and carrying it, passing not great etc. He had one of the highest distance run per game and ball recoveries in Serie A.

Good player but not sure if he's Barca level because of those flaws, but he could end up in a EL level team in the future.

Home of Barca Fans