Neto

Devils

Neto is a stunning goalkeeper.

Nothing wrong with signing him.

People seem to forget what happened when VV got injured and we had to rely on Pinto for a large portion of the season.

A quality back-up GK is a must!

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Valencia needed 35mil before 1st of July. we needed a good backup GK in order to replace Cilessen. good deal for both parties.

we would have never sold Cillesen for 35mil, to any club. we could have sold him for something like 20 or under, but then we would still have to get a good backup. or we could have kept de 15-20 mil for Cilessen and put Pena in goal, but that would have been a risky move.

so yeah, sporting matters were taken into account. we got an equal level replacement to Cillesen while also getting 35 mil on the books for next season. this might come in handy once we transfer griezman or neymar :lol:

Good thing you don't work in finance or sport

We didn't need to sell Cillessen for 35M, 20-25M was what he was valued at - in the end, we did not get anything in terms of the investment in the player apart from a player who is legitimately a notch below and at higher wages (Double) rather than you know actually promote Inaki (Low salary & no buyout). But sure, sporting matters were taken into account

Leo_Messi

Another absurd transfer from the useless board. We are selling a better goalkeeper to buy an inferior goalkeeper (same age) for the exact same price.:lol: It has to be said that Neto is a very good backup but why spend that kind of money on a backup that will play at most 5-8 games each season? Does anyone seriously believe that it would be impossible to buy a reliable backup for 35€ million?

Denis Suárez is close to joining Celta (not Valencia) and Rafinha will be sold for peanuts (as usual) with 1 season left on his contract and just returning from another devastating knee injury.

Més que un charity.

Last edited:

malvolio

Good thing you don't work in finance or sport

We didn't need to sell Cillessen for 35M, 20-25M was what he was valued at - in the end, we did not get anything in terms of the investment in the player apart from a player who is legitimately a notch below and at higher wages (Double) rather than you know actually promote Inaki (Low salary & no buyout). But sure, sporting matters were taken into account

you seem like the expert, but you didn't enlighten me one bit just like to talk shit.

my humble non-finance, non-sport opinin: 35mil in the books on 1st of July looks better than 20mil. also, we are paying 26+9 in addons to valencia.

neto is a proven la liga goalkeeper, who played as a starter for a club who qualified for the CL. cillesen rubbed the bench for the last 3 years. why is neto a step below the dutchman?

were did you get the wage numbers from?

pena is an unknown quantity right now. if MAtS gets injured you can't play a CL tie with Pena in goal.

Last edited:

clemente

Another absurd transfer from the useless board. We are selling a better goalkeeper to buy an inferior goalkeeper (same age) for the exact same price.:lol: It has to be said that Neto is a very good backup but why spend that kind of money on a backup that will play at most 5-8 games each season? Does anyone seriously believe that it would be impossible to buy a reliable backup for 35€ million?

Denis Suárez is close to joining Celta (not Valencia) and Rafinha will be sold for peanuts (as usual) with 1 season left on his contract and just returning from another devastating knee injury.

Més que un charity.

Yeah lets keep a player that wants to leave.

michelco

Marcelino kicked him out for throwing a hissy fit when being benched for Jaume in the last games of the season. Neto has to understand that he's coming as a bench warmer right? He's in his prime years, it's just very odd. I mean sure, he'll probably win a league title atleast but I never understood players who feel joy winning titles when they've contributed fuck all the whole season. He'll get what, 10 games tops

malvolio

Marcelino kicked him out for throwing a hissy fit when being benched for Jaume in the last games of the season. Neto has to understand that he's coming as a bench warmer right? He's in his prime years, it's just very odd. I mean sure, he'll probably win a league title atleast but I never understood players who feel joy winning titles when they've contributed fuck all the whole season. He'll get what, 10 games tops

if he is that stupid and we have to sell after a year, then we can label this as a bad move. what other similar level GKs, that are ok with rubbing the bench, where available?

Leo_Messi

Yeah lets keep a player that wants to leave.

I never knew that selling Cillessen to Valencia (with zero profit as we bought Neto for the exact same price!) was the board's sole option to offload him. Great "business" as usual.

If this obscure deal had somehow been a part of the plan to potentially offload Denis Suárez and Rafinha to Valencia for a combined price of €25-30 million as rumored, I would not have criticized this deal too much but that does not appear to be the case.

As for this deal strengthening our relations with Valencia, they have been good for years. Especially from 2016 onwards.

So please explain why this deal should be hailed? As I wrote, does anyone seriously think that buying a 30 year old Neto for €35 million was the sole option out there to find a reliable and experienced substitute for ter Stegen?

If they wanted to circumvent the books (as this transfer indicates) they could have done a much better job at that too. However one has to be braindead to expect much from this board. Mediocrity on almost every front has been accepted for too long. Even infecting parts (significant) of the club's fanbase as can be seen!

Cillessen was one of the few assets that we had that 1) we could get a decent amount of money for, 2) wanted to leave openly.

Instead we did not earn a cent on his transfer and got a worse replacement.

Last edited:

malvolio

I never knew that selling Cillessen to Valencia (with zero profit as we bought Neto for the exact same price!) was the board's sole option to offload him. Great "business" as usual.

the deal was a straight swap basically, with some FFP dodging sprinkled in between.

So please explain why this deal should be hailed? As I wrote, does anyone seriously think that buying a 30 year old Neto for €35 million was the sole option out there to find a reliable and experienced substitute for ter Stegen?

this is not a genius deal, by any stretch of the imagination. but, what were the other options on the market? and the deal could have been made at 55mil, would have been the same as we got it back.

If they wanted to circumvent the books (as this transfer indicates) they could have done a much better job at that too.

could be, but this seems like an easy one. how many clubs would have been up for this and what GK would they have provided for the swap. also, would cilessen have been ok to move to any club? is it better to play for everton or a CL qualified valencia? he seems to enjoy life in spain, who wouldn't...

Cillessen was one of the few assets that we had that 1) we could get a decent amount of money for, 2) wanted to leave openly.

so a 30 year old reserve GK, that wants to leave the club(openly said it) is an asset and player you can move for big money. yeah right :lol:

Instead we did not earn a cent on his transfer and got a worse replacement.

we could have got 20 mil for him(if he would have moved to that bidder) and got a shittier replacement or taken a gamble on pena. and it seems bids weren't that many for him as he could have very well went to psg or some other club.

don't know if neto will actually be as good for us, but we got a starting GK from a CL qualified la liga team. this board has done far more shittier deals than this one.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

the deal was a straight swap basically, with some FFP dodging sprinkled in between.

this is not a genius deal, by any stretch of the imagination. but, what were the other options on the market? and the deal could have been made at 55mil, would have been the same as we got it back.

could be, but this seems like an easy one. how many clubs would have been up for this and what GK would they have provided for the swap. also, would cilessen have been ok to move to any club? is it better to play for everton or a CL qualified valencia? he seems to enjoy life in spain, who wouldn't...

so a 30 year old reserve GK, that wants to leave the club(openly said it) is an asset and player you can move for big money. yeah right :lol:

we could have got 20 mil for him(if he would have moved to that bidder) and got a shittier replacement or taken a gamble on pena. and it seems bids weren't that many for him as he could have very well went to psg or some other club.

don't know if neto will actually be as good for us, but we got a starting GK from a CL qualified la liga team. this board has done far more shittier deals than this one.

I am fully aware of that hence the "zero profit" comment.

Are you trying to tell me that we could not have found a goalkeeper with similar experience and a similar level like Neto (let us be honest he is no world beater or some exceptional goalkeeper) for the price that we paid for Neto? If that is the case we fundamentally disagree.

I understand that you can't force a sale to club x or y if player x or y is not interested in said club but given the many rumors surrounding Cillessen it would not have been unrealistic (even for our useless board) to have been able to sell him for a nice sum of money. At least €20 million.

Cillessen had an impressive stint at the club (very few mistakes), is more or less a complete goalkeeper with great experience and is the first-choice goalkeeper for the Netherlands. 30 years is not old for a goalkeeper. Not every transfer of a footballer that wants out will necessary be a bad transfer at all. If the footballer is a good player with a good reputation like Cillessen and a good age for a goalkeeper like Jasper, his value will not suddenly plummet.

All I was saying is that it is not a good deal at all. We sold a better goalkeeper (with zero profit) and got a worse one in return. Who just fell out with his manager at Valencia and publicly was complaining that we was not playing enough. Unlike Cillessen who was an exemplary second goalie for us for 3 years.

Yes, the board has done far, far worser deals but that should not somehow absolve them of any criticism for this deal just because it is not a completely shitty deal or a terrible deal even. As I wrote, Neto is a very good reserve goalie to have but we could have done better IMO.

Anyway it looks like we might offload Rafinha to Valencia so there is still some hope.

Last edited:

malvolio

Are you trying to tell me that we could not have found a goalkeeper with similar experience and a similar level like Neto (let us be honest he is no world beater or some exceptional goalkeeper) for the price that we paid for Neto? If that is the case we fundamentally disagree.

hmm don't know really. what good GK was available to sit on our bench? genuine question

Arizona Scott

It is no where near clear JC is better or more valuable than Neto. Over the past 2 years in la liga his save % is only behind Oblak (path past two years) and MATS (MATS was better last 2 years ago, Neto's better last year). At the same age JC has never proven himself as a starter in a top league while Neto has.

30-35 mil seems too much for either, the fact they are for each other so these figures are inflated makes it a wash. Getting 15-20 for Neto next year (worst case) is similar to getting 15-20 for JC now, and we buy another year. And if he is happy/settled as the #2--terrific.

Personally i also hope we sell Denis to them but keep Rafinha. The moments Rafinha has been healthy he is not a bad emergency/bench option and seems fine with this role--selling him for a very low fee or underwriting it for performance/injury means we assume the risk but if it works out the other team gets the benefit. I would not be happy with that arrangement--would be more disappointing than a GK swap.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It looks like Valencia might not buy Suarez after all and they don't even want to pay 15m for Rafinha. I am not sure what benefit there is to gain by helping them. It is not like we are getting Lee Kang-in.

35m is way too much for an average keeper like Neto. Keylor Navas is reportedly to be sold for only 10m.

Idiotic deal all around.

malvolio

35m is way too much for an average keeper like Neto. Keylor Navas is reportedly to be sold for only 10m.

neither neto or cilessen are worth that much. price was agreed because it benefited valencia for FFP, and i guess it's benefiting to us also since we pay 26 upfront.

so don't know why people keep banging on about the 35mil. they could have done it for 70mil.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
you seem like the expert, but you didn't enlighten me one bit just like to talk shit.

my humble non-finance, non-sport opinin: 35mil in the books on 1st of July looks better than 20mil. also, we are paying 26+9 in addons to valencia.

neto is a proven la liga goalkeeper, who played as a starter for a club who qualified for the CL. cillesen rubbed the bench for the last 3 years. why is neto a step below the dutchman?

were did you get the wage numbers from?

pena is an unknown quantity right now. if MAtS gets injured you can't play a CL tie with Pena in goal.

Compared to you, definitely an expert and certainly capable of deducing simple arithmetic

Effectively swapping Neto for Cillessen when Cillessen makes 10k less in weekly wages to Neto means two simple things (Follow along). One, Barca will be paying half million euros more per season (in a 4 year contract = 2M) rather than Cillessen and more than a million euros per season more than Inaki Pena who is already at the club with the B team. Two, Barcelona receive zero euros net in terms of transfer fee in the swap rather than selling Cillessen for 15-25M meaning their net transfer is again, zero. Ultimately, the 'deal' means we swapped a settled keeper for a 1 year older one who is not rated as high yet paid more in wages. On financial balance, a poor deal. On sporting balance, a downgrade. In what universe can this be viewed as anything but a failure

Home of Barca Fans