Ansu Fati (loaned to Brighton)

Rory

Don't care, he's certainly not better than Sancho.

Haha fair enough. Wasn't an aggressive line of questioning, just curious as to who you'd put 3rd. Sancho of last season is better than Fati. This year Fati is only 2 goals away from Sancho's tally despite injuries.

Laplacian

Haha fair enough. Wasn't an aggressive line of questioning, just curious as to who you'd put 3rd. Sancho of last season is better than Fati. This year Fati is only 2 goals away from Sancho's tally despite injuries.

Sure, but there's more to football than just scoring. Sancho's overall game is just in general way better than Fati's.

I'm not trying to diss Fati here, but there's a huge trend of users here thinking [Insert Barcelona player] playing well for us for a decent stretch automatically qualifies him as one of the best players (or best young players) in his position. Like Arthur doing well for a few months and being touted as one of the young best midfielders in the world.

Fati's promising, exciting and I look forward to his growth just as much as anyone else here, but is way too premature to consider him one of the best young attackers in the game. I don't know who's top 3, but there's a good chunk of players I would consider to be quite ahead of him in performances + experience.

Rory

Sure, but there's more to football than just scoring. Sancho's overall game is just in general way better than Fati's.

I'm not trying to diss Fati here, but there's a huge trend of users here thinking [Insert Barcelona player] playing well for us for a decent stretch automatically qualifies him as one of the best players (or best young players) in his position. Like Arthur doing well for a few months and being touted as one of the young best midfielders in the world.

Fati's promising, exciting and I look forward to his growth just as much as anyone else here, but is way too premature to consider him one of the best young attackers in the game. I don't know who's top 3, but there's a good chunk of players I would consider to be quite ahead of him in performances + experience.

Agree people get hyped up. With Fati I feel like it might be different because he's kept scoring regardless of the manager and even for the national team. Of course time will tell with him. Could be another Bojan for all we know.

bastardo

It happens with all young Barca players. The longer they're injured/not playing with us, the more overhyped they get. It happened with Dembele many times.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Cannot say he's better than Sancho based on sample size although if he stayed healthy and had a breakout season where he scored 15+ or even 20+ goals in the league it would have turned into a discussion..

I won't be surprised if he ends up being better, but a long way to go.

fergus90

Very well said. There's a thin line between getting excited over a new talent's performances and then people overrating their current abilities. Someone recently in the Pedri thread said that he's the most talented youngster they've ever seen.

Players need time to learn and grow, but this current Barca has hardly any players that would get into any team. That's a few years of experience away yet.

Rory

Depends what you define as youngster also. I class u21 as youngster so Mbappe isn?t one. Fati probably hits the top 5 u21 forwards in the world. Not a hype job, just what he?s shown.

fergus90

Depends what you define as youngster also. I class u21 as youngster so Mbappe isn?t one. Fati probably hits the top 5 u21 forwards in the world. Not a hype job, just what he?s shown.

His finishing this season had been class and very clinical, looked like he couldn't miss even if he wanted to. Still, obviously think he's got a long way to go. I guess I just hold a more pessimistic view on talents though. Seen many teenage talents not quite make the level after looking like the next biggest superstar.

Similarly, some players get written off at 22/23 and end up developing into excellent footballers a bit later on. Guess there is just many variables involved though, injuries, trust of your manager, playstyle of the team etc.

khaled_a_d

His finishing this season had been class and very clinical, looked like he couldn't miss even if he wanted to. Still, obviously think he's got a long way to go. I guess

We are talking about talents though, we are comparing them to each other.
My statement was about Fati being 3rd best young attacker, and I stated the possibility of being biased.
But is it outrageous? Fati finished 2nd to Halaand in golden boy award, over Sancho who was 4th. That is a neutral award and not a Barca related one.

I just hold a more pessimistic view on talents though. Seen many teenage talents not quite make the level after looking like the next biggest superstar.

It isn't about pessimistic or optimistic, the truth is every year there is 20 or 30 "young talents" we here about, but the truth there is how many true football stars? 50? 60? How many all time great even on their position? 10? 15? How many "generational talent" at a time? 3 or 4? And those are players aged 20-33 or around that, so from every 30 youngsters X 13 years there is only very few who can be superstars. So those kids get filtered basically.

At the end, many players who were hyped failed, but people seems to forget that back in the day even Messi and CR7 (especially the later) had many doubters.

fergus90

We are talking about talents though, we are comparing them to each other.
My statement was about Fati being 3rd best young attacker, and I stated the possibility of being biased.
But is it outrageous? Fati finished 2nd to Halaand in golden boy award, over Sancho who was 4th. That is a neutral award and not a Barca related one.

It isn't about pessimistic or optimistic, the truth is every year there is 20 or 30 "young talents" we here about, but the truth there is how many true football stars? 50? 60? How many all time great even on their position? 10? 15? How many "generational talent" at a time? 3 or 4? And those are players aged 20-33 or around that, so from every 30 youngsters X 13 years there is only very few who can be superstars. So those kids get filtered basically.

At the end, many players who were hyped failed, but people seems to forget that back in the day even Messi and CR7 (especially the later) had many doubters.

Maybe pessimistic was the wrong word to use in this instance, and I don't think it's as simple to categorize someone as 'optimistic' or pessimistic, let's say I'm more reserved about getting too excited about a player until they are performing at a consistently high level most weeks for a few years.

I guess also I don't see enough other 'hyped' u21 talents to see if Fati is really head and shoulders above most others his age group. I'm just cautious to think we might be set in a certain position for 'x' amount of years based on an 18-year-old with barely a year's senior football under his belt. Of course, as an admirer of Barcelona, I want him to succeed as I do with any player that plays there.

But as they say, one day you're the cock of the walk, the next a feather duster. So fingers crossed he continues his development on the right path!

snowy

He also was ranked top 1 in DAZN under 21 top talent segment a few months back.

It's great to see how daring and playful he plays. Super chill on the ball and unafraid to take risks. Always trying to make stuff happen even if it means missing. That's cool! :thumbsup:

Kuchi

What and why are we still talking about him? He's done and gone, his career finished before it even started, which is tragical as he showed amazing potential.

Might come off as cynical, but stop expecting his prodigal return to save us, he is done.

Home of Barca Fans