Ansu Fati (loaned to Brighton)

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Has discomfort in his other knee. Common stuff after applying more pressure on the healthy knee when having an injured/recovered one. This will be a bitch to deal with

vegitot

Had 1 dribble per game in 24 games in 19/20 and 1.6 in 7 games in 20/21. The sample for this season it too small but it's currently just 0.5. It will take him some time to get back in form and become confident in dribbling again. I expect him to become a 2.5/3 dribbles per game player by his peak

I don't think he will ever be an elite dribbler. His pace is questionable after that injury, also his close control is not really gifted.

BBZ8800

Be patient. He will come good. He'll be our new 10 for the long term

I have posted some studies a lot of times in the past who show that a physical peak in terms of pace for football players is up to age of 24-25 iirc.
But some have a peak even earlier and start to decline in explosiveness even in the age of 22-23.

So, if we would rate player's pace, if someone has a pace 10/10 aged 21, then his pace will drop to 8/10 aged 28 and to 5/10 aged 32, for 90% of players.
The problem is: if a player is slow at the age of 19 (Fati never had too much pace and now after injuries, he is even slower), that means that if his current pace is 5/10 or 6/10, that after the age 25, he will decline and be even heavier and slower.
Aged 28 or 30, he will be several times slower than today.

I am not saying that he will make it or flop, since I am still torn whether he is:
1. a genius with some flaws and bad touches
2. or a meh player with meh skills and pace who hit a run of hot form and scored a few fluke goals

Either way, even if he is a genius, fans will have to accept that, he will either be:
1. a slow-ish striker who is good at finishing
2. a slow-ish striker who is good at playmaking (without dribbles) and finishing
= but who will, in both cases decline in mid 20s due to his low natural pace, even if he doesn't suffer any new injuries from now on.

So, when a lot of fans are calling him the new Messi, the new no10, the new leader and how we will dominate for 15 years with Fati and Pedri, those are probably world-breaking records in terms of premature overhyping and going overboard.

But since we are broke, we don't have other options plus fans are desperate for new hope and new faces.

If he'll our no10 for the next 10 years, that will surely be something new.
In 2006, we won a CL with: ultrafast Ronaldinho, out of this world fast speed-demon Etoo, insanely fast Guily and very fast and agile new young kid Messi.
In 2009, we won with Messi-Etoo and even Henry wasn't slow.
In 2011, we probably had the slowest attacking lineup for our standards, but the whole team was working perfectly with Messi-Xavi-Iniesta-Busi-Alves
In 2015, we won with speed/dribble demons Messi-Neymar plus Suarez.

Honestly, stats and history are against Fati reaching world class level as a winger-playmaker.
But he might reach a nice level and be a useful player for us.
But him being a new Messi or a new leader, imo, no way.
slowish, injury prone, can't dribble.
Only if he will somehow bang 30-40 goals per season.

Last edited:

JohnN

I wouldn't put all my hopes on a 19 yo who got injured for a whole year. We need to wait and see.
If he had developed last season normally, we would be able to make some kind of prediction. It's all a mystery now.
He looks slow to me though and that rarely gets better with age. I mean, remember Messi at 19. He was a fucking bullet. That's the age where your pace is at its peak.
So, I don't expect him to be faster anytime soon.
If he can develop his 1v1 take ons though, with that finishing (assuming it hasn't been luck) he can be good for us.

SmilerBam

I wouldn't put all my hopes on a 19 yo who got injured for a whole year. We need to wait and see.
If he had developed last season normally, we would be able to make some kind of prediction. It's all a mystery now.
He looks slow to me though and that rarely gets better with age. I mean, remember Messi at 19. He was a fucking bullet. That's the age where your pace is at its peak.
So, I don't expect him to be faster anytime soon.
If he can develop his 1v1 take ons though, with that finishing (assuming it hasn't been luck) he can be good for us.

Dribbling ability can be polished, but not learned. Fati doesn't have it, he'll never have it.

mc_lovin

It doesn't sound too serious, and thankfully not the "bad" knee. But no doubt it's frustrating as hell when you see other top clubs playing the same forwards every three days for years.

Zidane82

It doesn't sound too serious, and thankfully not the "bad" knee. But no doubt it's frustrating as hell when you see other top clubs playing the same forwards every three days for years.
Two of our real class players picking up injuries so young is a nightmare

Messi983

At least we can play the same midfield maestro for years. :busquets:

Home of Barca Fans