Ilaix Moriba

Messi983

Some good posts lately but also great overreactions as expected earlier in the thread.

Give the kid some break. He shouldn't be our 12th player in this phase of the season. It's good Koeman believes in him but it can cause him more harm than good putting him into situations he's not ready for yet.

In ideal circumstances Pjanić should be the one coming on when Busi got injured (or even start ahead of him; I'm sure if given a fair chance from the start of the season he'd show as much if not more than Busi) and then Ilaix coming on with 20 minutes left for Pedri. Also throw in Puig too for one of the CBs if we're going all in.

But Koeman has put himself in this situation by ignoring his bench for months (I've posted that graph/picture from Sport of Koeman's use of the bench in his thread) and trusting players he shouldn't use that much. Umtiti the prime example. Firpo has done well coming on in the 2nd game vs PSG and hasn't played since yet Umtiti is still starting some games. Alba can't play 90 minutes every three days, why not give Firpo a start or two? Or why not use him as a LCB if Koeman insists with 3 at the back (which I've said many times I dislike). He couldn't be worse than Umtiti and probably also an improvement over Lenglet.

Further, Trincao had some good games in March but wasn't given any regular minutes since then unless when we're in desperate mode (throwing 5 forwards in for the last 10-15 minutes).

Sure, bench is far from great but I still think some of those players were mismanaged and deserved more minutes earlier in the season. Don't expect anything to change now with only three games left and it's too late anyway. Likes of Pedri and FDJ are already burned out by being overplayed for months.

BusiTheKing

He hasn't really shown any indication that he can do more at this level than sort of avoid losing the ball.

Once (or if) he starts showing signs that he can actually be a competitive player, he should get more chances. Until then, he shouldn't be more than a 85th minute relief sub.

serghei

I'm a bit worried about him. Initially, I took the comments saying he is slow with a grain of salt, but IMO he's for sure slow on the first meters. No explosion with this one, although he seems strong. Maybe it is too soon, but maybe this is how he'll be a few years from now too.

Andresito

Staff member
Maybe he'll have the mobility of Yaya, slow in the start but fast once he's off. Still not grown physically so plenty can change. I for one don't think he's utilizing his body optimally when shielding the ball etc.
It looked the same in the B team. He's not ready yet, but Koeman trying his best to squeeze out his potential earlier than it naturally would blossom.

Bobo32

I'm a bit worried about him. Initially, I took the comments saying he is slow with a grain of salt, but IMO he's for sure slow on the first meters. No explosion with this one, although he seems strong. Maybe it is too soon, but maybe this is how he'll be a few years from now too.

I think he has relied on physicality throughout the years, but against professional adults he can't do it immediately.
Much of his technique and "vision" would also be secondary to his physique I imagine, sort of like Henry...

Right now he's pretty terrible, but I can see him developing a lot in just a year or two, when getting used to the new tempo.
I can say with certainty, he won't ever be a starting midfielder for the Barcelona I want to see though, he doesn't have the true Barca-DNA, he lacks the true vision and the basics.
He can be of use as a sub or as a starter sometimes, but the best use would be to get a great transfer fee for him, maybe with a percentage on the next sale as well...

JamDav1982

Catalan press claiming he is asking for big money to renew.

If that is case sell him or put back in B team and wait for Nico/Gavi to come through and want to be there to earn place.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Won't be surprised if that's the case. Was a pain to renew his La Masia contract from what I remember.

The report seem to come from Gerard Romero though. The biggest clown in the press in Barcelona.

jamrock

That's what happens when you gave him big money to renew when he was just a kid, he's gonna want bigger money.

JamDav1982

That's what happens when you gave him big money to renew when he was just a kid, he's gonna want bigger money.

He wanted big money back then. It is why he stayed.

The decision is then to pay him it or not.

Alternative is he leaves back then. Club kept him and now up to board if he is worth demands now.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He needs to realize that he is young, has a lot ahead of him and he needs to be appreciative that Koeman trusted him and played him regularly toward the end of the season and that the club is in dire financial situation.

Who is going to pay him more (considering his age and COVID right now) and promise him more playing time anyways?

FinBarcelonafan

He needs to realize that he is young, has a lot ahead of him and he needs to be appreciative that Koeman trusted him and played him regularly toward the end of the season and that the club is in dire financial situation.

Who is going to pay him more (considering his age and COVID right now) and promise him more playing time anyways?

PSG and City. They have money to throw at prospect.

Home of Barca Fans