4 - Ronald Araújo

Joan

He was caught on the wrong foot a few times tonight. That had more to do with it than his speed.

MTL_Barca

No CB can just straight up catch these lightning fast players, but he was cought out of position a couple times.

Still, can't expect to not have any problems when playing so high up and losing the ball in stupid situations, like Frenkie playing that horrific pass straight to Williams etc.

Blanco

This player is special. Koeman is not getting enough praise for promoting him and Nico. I read somewhere that Florentino wants him and we'll try to get him if he doesn't renew. I think it would be possible if Eric Garcia wasn't injured and Xavi was still playing Araujo at RB. But there is still chance if Barca staff decide that he is not that good, because of his technique and doesn't offer him the contract he deserves.

cro-man

Say what you want but everytime we play him as cb our defense is not working. His best games so far were as a kind of of rightback with two cbs besides him. His loossing his marker too easily and his positioning most of the time is not existing. how obvious his flaws are you can see in that situation were they crossed to williams inaki who was alone between him and pique and there was plenty of time to defend and not to loose his marker and everything he did was just watching the sky and loose sight of williams. Williams almost scored because of that. Still cant believe how easy this was only because his doesnt know how to position himself in certain situations.

I can see his strenghts and why people like him and i like him too but if he doesnt sort out these flaws he wont make it as a pure cb.

Porque

Say what you want but everytime we play him as cb our defense is not working. His best games so far were as a kind of of rightback with two cbs besides him. His loossing his marker too easily and his positioning most of the time is not existing. how obvious his flaws are you can see in that situation were they crossed to williams inaki who was alone between him and pique and there was plenty of time to defend and not to loose his marker and everything he did was just watching the sky and loose sight of williams. Williams almost scored because of that. Still cant believe how easy this was only because his doesnt know how to position himself in certain situations.

I can see his strenghts and why people like him and i like him too but if he doesnt sort out these flaws he wont make it as a pure cb.

Good point. Our best run over the past 3 seasons was under Koeman with a back 3 when Pique and Araujo were injured.

Mingueza-Frenkie-Lenglet

2bda2927e4c095b4b6d6c9dbef80fb82.gif

Messi983

Of course he needs to improve and I'm sure he will with experience but keep in mind he has to cover for 4 grandpas playing alongside/in front of him.

cro-man

Of course he needs to improve and I'm sure he will with experience but keep in mind he has to cover for 4 grandpas playing alongside/in front of him.

I hope so and you are right in some point because of his strenght and speed he does cover some good ground. Still If you watch him carefully everyone around him seems to be confused because of his positioning. Sometimes you can feel the insecurity when they pass to him. De jong had two blunders when he tried to pass to him and i blame him first but you can feel the insecurity around araujo.

If he can improve on this i have no doubt that he will be a worldclass defender but the question is if. Positioning is a big part of the game and one if not the most important one for a defender.

Last edited:

Joan

I like Araujo. He’s got plenty of talent and right predispositions but positioning has always been his greatest weakness. He sometimes cannot read his man’s intentions to save his life. Would be even more obvious if he wasn’t this fast.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
His passing is really not very good to put it mildly. Lucky not to concede from one of his giveaways. Was a rock defensively 1v1 but better teams will make use of his ball-playing liabilities, either by pressing him or by giving him time on the ball as they know he cannot play the progressive pass.

Rory

His passing is really not very good to put it mildly. Lucky not to concede from one of his giveaways. Was a rock defensively 1v1 but better teams will make use of his ball-playing liabilities, either by pressing him or by giving him time on the ball as they know he cannot play the progressive pass.

I thought his passing was okay, not much movement ahead for him. Busquets seems to pull away from receiving the ball so there's not a lot of options. He's massively improved his first touch too. He gets it out of his feet a lot better than he used to. I think he'll improve little by little. By no means a wizard with it but just about good enough to not cause issues.

Home of Barca Fans