Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: How old are you?

Banned

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaOG View Post
    @El Gato you might be surprised to hear that i teach international relations and political philosophy at the uni level
    wooooow respect dude !

Villarato!
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @El Gato you might be surprised to hear that i teach international relations and political philosophy at the uni level
    Well fuck me sideways...

Good for you brother

You sure you don't prefer PE.. ?
    Some are boring, some are not.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PhD in political philosophy?

Banned

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    PhD in political philosophy?
    phd candidate in political science specializing in political philosophy. 4th year. should finish in ~2 more years.

lol, that might sound fancy, but trust me it isnt. the academic job market is in the shitters and the prospects are not good. well, i am deep in it now so i might as well finish the degree...who knows after that

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phd candidate in political science specializing in political philosophy. 4th year. should finish in ~2 more years.

lol, that might sound fancy, but trust me it isnt. the academic job market is in the shitters and the prospects are not good. well, i am deep in it now so i might as well finish the degree...who knows after that
    I know mate.
    Same situation: 5th year in my PhD in Philosophy.
    Academic job market awaits for me as well

Forum D'Amigos Tactical Unit - BBZ Containment Office
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a sizable proportion of doctorates (or to be doctorates) on Barcaforum it seems. Cruyff and Pep influence

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i am deep in it now so i might as well finish the degree...who knows after that
    Just follow your heart. I had an offer 10 years ago from a professor to stay and make an academic career in Electrical engineering. Never had the passion for it, though, so I decided I'd feel more complete being part of the family agriculture business. Don't regret it, not one bit. I love being out there on the field, in nature. Business is good and I believe I made the right choice.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know mate.

You two should also explore beyond the academic job markets. You can make a decent pitch for industry if you actually narrow down on your skillset and market that as opposed to the actual PhD you receive. IIRC Google's chief of decision/data sciences has a PhD in neuroscience/psychology (and not pure mathematics or statistics as one would expect).

Villarato!
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lads, sod academia, honestly. If somebody told me after 4 years of the PhD I had to do some tenure position, post-doc or whatever else I'd sooner go and flip burgers for a living
    Some are boring, some are not.

Banned

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know mate.
    then you understand my predicament..i feel you bro

Banned

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i mean, dont get me wrong: i love what i do and my chosen subject matter. id be very happy to continue down this path if it led to secure employment. chances are it wont, though.

in all likelihood i will end up going the route kingleo suggests, pitching my skillset in the corporate/civilian job market. even my friends/colleagues with multiple post-docs, published books and journal articles, stellar teaching records cant find secure employment so... the times are tough!

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i mean, dont get me wrong: i love what i do and my chosen subject matter. id be very happy to continue down this path if it led to secure employment. chances are it wont, though.

in all likelihood i will end up going the route kingleo suggests, pitching my skillset in the corporate/civilian job market. even my friends/colleagues with multiple post-docs, published books and journal articles, stellar teaching records cant find secure employment so... the times are tough!
    In the States at least, there is a high demand for individuals with the ability to analyze "real world evidence" (aka observational study data). AFAIK, that's a principle common to a lot of PhDs and whatever you haven't learned can be easily picked up on in a few months/on the job IMO (since the point of a PhD is to learn how to learn).

Banned

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    In the States at least, there is a high demand for individuals with the ability to analyze "real world evidence" (aka observational study data). AFAIK, that's a principle common to a lot of PhDs and whatever you haven't learned can be easily picked up on in a few months/on the job IMO (since the point of a PhD is to learn how to learn).
    yeah, that's true. unfortunately for me my work doesnt involve statistical analysis so i will probably need a bit of training in that once i graduate. but thats fine. if nothing else, the phd teaches you to learn efficiently...as you rightly point out

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not a knack on any of you, but I never really understood the appeal of a PhD. I am an electrical engineer and I guess it's different for my field and maybe perhaps because I'm in the US. I realize academic prestige is important to some and there are some people who grow up in such households. Everyone I know that pursued a PhD in any engineering field was absolutely miserable. Also you are limiting your career to more academia-related work. Sure, you can work as an R&D engineer at Intel, AMD, Apple, etc. but you are in that position mainly because you are a PhD. Try applying to a low pressure entry engineer job or software engineering job, you'll have a difficult time getting hired because you'd be quite overqualified. It's weird, but anecdotally from everyone I know those who have bachelors or masters have easier time with jobs than those that get a PhD and want to try something outside of the realm of academia.
    Se Queda

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingLeo10 View Post
    There's a sizable proportion of doctorates (or to be doctorates) on Barcaforum it seems. Cruyff and Pep influence
    With the amount of petty arguments BarcaOG gets in, I would honestly never guess he would be
    Se Queda