Marcus Thuram

Andresito

Staff member
He is young, he is currently paying Borrussia Mochensomthing, our lowest contracts are higher then his current i can bet.

Could be, but we're not competing against Gladbach for his signing, we're competing with other clubs that are ready to pay more. If we can't match that it doesn't matter if our offer is double his current contract. Teams could be offering triple.

Rory

He wont accept less money due to contract being structured that way and all are doing is paying more upfront than spreading it across the contract. Which would be worse for club either way.

Can’t know he wouldn’t accept higher signing bonus in return for lower wages, not talking a pittance, same amount of money being paid, just in a different way. In fact due to inflation each year taking higher amount up front would be better value for him.

Rory

Could be, but we're not competing against Gladbach for his signing, we're competing with other clubs that are ready to pay more. If we can't match that it doesn't matter if our offer is double his current contract. Teams could be offering triple.

He’s currently worth 50m+ in this market. If we signed him and he was shite for a year we’d still be able to sell for 30-50 based on previous seasons.

Getting him signed is simply good business. Oh and we also need a lw and cover for striker, this guy plays both.

JamDav1982

Can?t know he wouldn?t accept higher signing bonus in return for lower wages, not talking a pittance, same amount of money being paid, just in a different way. In fact due to inflation each year taking higher amount up front would be better value for him.

There is not one logical reason to pay him more up front than across length of contract.

That is worse for the club and reason they would never do it.

All you are doing is ensuring more money is out the door earlier.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
He’s currently worth 50m+ in this market. If we signed him and he was shite for a year we’d still be able to sell for 30-50 based on previous seasons.

Getting him signed is simply good business. Oh and we also need a lw and cover for striker, this guy plays both.

It doesn't work like that, like in FM. Both Kessie and Memphis were valued at 45m when we signed them. Not sure we'll get more than 15-20m for Kessie now that he's barely played. Thuram is worth less than both those two at the time that we signed them.

But I'm not against a gamble, especially since we don't have many other reasonable options for LW/CF.

Porque

In normal market conditions we could compete with the best offers he will receive.

We can't though with this Cap over our heads. Not unless he wanted to move to LaLiga ahead of EPL.

Rory

There is not one logical reason to pay him more up front than across length of contract.

That is worse for the club and reason they would never do it.

All you are doing is ensuring more money is out the door earlier.

- if it comes to a bidding war make this proposal which might be preferable to the player.
- if he's not quite what we're hoping he'd be then with lower wages the number of clubs that will take a punt is higher.

JamDav1982

- if it comes to a bidding war make this proposal which might be preferable to the player.
- if he's not quite what we're hoping he'd be then with lower wages the number of clubs that will take a punt is higher.

No..the club wont do that and nor will any other.

I am sure players would all love the money up front on their contracts but they wont get it.

If he is not what club think then paying him in bulk up front is even worse scenario. There is absolutlely no benefit to it at all.

It is a worse case scenario than paying him in 'usual' way.

Rory

It doesn't work like that, like in FM. Both Kessie and Memphis were valued at 45m when we signed them. Not sure we'll get more than 15-20m for Kessie now that he's barely played. Thuram is worth less than both those two at the time that we signed them.

But I'm not against a gamble, especially since we don't have many other reasonable options for LW/CF.

You're right it doesn't always work out like that. Memphis was on relatively high wages, think we tripled Kessie's. 15-20m for Kessie would be good business?

Rory

No..the club wont do that and nor will any other.

I am sure players would all love the money up front on their contracts but they wont get it.

If he is not what club think then paying him in bulk up front is even worse scenario. There is absolutlely no benefit to it at all.

Players aren't all in the position of being sought after and being able to bargain a good up front deal.

As I said, can't know club wouldn't do it. If it was the difference in securing a potentially very good player for us it's not a bad deal considering there's no transfer fee. This is all assuming it comes to this. Of course first option is offer a salary in keeping with what we can afford and what is market rate.

JamDav1982

Players aren't all in the position of being sought after and being able to bargain a good up front deal.

As I said, can't know club wouldn't do it. If it was the difference in securing a potentially very good player for us it's not a bad deal considering there's no transfer fee. This is all assuming it comes to this. Of course first option is offer a salary in keeping with what we can afford and what is market rate.

It is a ridiculous idea that in no way benefits the club.

Any club competing with Barca for Thuram could offer money upfront for less salary and be in better position than Barca. None of them will do it.

I can tell you 100% the club wont do it. There is not one reason to and it is worse position.

There is not a scenario where paying more up front benefits club. It does the opposite.

JamDav1982

Lets say Thuram wants 10m signing on fee and 8m per year for 5 years.

Given that signing on fees are generally paid across a contract and the players 'loyalty' for not requesting to leave etc.

How would you structure that to pay more upfront and benefit club?

Rory

It is a ridiculous idea that in no way benefits the club.

Any club competing with Barca for Thuram could offer money upfront for less salary and be in better position than Barca. None of them will do it.

I can tell you 100% the club wont do it. There is not one reason to and it is worse position.

There is not a scenario where paying more up front benefits club. It does the opposite.

fair enough didn't know you were that marvel guy who sees all future possibilities, you should have said.

JamDav1982

fair enough didn't know you were that marvel guy who sees all future possibilities, you should have said.

Dont need to be.

Bad ideas are bad ideas and that one is ridiculous.

To give a player more at start of contract as if it makes sense to then make them easier to get rid of in future makes no sense.

Rory

Dont need to be.

Bad ideas are bad ideas and that one is ridiculous.

To give a player more at start of contract as if it makes sense to then make them easier to get rid of in future makes no sense.

I'm fine with you thinking it's ridiculous, that's a low bar

Home of Barca Fans