Europa League

Birdy

Here is the thing.
We will not draw West Ham for the R32

All CL 3rd teams are drawn against EL 2nd in their groups:

So we will know more tonight, but, bar a possible Napoli (which I think won't happen tonight), our potential R32 opponents look like this:

RAngers,
Red Star/Braga,
Olympiakos,
PSV,
GAlatasaray
Dynamo Zagreb,
Spartak Moscow

Even for this Barca, we can go through

Then in the R16 the R32 winners are drawn against the EL 1sts in their groups, which list will look like this:
Leicester,
West Ham,
Lazio,
Eintracht,
Leverkusen
Lyon,
Monaco,
Braga (?)

OK, more difficult now, but if we manage to avoid West Ham and Leicester (the best teams of this list), we can certainly do it
Leverkusen, Lyon and Monaco might be tricky, but we should eliminate them

The moral of the story is:
We can very well avoid the most of the most difficult teams (which are the CL 3rds like Dortmund, Sevilla, Porto, Atalanta plus the two good English sides Leicester and West Ham)
until the QF, which means until April
Then, we have to step up obviously, as we certainly gonna play some difficult ties in QF, SF, and possibly F if we go deep.
But some time will have elapsed until then, and Xavi - hopefully - will have time to make some things click

FinBarcelonafan

Yeah, positive thing is even the round 32 is few months away. I am positive Xavi can improve this team in that time.

Last edited:

PhilS

I hope this team can improve enough to go at least a few rounds in EL and Copa, give the kids some valuable experience. Not at all sure this will happen, without significant reinforcements in the winter transfer window.

Birdy

bad news is that Napoli finsihed 2nd in the group

which means they are potential Barca opponents for R32.
Let's avoid them

Rassvet

Better to just get knocked out in the playoff round to focus on top 4 if we are still in the race for that come february

Home of Barca Fans