2 Bayern, Chelsea
1 Barcelona, Liverpool

List of CL finalists in the last 10 years:
4 Real
3 Bayern
2 Liverpool, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Chelsea
1 Barcelona, City, Psg, Borussia, Tottenham

cracken

I maybe am just bitter after so many years of watching the same stuff or it didn't seem that the gap was so big 10 years ago. But just take a look at Chelsea's group and it's a laughing stock: Chelsea, Sevilla, Rennes, Krasnodar.
They then had to play an Atletico team out of form at the time and pretty shite in CL this season, a Porto side that screams EL level and the worst Real Madrid in years.
Same stuff goes for City, with the added bonus that they dodged the Bayern bullet.
In a league type competition its very hard to get lucky.

This forum's obsession with the concept of "lucky draws" will always be puzzling to me. First, everybody was freaking out because Madrid "got lucky" by drawing Chelsea, now Chelsea were the lucky ones because they drew Madrid..?

It's asinine to claim both finalists benefited from luck to get to the final of a knockout tournament. Who exactly were they supposed to face and why didn't those teams make to the advanced stages if they were that good?

El Gato

Villarato!
This forum's obsession with the concept of "lucky draws" will always be puzzling to me. First, everybody was freaking out because Madrid "got lucky" by drawing Chelsea, now Chelsea were the lucky ones because they drew Madrid..?

It's asinine to claim both finalists benefited from luck to get to the final of a knockout tournament. Who exactly were they supposed to face and why didn't those teams make to the advanced stages if they were that good?

That's more so because people don't know how to rate teams rather than the concept of good/bad luck on a draw.

Every idiot under the sun claimed RM has a clear way to the final just because they avoided PSG, City and Bayern. Trouble is they also had absolutely zero clue about Chelsea and how well they'd match up against the others. And some of it is understandable, you won't know for sure until you see it, but all signs were there for Chelsea being a winner.

malvolio

Don't know mate. Not Dortmund, Porto or Gladbach? And I was referring to the competition format in general, while using the finalists as examples.
In a Super League you would have to play teams of the same calibre all year round. In my opinion that's a better reflection of a team's strength. Not fucking around in some groups vs EL teams and then playing 6 KO matches that are largely influenced by other factors.

cracken

Don't know mate. Not Dortmund, Porto or Gladbach? And I was referring to the competition format in general, while using the finalists as examples.
In a Super League you would have to play teams of the same calibre all year round. In my opinion that's a better reflection of a team's strength. Not fucking around in some groups vs EL teams and then playing 6 KO matches that are largely influenced by other factors.

Every format is affected by different sets of factors. Being able to grind out results throughout a long league season doesn't mean you're the best team quality-wise either.

If that were the case, we would be rating Mancini's Inter higher than Ancelotti's Milan.

Birdy

Nope.
Format is the factor behind luck.
Maybe you can never exterminate luck from matching between teams, but you can minimize it.
In a League where the league position determines also who you would face in the knock-outs, like the way it works in basketball, is the format that minimizes luck of matching (which is luck of draw in CL)
Knock-out games can always be one-offs, that's common knowledge, but you won't be having top teams facing each other early.
Besides if your performance in the group/league stage is good enough, you ensure you will face opponent whose performance in the group/league stage is not so good, irrespective of club history and stature in Europe

Mateka

The ones that have to be scared are Real Madrid and Barcelona,' Tebas told ESPN. 'I don't want to imagine a Champions [League] without them but it can happen.

'More than a sanction, UEFA may opt not to register Madrid, and Barca in the Champions. I think they could be left out. They should be scared.'

Laporta ‘I told [UEFA president Aleksander] Ceferin that we were not going to apologise and that we were not going to pay a fine that is unjustifiable. If they fine us, we will go to the CAS,'

'We will fight to protect the interests of Barcelona and to develop a model of football that is sustainable. All clubs are losing money.''

Last edited:

Rory

Away goals no more in ucl. Not sure how I feel about it being completely removed. I feel like now whoever has the return leg at their home ground has an unfair advantage.

fergus90

I kind of like the idea of it going, think it means teams will take the shackles off a bit without the fear of conceding an away goal.

Mateka

With the number of games played in a season, it would be good to scrap extra time. Just go straight to penalties.

Morten

I dont really like away goals counting more, but there will be many more games going to extra time now, not a fan of that either.

Luis Suarez

Absolutely loved the away goals rule (even though it didn't benefit Barcelona in recent seasons). Not happy with UEFA abolishing it at all.

How do you think matches will play out now?

Home of Barca Fans