Champions League

Birdy

I am not arguing about Pep's era and later with CR7.
I am saying that Spain didn't dominate pre-Pep:
2006: Barca:Arsenal 2:1
2007: Milan:Liverpool 2:1
2008: Man utd:Chelsea pens

From 2005/06 to 2008, EPL had 4 CL finalists out of 6 spots.
They even had a finalist in 2005: Liverpool:Milan pens
And in 2009: Barca:Man Utd

From 2005 to 2009 final, out of 10 finalists spots:
6 spots England
2 spots Barca
2 spots Milan

Barca did win 2 finals, but I wouldn't call it a domination, it was Barca vs several EPL teams.
That doesn't mean that La Liga dominated EPL, it only meant that BARCA dominated due to Messi-Ronaldinho-Xavi-Iniesta.
Levante and Getafe didn't raise in their quality due to Messi's header in 2009 final.

Yeah you are right about mid 00s
There are always some great teams from other leagues that pop up within the dominance of a certain League, but they are outliers rather than instances of the main trend

If I were to map the trend of dominance the last 30 years, it would be something like:

- early to late 90s: Italian clubs (Milan and Juve in CL, many others in UEFA/Cup Winners)
Van Gaal's Ajax, and Hitschfeld's Dortmund the outliers in that era

-Late 90s to early 00s: Spanish dominance (RM CLs, Valencia finals, and all Spanish teams good in Europe)
Fergie's ManUtd and Bayern the outliers here

- Early 00s to late 00s: English dominance (Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea, even Arsenal made a final)
Rijkaard's Barca and Ancelotti's Milan the outliers here

- Late 00s to mid 10s: Spanish dominance (Pep's Barca, Perez's new Galactico RM, Simeone's Atleti, Emery's Sevilla, etc)
Mou's Inter, both Huynkes' and Pep's Bayern the outliers

- Mid 10s to now: English dominance (Pep's City, Klopp's Liverpool, Poch' Tottenham, recently Tuchel's Chelsea, Utd in Europa)
Flick's Bayern obviously the outlier here, and it seems PSG as well

Laplacian

BBZ back to his usual antics.

Never talks about how Milan bought their way to big titles in 1980s or how Italian teams were setting transfer records during their heyday.

Honestly, at times, I lose all respect for him and think he's just a troll with more creativity than Messigician.

I think it's genuine. I think he just has a pathological need to argue and be a contrarian. If he disliked Spanish football and its direction so much all he has to do is not follow it, he has no obligations to do otherwise considering he's Croatian. Could just watch the PL that has his power, pace and height football he loves so much. But he doesn't, because he'd rather argue on this website instead.

Daisymorr

Should we be surprised how poor PSG were the other night? Messi and Neymar looked like old men compared to their time at Barca. Mbappe is the man there. I wonder is it just early season sharpness missing but I was disappointed with them the other night.

Looked like teams like Bayern/Liverpool to run all over PSG. Not sure they have a chance of the CL anymore, where at first I thought who is going to be able to beat them.

JohnN

They were disappointing in the first match but they have good players and a good manager. Chances are they will be one of the contenders when they click but nothing is sure. It's too early to come to conclusions now. Even for Barca. We were really bad, but could improve with time and all the squad healthy.

mc_lovin

They were disappointing in the first match but they have good players and a good manager. Chances are they will be one of the contenders when they click but nothing is sure. It's too early to come to conclusions now. Even for Barca. We were really bad, but could improve with time and all the squad healthy.

I just don't see a frontline of Messi, Neymar and Mbappe succeed unless two of them make huge sacrifices. Mbappe has always been on the lazier side and with his transfer in mind I don't see him tear himself apart for the team. Neymar has the best workrate of the three, but he's not what Messi needs. I don't see him play as a classic inverted winger anymore, he may very well even lack the pace for that now.

This whole Messi transfer boils down to me that just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should.

serghei

PSG has been chasing the big names without caring for the fitment and tactical plan for years and years. One of the many reasons they are still mocked and ridiculed. Nothing new here. For the sheiks, football is sort of a dick-measuring contest.

FinBarcelonafan

I just don't see a frontline of Messi, Neymar and Mbappe succeed unless two of them make huge sacrifices. Mbappe has always been on the lazier side and with his transfer in mind I don't see him tear himself apart for the team. Neymar has the best workrate of the three, but he's not what Messi needs. I don't see him play as a classic inverted winger anymore, he may very well even lack the pace for that now.

This whole Messi transfer boils down to me that just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should.

Neymar USED To have a great work rate, but he lost it. He became Messi #2. He is not pressing like his Barca prime times or defending. He was a phenomenal player back in the day.

and like you said, tough to see any of these three sacrificing their game for another, so it will end up in a loss.

Look at Benzema for Real for example. He gave the limelight to Ronaldo, now Benzema king of LaLiga, and banging goals for fun. He gave all that glory to Ronaldo. They would need Benzema type of guy.

cro-man

Official: Disciplinary proceedings that had been opened against Bar?a, Juve, and Madrid for a potential violation of UEFA?s legal framework with the Super League project have been declared null and void, without any prejudice, as if the proceedings had never been opened.

FinBarcelonafan

Official: Disciplinary proceedings that had been opened against Bar?a, Juve, and Madrid for a potential violation of UEFA?s legal framework with the Super League project have been declared null and void, without any prejudice, as if the proceedings had never been opened.

Just like Laporta said

Jadentheman

Genuinely looking forward to the oil clasico. So many stars on the pitch.

photo-2021-09-28-13-38-38.jpg

:lol:

Home of Barca Fans