Champions League

Porque

Away goals no more in ucl. Not sure how I feel about it being completely removed. I feel like now whoever has the return leg at their home ground has an unfair advantage.

Will never happen but I think the best format was the post season knockout cup that covid brought.

Rory

Will surely take the excitement out of games somewhat. No need for teams to chase a goal as much. I think they’ll reverse this rule within a few years.

Mateka

Absolutely loved the away goals rule (even though it didn't benefit Barcelona in recent seasons). Not happy with UEFA abolishing it at all.

How do you think matches will play out now?

To my memory, it was introduced because the away side, simply defended, and nothing else. Then attacked in the home game. Introduced in 1965.

Porque

It will be weird to remove the reward for scoring.

Just this past season it would mean that Juventus-Porto would go to extra time and that Chelsea-Porto would go to extra time.

Jadentheman

Isn't this good for Barca? Now the team can demolish at home 3-0, 4-0, 5-1, and then relax and leak goals on the away run. Can probably get away with it.

Mateka

When introduced in 1965, Italian sides, very defensive playing a sweeper system, were one of the contributing factors.

Porque

What do you mean? That Porto goal, as good as it was (won Goal of the Tournament) was a consolation goal.

https://tinyurl.com/2yfkaznr

I got it wrong with the Chelsea match.

But in the Juve tie we would have seen Penalties and not Porto going through on away goals.

And imagine the Barcelona 6-1 game. We would have probably settled after scoring for 5-1 in injury time, as we would have guaranteed extra time.

So I am not sure how I feel about this, although will have to see it in action in modern football. It may in the end, be an improvement.

Catta

I for one loved the away goals rule. It made the tactical aspect of the game more interesting. I believe that it is a mistake getting rid of it.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I preferred the away goals rule too. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose with it. I fear this will only lead to more ET and penalty shootouts.

Home of Barca Fans