La Liga 2018/19

Who will win La Liga?

• Total voters
No way that will happen as either Barca or Real Madrid lose home advantage in a league where such games can end up matter a lot.

You'd be surprised mate. The NBA is trying to popularize American basketball in the UK by hosting games in London. Teams are designated "home teams" randomly.

Also baseball in London: the London Series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox (one of the most heated rivalries in all of sports is being held next year.) The Sox designated the "home team".

If you're that good, you don't need to be home to win :)

https://www.mlb.com/london-series

soul24rage

la liga game at the states?? it would have been better to play the supercup in the states as mentioned before. the money better be worth it.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You'd be surprised mate. The NBA is trying to popularize American basketball in the UK by hosting games in London. Teams are designated "home teams" randomly.

Also baseball in London: the London Series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox (one of the most heated rivalries in all of sports is being held next year.) The Sox designated the "home team".

If you're that good, you don't need to be home to win :)

https://www.mlb.com/london-series

Those teams don't have to answer to their members. Those are franchises owned by some billionaires or corporations that can do whatever they want, as it pleases them. They can move teams to other cities for business purposes, take money out of their franchises, pour debt on them, it doesn't matter as it's owned by them.

Barcelona and Real Madrid have Presidents and Boards elected by their members and they will never accept having the biggest fixture in the league moved out and lose home advantage and the ability to watch their team play their arch rival at home.

It's entirely different from whatever happens in the MLB, the NBA or the NFL and since I follow the latter let me just tell you how annoyed their fanbases are when they have games in London. They don't like it, they dislike it strongly or outright hate it because they lose a home game their local fans could have seen live at their stadium.

The only way those fanbases in the NFL like it is if their team is a small market team that gets a massive amount of money and recognition from playing overseas. Barca are already somewhat established in the US and so are Real Madrid and I doubt the money either club will get from playing in Miami or Toronto will watch what the NFL get from hosting games in London.

Last edited:
I'm assuming La Liga wants to promote their product and brand with high profile games and you can't get much more high profile than El Clasico internationally.

It'll be interesting to see how La Liga approaches this. How will they implement this.

DonAK

I really don't want to see a Clasico in the States. Fuck that. I want the atmosphere and tension you get in the Camp Nou or Bernabeu.

If you want to play a game there then do Barca v Sevilla or Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Just one game out of the whole season right?

Don has a good point, whoever that team is (likely one of us, Real Madrid, Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla, Villarreal), it is going to lose a home game's worth of match day revenue and it will be interesting to see how they plan on reimbursing that team.

DonAK

Just one game out of the whole season right?

Don has a good point, whoever that team is (likely one of us, Real Madrid, Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla, Villarreal), it is going to lose a home game's worth of match day revenue and it will be interesting to see how they plan on reimbursing that team.

They'll prob get that much money back and more from the game in the States, but what do you do with the fans? Cut down the prices on the season tickets? What happens the week after they return from the States with the jet lag and all that traveling? Do they get a week off?

El Clasico can never be played in the United States, that's for sure. Not unless both Barca and Real Madrid fly over fans to watch the games, because both clubs members are gonna wreck havoc if the largest fixture in the league is taken away from them, and they should complain rightly so.

El Gato

Villarato!
I really don't want to see a Clasico in the States. Fuck that. I want the atmosphere and tension you get in the Camp Nou or Bernabeu.

If you want to play a game there then do Barca v Sevilla or Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao.

Those fixtures are probably the ones that'll get picked. Madrid fans don't care all that much about hosting Celtas and others at the Bernabeu. If anything it'll just be Madrid or Barca whacking some mid-to-lower table team by 5-8 goals. Wouldn't even be surprised if it were to be the first matches of the season to allow for flexibility with the ICC.

DonAK

Those fixtures are probably the ones that'll get picked. Madrid fans don't care all that much about hosting Celtas and others at the Bernabeu. If anything it'll just be Madrid or Barca whacking some mid-to-lower table team by 5-8 goals. Wouldn't even be surprised if it were to be the first matches of the season to allow for flexibility with the ICC.

I'd be okay with that as long as the scheduling is not fucked up and allows both teams to get some appropriate amount of rest before their next game.

Home of Barca Fans