Victor Font

serghei

It is perfectly consistent, because he has in mind the version of those guys when they were compatible with total football, meaning under Pep
He will not play like EV,
but trying to play the 08-12 football with Pique, Busi, and Roberto while football has evolved so much since then, the outcome would be hilarious

It's one thing what he has in mind when he doesn't see them in trainings and such, and a totally other thing when he seems them struggling with the pace in trainings and match preparation.

What you say is basically that he'll see these guys slacking off and moaning about the intensity in trainings and he'll just let them do what they want because he used to play with them. Unrealistic.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
To be fair any ambitious project would get fucked by our financial situation.

serghei

Pique out, and no Messi - Aguero top please. That's it. Not much to ask.

Busi, Alba, Messi can play. Far better than Pique. Bring in Depay, and hope Fati is fit again.

Would improve us quite a bit. And don't play Pedri into the ground again, please.

SmilerBam

It is perfectly consistent, because he has in mind the version of those guys when they were compatible with total football, meaning under Pep
He will not play like EV,
but trying to play the 08-12 football with Pique, Busi, and Roberto while football has evolved so much since then, the outcome would be hilarious

Busquets, Pique or Messi at their peak would dominate world football just like in that era, even more so. Football hasn't evolved one bit, it regressed in this stupid frenezy of headless gengerpressing without any finesse,. If Barca 2008-2012 ran rings around a Real Madrid containing peak players like Ronaldo. Xabi Alonso, Ramos, Marcelo, Casillas, Di Maria, Ozil etc., then they would have absolutely obliterated every so called top team in this era. Maybe only Bayern could stand a chance in an off game, but in a tie?No chance. Let's not forget that Barca Team was not only incredible technical containing world class players in almost every position, they were also a highly pressing team.

Bobo32

Busquets, Pique or Messi at their peak would dominate world football just like in that era, even more so. Football hasn't evolved one bit, it regressed in this stupid frenezy of headless gengerpressing without any finesse,. If Barca 2008-2012 ran rings around a Real Madrid containing peak players like Ronaldo. Xabi Alonso, Ramos, Marcelo, Casillas, Di Maria, Ozil etc., then they would have absolutely obliterated every so called top team in this era. Maybe only Bayern could stand a chance in an off game, but in a tie?No chance. Let's not forget that Barca Team was not only incredible technical containing world class players in almost every position, they were also a highly pressing team.

Maybe I'm reiterating what I just wrote before, but I say it's not about them growing old as much as them not having the right players around them in the right system.

Pique with prime Puyol and Alves beside him would be great 2018-2022, and Messi and Busquets would look even better with prime Xavi and Iniesta between them and with two decent attackers (let's say Konrad and Peque) instead of Greaseman and Dumbele.

I am obviously completely with you in that Barcelona 2011 put in a time machine would be great 2021 as well - football hasn't "moved on" the way some posters here think.

vegitot

Maybe I'm reiterating what I just wrote before, but I say it's not about them growing old as much as them not having the right players around them in the right system.

Pique with prime Puyol and Alves beside him would be great 2018-2022, and Messi and Busquets would look even better with prime Xavi and Iniesta between them and with two decent attackers (let's say Konrad and Peque) instead of Greaseman and Dumbele.

I am obviously completely with you in that Barcelona 2011 put in a time machine would be great 2021 as well - football hasn't "moved on" the way some posters here think.

So where are prime Xavi and Iniesta??? And do you actually compare Konrad and Peque to Griezmann and Dembele???

Birdy

That's where you get it wrong.
First of all, none of the RM players of the time you list are particularly good at pressing. They did it when Mourinho was instructing so, but that was not their expertise either individually or as a team.
Not even remotely close to the most sophisticated pressing-machines of the day like Klopp's Liverpool 18-20 and Flick's Bayern of the last 2 years.

Then the other mistake is you don't see the value of physical abilities.
Think about this: Has any of pique, busi, messi lost any of the abilities they have on the ball? No
Have they lost their football-iq? No, on the contrary they might be even smarter now.
So what is the problem is that their physical decline, coupled with the rise of teams you can't really beat if you are not physical, has made them almost out of place with how football is being played

SmilerBam

That's where you get it wrong.
First of all, none of the RM players of the time you list are particularly good at pressing. They did it when Mourinho was instructing so, but that was not their expertise either individually or as a team.
Not even remotely close to the most sophisticated pressing-machines of the day like Klopp's Liverpool 18-20 and Flick's Bayern of the last 2 years.

Then the other mistake is you don't see the value of physical abilities.
Think about this: Has any of pique, busi, messi lost any of the abilities they have on the ball? No
Have they lost their football-iq? No, on the contrary they might be even smarter now.
So what is the problem is that their physical decline, coupled with the rise of teams you can't really beat if you are not physical, has made them almost out of place with how football is being played
I was speaking about them at their peak, not now. Also, Real Madrid was a beast of a team, what are you talking about. Ramos, Ronaldo, Khedira, Pepe. They were a complete team imo, better than peak Liverpool of 2018-2020. That is my opinion.

Birdy

I was speaking about them at their peak, not now. Also, Real Madrid was a beast of a team, what are you talking about. Ramos, Ronaldo, Khedira, Pepe. They were a complete team imo, better than peak Liverpool of 2018-2020. That is my opinion.

Great team for sure.
Question is about their pressing in particular. Liverpool 18-20 was a few levels above in that department

Home of Barca Fans