Quique Setién

El Flaco

During October 2015, Setién took a newly promoted team (Las Palmas) and kept them in the first division after reaching 11th place while also being renowned for playing an aesthetically pleasing & technical football. In the following season, Setíén left Las Palmas due to differences with their board. This season, Las Palmas have been struggling in LaLiga and are now in 19th place after 32 matches and having 3 managers.

Meanwhile, Setién has transformed and revitalised Real Betis this season. They're currently on 5th place in LaLiga, above the likes of Sevilla, Villarreal, Celta etc. while improving young players and maintaining the level of the more experienced players. It's likely that Real Betis are gonna play continental football next season, something they haven't done since 2013-14 season. All of that while still playing an aesthetically pleasing & technical football.

Setién has made no secret about being a huge Cruyffista and the Dutch's influence had for his managing career.

Here are some informative video/tweets about Setíen if you want to know more about him.

[tw]939245788110213123[/tw]

https://imgur.com/a/mmanc

Devils

I'm a big of him.

But i do feel our next manager should be one who has already managed a top club.

I'm a big of him.

But i do feel our next manager should be one who has already managed a top club.

Who's available that both speaks the language and isn't washed up?

Our players are already arrogant little pricks, no way they'll listen to some guy that can't communicate to them directly.

I don't know much about Setien, but he is Spanish and has values similar to our's.

serghei

I'm a big of him.

Pretty hard to find that. I'd take one who plays offensive and is proven in La Liga at least. He's a better option that Valverde because besides proving it at Las Palmas and Betis, he's also a student of Cruyff's ideas.

He won't park the bus against Roma when leading 4-1 that's for sure.

Ursegor

World Champion
Everyone is a student of Cruyff these days. So was Valverde, Cruyff himself praised him:

Cruyff: "You always have to judge things in their context. [Valverde's] work is more than excellent. It gives pleasure to watch Espanyol play. I'm very happy that there are people like him or Rijkaard that on top of trying to play they let the people enjoy, because this is what football is for."

Valverde's Athletic Bilbao was also a pressing machine and not a defensive team, they wrecked us:

[youtube]-eY5G1m2ka8[/youtube]

And Lucho also did great things with Celta, played attractive football, beat Real Madrid etc. etc.

All of that means nothing at the end.

KingLeo10

Everyone is a student of Cruyff these days. So was Valverde, Cruyff himself praised him:

Valverde's Athletic Bilbao was also a pressing machine and not a defensive team, they wrecked us:

And Lucho also did great things with Celta, played attractive football, beat Real Madrid etc. etc.

I've thought about how effectively Bilbao used to employ the high press under Valverde which makes the present situation all the more of a conundrum.

Has he gotten cold feet now that he's expected to deliver big trophies at a big club and gone extremely conservative (negative) as a result?

Or is there a disconnect between his tactics and the players' execution of them?

Are the players simply lazy sacks of shit who have won too much and simply can't be asked to run?

There's no doubt the manager bears majority blame for our disastrous exit to Roma, but the more I think about it, the more I find the players to be culpable. Valverde set them up wrongly, but regardless of formation, they could have run more than 102 km.

serghei

Valverde has proven to be unwilling to follow a set of principles of playing which are non-negotiable for fluid possession football, which is what we should be playing. He can't be a student of Cruyff and park the bus away at Roma.

khaled_a_d

Quique is a good coach for the level he is working in, but I still remember Paco who many wanted few years ago who was doing extraordinary with one of the poorest (in terms of finance) clubs in Liga.
In all honesty I hope to see him working at a club competing for something or at least continue doing his magic for a couple of years with Betis before considering him as a candidate.
EV was a great coach who was far more proven and many think he is shit now. Unai?Paco? Juande Ramos? Pellegrini? the lost goes on and on for those coaches tbh.

Valverde has proven to be unwilling to follow a set of principles of playing which are non-negotiable for fluid possession football, which is what we should be playing. He can't be a student of Cruyff and park the bus away at Roma.

Well, as you can see he just proved it can happen.

henias

These comparisons mean nothing as well.

Lucho obviously has his set of problems, which is putting Messi at RW and Roberto at RB. It doesnt mean these problems automatically mean we should ditch attacking football. Our players are still built offensively, and we should solve our players issues, not ditch our style completely.

Valverde now makes problems even worse than before, not only that he continues to use Roberto at RB, he uses Busquets and Rakitic as defensive mids and in the end, we are still equally vulnerable to opponents' pressing.

Bilbao are made up of physically built and fast players like Inaki Williams, but ironically Valverde doesnt use fast players like Dembele and instead depend on Messi and Suarez to press, both of which has played crazy minutes in all competition. You think they would have the intensity and energy to press? Iniesta to cover acres of space defensively? All the players are used wrongly and he constantly burns them out so what's the point?

serghei

Quique is a good coach for the level he is working in, but I still remember Paco who many wanted few years ago who was doing extraordinary with one of the poorest (in terms of finance) clubs in Liga.
In all honesty I hope to see him working at a club competing for something or at least continue doing his magic for a couple of years with Betis before considering him as a candidate.
EV was a great coach who was far more proven and many think he is shit now. Unai?Paco? Juande Ramos? Pellegrini? the lost goes on and on for those coaches tbh.

Well, as you can see he just proved it can happen.

Nah, that game is proof that he fooled many people thinking he is a Cruyff student. He isn't.

Setien has done magic with poor Las Palmas in their first season in Spain. He's doing magic with Betis now. And he's clearly more fit for Barca than Valverde, style wise. I'd take him in the summer. Sure, it's a leap of faith (as was Valverde, because neither is experienced at this level), but this Barca under Valverde is taking the joy out of watching Barca. Just isn't worth it when you also have disastrous results like Roma.

It's maybe, just maybe, worth it if you win the Champions League, or at least play a final. But not to set historic negative records. Not to mention that he didn't improve a single young player in the team. Actually, most are playing worse than before.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Nah, that game is proof that he fooled many people thinking he is a Cruyff student. He isn't.

Setien has done magic with poor Las Palmas in their first season in Spain. He's doing magic with Betis now. And he's clearly more fit for Barca than Valverde, style wise. I'd take him in the summer. Sure, it's a leap of faith (as was Valverde, because neither is experienced at this level), but this Barca under Valverde is taking the joy out of watching Barca. Just isn't worth it when you also have disastrous results like Roma.

It's maybe, just maybe, worth it if you win the Champions League, or at least play a final. But not to set historic negative records. Not to mention that he didn't improve a single young player in the team. Actually, most are playing worse than before.

EV was considered a Crujif student by trade before he joined us, even Crujif himself praised him for that. You can't come and just say he isn't when he doesn't play it here.
And EV proved himself for long years in the league, Setien didn't do enough yet, it is way bigger leap of faith. Such thing could be done if the coach has a serious history with the club (Pep/Lucho/Zidane) which allow him a great man management and authority in dressing room.

Home of Barca Fans