Kepa Arrizabalaga

MTL_Barca

So he had titles with Barca...before he worked at Barca? What? That was about how we still hired him, and he is still here so there must be more to it than what BBZ was listing.

Tuchel doesn't have any of that either but this far it seems to work fine at PSG.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Now lets do this for :valverde: just for fun

Was Ernie a famous footballer? No
Has he coached some big teams? No
Has he won any trophies? No
Has he ever coached superstar, spoiled footballer? No
Was he ever under a pressure to win 1-2-3 titles in each season? No
Did he have any connections with Barca and La Liga? Yes :lol:
Does his team play Barca's DNA type of football? No

Qualified :valverde2:

Valverde played for Barca from 1988-1990.
So, at least he is familiar with a club, pressure, expectations, big players.

Valverde even played once for a Spanish NT team and 2 matches for Spanish youth Nt teams.
And he played Uefa cup final as a player in 1988 with Espanyol.
Barcelona has signed him after that.

So, he was not a total unknown.
His level was: pick Sevilla's Fcs who won Uefa cup for Sevilla, who are good players, but not good enough for Barca and Real.

Sarri played for only one club in his career, in Toscana's B regional group, which is a 5th division level in Italy.
Probably a lot of Barca forum members have played football on that level.

Valverde as a coach:
Reached Uefa cup final with Espanyol.
Won a double at Olympiacos in his first season.
Left Olympiacos, returned to Spain.
Later returned to Greece, won a total of 3 league titles there.
Plus a Spanish supercup with Bilbao, reaching a CL with Bilbao and reaching CDR final with Bilbao.

Sarri's managerial stats before Chelsea:
League titles: 0
Cup titles: 0
Cup finals: 0
Any trophies: 0
European finals: 0
Playing a beautiful shortpassing football: Level 20 000

No matter how ugly we play under EV, I still wouldn't trade him for an absolute Mr. Nobody like Sarri.

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

Mou was a nobody as a player as well. So was Tuchel. And Klopp. Do you really think world stars have more respect for a guy just because he was an ok footballer 30 years ago? I'd bet if you give Valverde the Chelsea job tomorrow most of the players wouldn't even know for what clubs he played.

There is more to being a good coach, more to being good at leading a team and getting respect than just the things you listed.

Disclaimer: I'm aware Barca is different. I wouldn't sign Sarri. It was just a joke.

BBZ8800

Mou was a nobody as a player as well. So was Tuchel. And Klopp. Do you really think world stars have more respect for a guy just because he was an ok footballer 30 years ago? I'd bet if you give Valverde the Chelsea job tomorrow most of the players wouldn't even know for what clubs he played.

There is more to being a good coach, more to being good at leading a team and getting respect than just the things you listed.

Disclaimer: I'm aware Barca is different. I wouldn't sign Sarri. It was just a joke.

It doesn't mean that you NEED to be a former footballer, but still...

Imagine these coaches in the next season:
Ronaldinho, Puyol, Henry or MTL Barca.

Do you think that kids like Dembele or Alena would respect/have more fear towards Ronaldinho or MTL Barca as a coach?

Further, even if you were not a footballer, then you need to have results in your career, and some leadership personality like Klopp or Mou.
It is hard to be a coach who is not a former famous footballer, mixed with being a quiet personality and without crazy results on his back.

Klopp and Mou have results, leadership personality and players have some fear and respect towards them, at least in early seasons.

Objectivelly, Sarri has only some needed skills.
But since he played a nice passing football, people here lost their heads.

Just like with Sampaoli, Jardim, Setien.

With players, people here are obssessed with: he is young, has potential and is passing the ball well as 3 key skills in football.

With coaches, people require only one thing: a coach needs to play a nice, attacking football.

I mean, there is nothing wrong with a nice football.
But for Barca's coaches, there are so many other things to be considered.

Imo, Van Bommel would break Kepa's legs after the match if he did the same thing in his team.

That's the difference between Klopp, Pep, Van Bommel and too nice guys, who are mentally not strong to lead the biggest clubs and deal with the internal affairs.

** Alex Ferguson threw a boot into Beckham's head once when he was causing internal problems, lol.
That's how you win trebles...

Last edited:

Messigician

Sampaoli wasnt even that bad. Any coach would struggle with Argentina, one of the leakiest midfields and defences around.

The aging players didn't suit Sampaoli's high intensity and pressing style. No shame losing 4-3 to the world cup champions.

BBZ8800

Who is Delfim?

Ah, Jardim from Monaco, sorry.
He was a flavor of the Month 2 seasons ago also.

His team played nice football in that moment :pep:

That's the pattern here often.
But again, our coach needs way more than playing some nice football with a lower tier team, usually consisted of younger players without Messi and other unbenchable super-rich superstars.

Sampaoli wasnt even that bad. Any coach would struggle with Argentina, one of the leakiest midfields and defences around.

The aging players didn't suit Sampaoli's high intensity and pressing style. No shame losing 4-3 to the world cup champions.

Argentina was horrible in a group stage with Croatia (who had a super "horrible" Rakitic in midfield), and mighty Iceland and Nigeria.
Also, Sampaoli looked as if he is on verge of a heart attack and a mental breakdown during every match.

What kind of a master tactician is that when he allows a team with Rakitic to neutralize Messi and his midfielders?
Since Raki can't run and defend, then you really need a masterclass to be neutralized by Raki and his friends:
I mean, imagine being totally neutralized by a team where Rakitic is the 2nd most important player in a team, ouch:

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

That's the difference between Klopp, Pep, Van Bommel and too nice guys, who are mentally not strong to lead the biggest clubs and deal with the internal affairs.

** Alex Ferguson threw a boot into Beckham's head once when he was causing internal problems, lol.
That's how you win trebles...

I think these are different characters. Pep and Klopp have super high expectations and are super demanding, but also have a sense of modern players needs/wants and works to develop them. I get the sense Pochettino is the same way.

Mou has been fired in his last 2 jobs for completely losing his lockerroom, squads going down the toilet, and the teams performed immediately better without him. Got lost in his ego ahead of the welfare of the team.

Same thing has happened at Real, twice. Benitez & Lopetegui got their asses handed to them by being overcontrolling without enough respect to some great leaders on the pitch. Zidane is no tactical guru but largely just let them play and focus on rotations (I do think him being who he was as a player probably eased at which he could rotate stars w/o a rebellion though)--this was successful in getting his teams in the best positions they could in the CL and quite a few (3) broke his way with some good fortune, though not much domestic success. Still it was light years better, on all levels, than RB.

Van Bommel, we don't know, it is one thing to be very successful in a league with only 2-3 real squads and not the true superstars of the game. When you deal with the best players in the world you have to balance high expectations and managing players who are unique and true forces of the pitch. You can't trade such superstars in and out like you can transfer a good player with a better attitude for a good player with a worse attitude at will just to fit your system and mentality.

Home of Barca Fans