21 - Frenkie de Jong

Rory

Thing with Frenkie is he's never really at fault for anything. That is actually quite an achievement considering those around him constantly making mistakes or simply not being good enough. He's the one where you'd rate almost all performances a 6-7 / 10 regardless of who we're playing.

Considering most (including me) think he can only flourish in a better system (not being put next to a 33 year old who can't run) he's doing well. He hasn't put in a top performances against a good team, he's also not played badly since god knows when. I have faith in him.

Laplacian

Or, he is a Getafe merchant for now.
Just like Mats.

Very good against bad opponents.
Meh against his peers.

And no, 2 good games for Ajax or NT team aren't debunking this claim.

Even Malcom had his CDR match against Real, Dembele had a cup final against Bayern, Mats saved one shot in a CL 6 years ago etc.

It happens here and there.

strong midfielder can't carry his shit midfield against strong opponents. wow congrats, thanks for the revelation.

F. De Jong isn't a problem for this team. Stop hating on good players just so you can be a contrarian. You did this with Neymar as well.

BBZ8800

strong midfielder can't carry his shit midfield against strong opponents. wow congrats, thanks for the revelation.

F. De Jong isn't a problem for this team. Stop hating on good players just so you can be a contrarian. You did this with Neymar as well.

I watched in person Barca during Gaspart's era with coaches like Rexach, Serra Ferrer, Antic.
We had a midfield with Fabio Rochemback, Petit, Gerard Lopez, Riquelme.
And guys like Xavi or even Cocu still managed to have very good performances against big teams.

Of course that teammates and a coach are a big factor.
But even then, you can't be meh every time.

I still haven't write off Frenkie like Mats, Dumbele, Riki, Alena etc.
But I come to post here from time to time, because Frenkie is getting unreal level of credits and alibies compared to his big matches performances.

Also, this excuse: teammates are bad is getting overused.
For guys who grew up during Pep, teams like Ev's and RK's Barca look shit.
But you'll have to get used to it.
This is a normal Barca. Pep was an anomaly, not a rule.

So, players will need to shine and lead a team even in a not so perfect conditions.

Check the pattern:
Dembele was injured, rusty and surrounded by slow teammates for years. (alibies)
In reality: a guy is a terrible footballer.

Poor Arthur was surrounded by teammates who don't make forward runs, and surrounded by bad Raki and Busi.
Also, EV's training regimes were blamed for Arthur's stamina.
In reality: Arthur's forward passing sucks regardless of teammates.
And his stamina sucks regardless of EV.

Semedo was too fast for his teammates. And people said that he can't make assists due to teammates who weren't making runs.
In reality: he sucks in EPL on all levels.

I often say: if a player sucks under 3-4 managers in a row = he probably sucks.
Maybe we should expand it to: if a player plays bad in 4-5-10 big matches in a row, maybe we shouldn't accuse coaches and his teammates all the time?

Tbh, he was hailed as the best or the future best midfielder in the world.

cro-man

He is disappearing in every big game. Cant remember one great performance against a big team. Its enough against small teams in la liga but everything above right now its not. Saddly he is not the only one with that problem.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

He is disappearing in every big game. Cant remember one great performance against a big team. Its enough against small teams in la liga but everything above right now its not. Saddly he is not the only one with that problem.

Im a big fan of De jong but somehow he doesnt step up in big matches. He was terrific in 2019 against real and juve. I think he is the type of player who needs 1-2 good midfield player next to him to shine.

BBZ8800

Im a big fan of De jong but somehow he doesnt step up in big matches. He was terrific in 2019 against real and juve. I think he is the type of player who needs 1-2 good midfield player next to him to shine.

Choirboy syndrome.
They shine only when everything is aligned perfectly.

Coach, players, injuries, refs, momentum.

In tough times, don't hold your breath and hope for wonders from them.

Our team is filled with that type of players.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Choirboy syndrome.

hmm i wouldnt write off him so quickly, its normal for most of the players that they need a good team to shine.

Xaviniesta

Choirboy syndrome.

i assume you had the same opinion for 23-year old wonderman rakitic with 1 goal and 6 assists? :lol:

FinBarcelonafan

Choirboy syndrome.

True. We are weak mentally.

hardyboy

No midfielder in the world can shine when playing with two 18 year old kids in the midfield playing game only suitable for adults.

Last edited:

kattanib

Call me crazy but I think De Jong would be an exceptional CAM .. not a typical one but a very effective one nevertheless

pregra

Even when he is the only one who goes on a run full speed without the ball, it gets dangerous always every time. Imagine if some of the other shitheads actually moved as well. And had legs. Ffs we look like a 60+ team all over the pitch

Home of Barca Fans