21 - Frenkie de Jong

JamDav1982

Because we already have many young players in the team.

This team lacks experienced players who have great work ethic and leadership.

On what planet is Alonso some great leader?

The team has plenty of experience in it and Alonso is not being signed to come and give what they can in terms of leadership.

He will be there as is happy to be a back up, wont take much to settle and they hope wont cost a lot.

Not to come in and be a leader or lead with work ethic.

serghei

Alonso isn't going to bench Alba anyway. Might as well have a 22 year old gamble, someone like Malacia maybe.

If we are to have experienced players maybe spread them out across the positions so that we don't have to buy 2 players for the same position in the same window.

Well, by that logic, neither is a young cheap player, so I'd rather have a more experienced player in rotation who doesn't need games to build confidence and experience and is ready to go and fill in when needed.

serghei

Especially when Grimaldo is available for just 7M, and Gaya for 15M. And they're both still 27. We might end up paying more for Alonso then we would for Grimaldo. :lol: And he could actually bench Alba.

Isn't Grimaldo Spanish? Why isn't Lucho calling him instead of Marcos Alonso then?

gregorrin10

Don't understand why we don't take a punt on a younger LB instead of Alonso as we'll have to replace both Alba and Alonso in 1-2 years otherwise.

Especially when Grimaldo is available for just 7M, and Gaya for 15M. And they're both still 27. We might end up paying more for Alonso then we would for Grimaldo. :lol:

And he could actually bench Alba, and certainly replace him for like 5 years, after Alba finally leaves.

JamDav1982

Well, by that logic, neither is a young cheap player, so I'd rather have a more experienced player in rotation who doesn't need games to build confidence and experience and is ready to go and fill in when needed.

Not same idea though.. a young cheap player to be behind Alba and develop is very different from Alonso in early thirties.

Clubs buy back up and young starters all the time that have to be ready to job they are called on for its not a huge issue.

JamDav1982

Especially when Grimaldo is available for just 7M, and Gaya for 15M. And they're both still 27. We might end up paying more for Alonso then we would for Grimaldo. :lol: And he could actually bench Alba, and certainly replace him for at least 5 years, after Alba finally leaves.

Grimaldo is shite for level Barca need.

If hadnt a Barca past no one would ever mention his name.

Barca just hope he gets sold and get their 15% of fee or whatever they get.

serghei

I'd take Marcos Alonso over Grimaldo and Gaya.

Grimaldo and Gaya aren't good enough to be our fullbacks long term, and for short term Marcos Alonso is probably better and more versatile.

JamDav1982

I'd take Marcos Alonso over Grimaldo and Gaya.

Grimaldo and Gaya aren't good enough to be our fullbacks long term, and for short term Marcos Alonso is probably better and more versatile.

Mmmm not sure Alonso is better than Gaya.

He gets slaughtered most games he plays for Chelsea due to his defending and how unreliable on ball he is often.

JamDav1982

Besides, fullbacks will be the area to improve on massively in 1-2 years. Not now. Not enough funds.

There is funds.. they are choosing to try and spend it in other areas.

Full back is weakest area of the team.

In 1/2 years at this rate will possibly need x4 full backs, DM and not long after that a CF.

JamDav1982

No, that would be wingers and CB for me.

No chance is CB the weakest.

Can have Araujo, Christensen, Garcia and even Pique.

Araujo/Christensen starting pair is far better than Alba and one other.

Still I think Xavi may play Kounde/Araujo at RB at times anyway so taking likes of Kounde in may be part of that plan... defensive RB and wide LB.

Wide players Torres and Fati are better than... Alba and Dest while have Auba can play there if sign a CF and Torre etc could also.

The full backs not being able to do basics has biggst impact on team in comparison to how other top teams play.

Andresito

Staff member
Not too keen on Grimaldo either.

Point with Gaya or a younger player like Malacia (too bad that option is gone) instead of Alonso is that they in 3 years will be 30 and 25 respectively. If they aren't good enough they can be sold for a couple of million or at least stay as a backup to a newer player. At that point we'll know what to expect from them.

In 3 years with Alonso and Alba both will be gone. Two new LB's will come in with both of them needing to adapt. I very much doubt we'll get a plug and play WC LB.

I'd have accepted Alonso if Alba would've been 28 or something.

xXKonan

Alonso has some strengths as he's tall and can score some goals here and there but otherwise, bang average for the most part and mostly excelled as an LM/LWB than as an LB.

Someone you buy to back up your star LB who is either in the middle of their prime or starting. Not your declining LB who is only a year older and is in their twilight years.

Home of Barca Fans