21 - Frenkie de Jong

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Well I mean.

The other options we had was to have a poor squad and sell our best players and become irrelevant and lose out more income with potential commercial partners backing out because the on-field product was so shit.

Oh and by the way we would have still had to sell guys like Frenkie who neither want to leave nor take a paycut.

They are taking a calculated risk. Other option was to become the Spanish Arsenal.

Klysmakabouter

Well I mean.

The other options we had was to have a poor squad and sell our best players and become irrelevant and lose out more income with potential commercial partners backing out because the on-field product was so shit.

Oh and by the way we would have still had to sell guys like Frenkie who neither want to leave nor take a paycut.

They are taking a calculated risk. Other option was to become the Spanish Arsenal.

They are focusing on short term succes. They could also have chosen to rebuild. Focus on youth in stead of desperately pleasing the fans by signing big names for big fees. What Laporta is doing now is doubling down. Maybe you can call this a calculated risk, it is a big risk nonetheless.

iniestaGOAT

They are focusing on short term succes. They could also have chosen to rebuild. Focus on youth in stead of desperately pleasing the fans by signing big names for big fees. What Laporta is doing now is doubling down. Maybe you can call this a calculated risk, it is a big risk nonetheless.

We bought all young players apart from lewandowski should be here for 5-8 years

Judoman

Exactly. Every business decision is a risk to some extent. Leaving things as they were would have been much worse.

I wish Laporta was president during Messi's long prime. I'm positive we would have won more CL's.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

I agree, it is a different philosophy and approach that I'd have preferred but I also understand the other perspective and approach.

Honestly of all the signings we made so far this summer, they are trying to rebuild and lay some sort of foundations for the future, Lewandowski's transfer was the only one that was bucking the trend. You can never go full retard and do a rebuild consisting only of La Masia cantera or youth players though, because that will take a long time and competitively if we wait that long, the detrimental effect on our economics will be too great to bear with.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

That will not win games nor attract people commercially. It is an idealistic vision with no grounds in the realities of modern day football as it is now. We do not want to become Arsenal or Ajax.

Also same problem. In order to balance out the mess the last board left they would have likely had to sell guys like Pedri, Frenkie, Gavi, Araujo just to balance the books, pay off some of the debt, etc.

Anyone who rather want us to line up with some youth players or scrubs are deluded.

It is not the safe option. It runs the risk of going years without winning or even competing and fading into irrelevancy.

Zidane82

That will not win games nor attract people commercially. It is an idealistic vision with no grounds in the realities of modern day football as it is now. We do not want to become Arsenal or Ajax.

Also same problem. In order to balance out the mess the last board left they would have likely had to sell guys like Pedri, Frenkie, Gavi, Araujo just to balance the books, pay off some of the debt, etc.

Anyone who rather want us to line up with some youth players or scrubs are deluded.

It is not the safe option. It runs the risk of going years without winning or even competing and fading into irrelevancy.

Like the last few years ?

Givenchy

����️| The agents of Frenkie de Jong and Martin Braithwaite have left without meeting the club as they were angry and hence, declined to meet. The club is also upset.
[@tjuanmarti & @albert_roge] #fcblive

YIKES

FCMessi

no title or award for political correctness.

too bad Barca not willing to hook up with sugar daddy tycoons.

desperate time and desperate measures.

serghei

no title or award for political correctness.

too bad Barca not willing to hook up with sugar daddy tycoons.

desperate time and desperate measures.

Have to say it would be fun seeing a colossus like Barcelona with this kind of appeal and history also having the possibility to just flush 200-300m and raid the market leaving the EPL wannabes in the dust.

:lol:

Probably Madrid would be hit the most by a Barca with billionaire backing.

Imagine current Barca with Pep in charge and City money, would almost cherry pick any players they want more or less. Imagine all that with a 105k seats new stadium.

Home of Barca Fans