21 - Frenkie de Jong

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Laporta said many good things on that topic, and already said he wants him to stay, and if he refuses to decrease salary there is nothing that can be made and he will stay on his salary.
If anything, club official stance was nothing but respectable

Did Laporta really say that? Source?

Birdy

We all know Laporta is a politician.
What would you expect him to say on an interview everyone is watching? That the club will unilaterally change Frenkie's contract?
What he says in public is different from what the actual strategy the board is pursuing, and we all know they are desperate to get his wage off the books and with good reasons.

Now, about 'what the club can do' question:
If there is no clear illegality in Barto's renewal, then the club can't do anything unilaterally in regards to his contract.
BUT,
they can do hell lot sportingly.
The first step is making Frenkie redundant for the team. And it's very simple how this takes place: by signing Bernardo Silva, who the coach is obsessed with anyway.
This is the simple move that gives the upper hand to the club in the whole Frenkie saga.
Because, Frenkie will be reduced to a benchwarmer, with others being first choice in all positions (interiors, pivot, CBs even)

Then, it will be a question is the player wants to retire at 25, collecting a paycheck to live in Barcelona,
or has some ambitions still in him.
If it's the latter, he will personally request a transfer to Chelsea or any other top club paying a good wage

Givenchy

I think this ends tonight, Romero said the coming hours are crucial and with Bernardo situation heating up.. Once he gives Chelsea the green light, they bid and it's done.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yes, it was one of his 2 dozens daily interviews in USA.
Tough to look back (because as I mentioned Laporta made too many interviews) but if I stumbled on it I will send it

Thanks. I found that quite incredible, if he actually said that it was like him pleading with Frenkie, saying “we hope you will reduce your salary but if you don’t, there is nothing we can do about it and so be it”.

khaled_a_d

Thanks. I found that quite incredible, if he actually said that it was like him pleading with Frenkie, saying “we hope you will reduce your salary but if you don’t, there is nothing we can do about it and so be it”.

tbf he was pressed by the interviewer.
Basically said we want him to stay etc,that our captain and new signings accepted new wage rules so we hope Frenkie do the same.
So was asked what if Frenkie refuses to decrease salary or leave? Does he stay. Laporta said yes.

I think while he is indeed pleading publicly that nothing can be done ,it is why privately there is pressure and both sides are using the press for it.

This is BS, another year with turtle Busquets as DM.
We never learn it seems.
Anyway if FDJ doesn't want to reduce his salary, then that's fine, can't blame him.
I'm sure he will perform great in EPL.

BADGERBHOY

People will stop talking about it once the season starts but people will remember this.

I thought we would be able to register all players with the 4th lever and Pique taking a paycut?

I thought we would be able to register them after the 2nd lever, then it was the 3rd and now the 4th.
There seems to be a lot of misinformation getting flung around.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I think a Bernardo Silva and FdJ trade is still a possibility.

Would rather we went on with what we got. That gipsy will hit the wall soon and will have 0 re-sale value.

Also pretty sure Frenkie likes it here seems like a normal guy and will take a reasonable pay-cut to help the club.

Birdy

Would rather we went on with what we got. That gipsy will hit the wall soon and will have 0 re-sale value.

Also pretty sure Frenkie likes it here seems like a normal guy and will take a reasonable pay-cut to help the club.

If he was willing to take a pay-cut, this would have been resolved 3 months ago or more...

He obviously doesn't, and it's gonna get ugly if the doesn't agree to a transfer as well

Home of Barca Fans