21 - Frenkie de Jong

fergus90

Did they really even need to leak it? Half the fanbase is indifferent about him going anyway.

Never a dull day at Barcelona :lol:

JamDav1982

Nah the club seek to protect Pique and dont have any desire to force him out and try to save the huge money he will be on.

That is a Pique who no other decent level team would take for free compared to FDJ who Barca are looking at getting 85m for.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I mean what will they do if he refuses to leave and take a paycut? Bench him? Not happening since they didn't even bench Dembele after his and his agent's crazy demands with his contract running out.

Cannot force through a sale and I doubt Xavi will just perma-bench him or send him to the stands as they failed to make an example out of a player with his contract running out.

Andresito

Staff member
What will happen is that his reluctancy is going to give him a bad reputation. A huge transfer fee and a big salary would allow for the club to improve the squad, instead Frenkie will once again struggle to find a place in the team.

Unless Frenkie is given time at Busi's place, I can definitely see him becoming a bench player during the season, not as a punishment though. If he doesn't start providing things nobody else does, both Gavi and Kessie will surpass him.
He was frustrated by always being the first one taken off in the second halves, I hope he realizes it won't be easier this season.

JamDav1982

Top clubs rarely bench players even when it is final year of contract this idea that messages get sent to players through doing that is largely nonsense.

They threatened to bench Iliax for the season and didnt act as any threat to Dembele and he knew club would not weaken team to bench him.

The club were 100% correct not to bench Dembele. It would have served no purpose.

If I am FDJ I am asking for the deferred salary and signing bonus to go. Which is probably closer to 25/30m.

That is probably why the battle is on from club to make this about money.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

What will happen is that his reluctancy is going to give him a bad reputation. A huge transfer fee and a big salary would allow for the club to improve the squad, instead Frenkie will once again struggle to find a place in the team.

Unless Frenkie is given time at Busi's place, I can definitely see him becoming a bench player during the season, not as a punishment though. If he doesn't start providing things nobody else does, both Gavi and Kessie will surpass him.
He was frustrated by always being the first one taken off in the second halves, I hope he realizes it won't be easier this season.
Tbh against the higher quality teams & in Europe you could clearly see the difference with Frenkie there and Gavi there. Frenkie gave a lot more stability.

Gavi is very good but he shouldn't be a starter if we are aspiring to win trophies this season, he's too young to hold that big responsibility.

Devils

Options:

1) Go to Manchester United. Play Europa League and don't compete for domestic trophies .
2) Stay at Barcelona and take a paycut
3) Stay and Barcelona and refuse to take a paycut

Can't blame him if he chooses option 3.

Stunning.

jamrock

At some point the club & fans will have to understand people aren't in the habit of giving back money lol.

At least he plays & works hard unlike some of the others.

But all this Frankie leaving talk is showing that's It was all about the Benjamin's all along, xavi not liking him just makes it easier lol.

I wonder if man utd are willing to match or even increase is wages?.

malvolio

At some point the club & fans will have to understand people aren't in the habit of giving back money lol.

At least he plays & works hard unlike some of the others.

But all this Frankie leaving talk is showing that's It was all about the Benjamin's all along, xavi not liking him just makes it easier lol.

I wonder if man utd are willing to match or even increase is wages?.

Pogba left and CR is also on the way out. Plenty of room left in the budget with those two gone.

JamDav1982

The primary reason is Xavi not rating him highly enough.

For other players he rates if on similar money it would be a different story.

The club would at first try to find way to decrease costs on books each season and take it from there not try to get him to leave and then mention the money to apply pressure.

Folk just lap up whatever club claim when cant see the games in play.

Birdy

Options:

1) Go to Manchester United. Play Europa League and don't compete for domestic trophies .
2) Stay at Barcelona and take a paycut
3) Stay and Barcelona and refuse to take a paycut

Can't blame him if he chooses option 3.

Stunning.

He will be scapegoated badly if he goes down 3, and rightfully so IMO.
He knows the fat contract he is sitting on was signed by the previous administration and Laporta is introducing a 10m net wage cup to all squad members.
He can't be having it his own way.
If he really loves the club and wants to stay, he can downgrade to Ansu's, Pedri's (and Dembele's after the renewal) money and show that he wants to stay above all.

Plus, he won't be playing a lot (like Dembele) if he goes down that way. He was always the first Xavi was subbing out last term from the md, he knows the team does not need him that much

JamDav1982

Folk claiming players should show they 'love the club' are same ones who think club should punt players into the stand when players dont sign on contracts that they want them to.

Usual nonsense.

If club wanted him to renegotiate salary that would be the first discussion and not something leaked into media once they have deal with United agreed and trying to apply pressure of him being some kind of money grabber to force it through.

Home of Barca Fans