21 - Frenkie de Jong

Andresito

Staff member
Still expecting more from him. Could've created a big chance for Memphis in the first half but the pass was overhit and sloppy.

malvolio

Still expecting more from him. Could've created a big chance for Memphis in the first half but the pass was overhit and sloppy.

nearly 2,5 seasons now. time to admit he transferred to the wrong team?

he would suit liverpool under klopp perfectly. or bayern.

Joan

His problem is that people seem to be incapable of separating individual and team performances.

What are you trying to say? That he's putting great performances week in week out but goes unnoticed because of the team? Have to disagree.

He's surely above our average, but it leaves a lot to be desired individually.

A good player, plenty of qualities, and could be a great stystem player (even though I hate the term) somewhere else. Doubt Barca gives him that anytime soon.

I wouldn't sell yet. Replacing him AND upgrading on Busquets would be impossible.

jamrock

Sell or get a coach that can use him properly, I thought that would have been Koeman but I was wrong,in this market you could get 90m for him, use it to build the squad.

serghei

Sell or get a coach that can use him properly, I thought that would have been Koeman but I was wrong,in this market you could get 90m for him, use it to build the squad.

I agree. Unfortunate because IMO he's very likable, but you can't just take the ball and run with it until you lose it. He needs to have a clearer position for sure. Whether he can adapt to a more positional game in midfield remains to be seen. We'll know more if we get a different profile manager.

But the way he is used is a major factor for why we don't dominate even likes of Getafe and Granada.

fergus90

Even the likes of Ruud Gullit have recently highlighted his individual performance needs improving too. I like De Jong and think he has great qualities but currently he's not being used effectively.

To be honest, I personally don't think the midfield looks any worse off when he's not in it currently and his better performances have been at libero, where he's able to progress the ball into space up the field and can then lay it off.

I definitely wouldn't sell him but I think he would benefit massively from a coach that can help him understand certain aspects of midfield play, where he should be occupying positions etc.

Andresito

Staff member
Both him and Pedri are replaceable at the moment. They're just part of the XI when they play. Better than their subs, sure, but they're rarely making a big difference.

That said, both of them have the potential to reach that level. The question is how much more they are going to develop.

Home of Barca Fans