21 - Frenkie de Jong

Rassvet

Time for him to take Busi's position and leave Gavi, Pedri, Puig, Nico, Couts, and Roberto to fight over the two advanced positions.

Bobo32

I'm not sure it's even true or the passing was faster because we played Levante. But an interesting idea.

Interesting that it's interesting, I think it's a bit self-evident? He takes a lot of time a lot of the time.

mc_lovin

Has he actually improved since Ajax?
I do feel like he still has the same flaws he did back then

I still think he was better for Ajax, maybe because he had a more refined role for them. But I have no worries about him, he's genuinely worldclass. A lot of his 'problems' will solve themselves when we have a functioning team again. I know it always sounds like excuses, but we have one capable forward so far (hopefully two soon) and just one last season as well.

Bobo32

Maybe he could play as a 10, or false 9, behind Fati and Depay for example...
I think MC and DMC are almost the roles that fit his style the least

Bobo32

Yeah, this is what I thought after seeing him for maybe 5-10 games on the midfield, and I still think this might be his best role if they play like I want. Otoh I really like Garcia so far, and think CB position looks better this year than before.

fergus90

Personally, I believe he needs to improve and I believe he's stated that himself too. But he's probably never going to have the pressure to improve as he's guaranteed a starting spot regardless.

He is great at progressing the ball and can protect it well but there are elements to his game that do need improvement. I don't think he's quite the finished article that people want to believe.

mc_lovin

Personally, I believe he needs to improve and I believe he's stated that himself too. But he's probably never going to have the pressure to improve as he's guaranteed a starting spot regardless.

He is great at progressing the ball and can protect it well but there are elements to his game that do need improvement. I don't think he's quite the finished article that people want to believe.

I think the whole team would profit from a football 'teacher' as our next coach, someone like van Gaal (well, not him obviously :p) or Guardiola. I hope Xavi fits that bill if he's the chosen one.

Apart from that there's a lot of talk about nothing for me. Frenkie was motm in half our games so far, that's exceptional for a CM.

serghei

For sure he needs to improve, but I also think this position where he makes many runs forward is not very good for him. He lacks attacking instincts imo. He should be given a run in for a few games in Busi's position.

I would like him to be more involved in controlling the midfield battle. He is often missing from there. His area of action is just too big, so he's rarely where he should be to impact actions more.

Birdy

For sure he needs to improve, but I also think this position where he makes many runs forward is not very good for him. He lacks attacking instincts imo. He should be given a run in for a few games in Busi's position.

I would like him to be more involved in controlling the midfield battle. He is often missing from there. His area of action is just too big, so he's rarely where he should be to impact actions more.

He should start from the defense or pick the ball there to progress play through his runs:
His best games were at Libero in 20/21
He played at CB most of his youth
At the great Ajax of 18/19, he was on double pivot, but the one who was dropping left or right of the two CBs to collect the ball and start an attack through a run, rather than a pass

He is not an interior in the mold of Iniesta or Xavi, he will never be
Let's use his qualities as best as possible

Andresito

Staff member
Frenkie is the worst man marker I've ever seen. He's non-existent when it comes to defending crosses in our box.

Home of Barca Fans