21 - Frenkie de Jong

vegitot

FAADORdVQAQKBU9

FAADORtUcAop11z

Spot the differences....

That mf Casemiro always gets away from it.

malvolio

Undeserved red. But otherwise again we are discussing the same thing with him. Was he worth all that money?

I like the guy, as he along with Ter Stegen seems to enjoy living in Barcelona.

FinBarcelonafan

Undeserved red. But otherwise again we are discussing the same thing with him. Was he worth all that money?

Can't say he is worth his salary or the fee we paid.

I haven't seen enough improvement since he joined Barca.

Bobo32

So far, no.
He isn't the type of player that can be put into a non-functioning team without instruction and shine very much.
He will do enough not to be criticized too hard as he can solve his situations decently, but he won't lift the team or really even improve the team overall.
With the right guidance, in the right system, I still think he could be invaluable.

mc_lovin

So far, no.
He isn't the type of player that can be put into a non-functioning team without instruction and shine very much.
He will do enough not to be criticized too hard as he can solve his situations decently, but he won't lift the team or really even improve the team overall.
With the right guidance, in the right system, I still think he could be invaluable.

Which midfielder can? Only worldclass forwards are able to do that, but they won't win titles on their own either (best example is Ronaldo pre Real Madrid midfield greatness).

Point is, we need both, and we are seriously lacking in our frontline. I have a hard time criticizing anyone in this team (apart from Busquets, who looks genuinely horrible this season so far - and I don't see myself as a mindless hater of him, his EM was fantastic and last season was mostly good as well).

Bobo32

Which midfielder can? Only worldclass forwards are able to do that, but they won't win titles on their own either (best example is Ronaldo pre Real Madrid midfield greatness).

Point is, we need both, and we are seriously lacking in our frontline. I have a hard time criticizing anyone in this team (apart from Busquets, who looks genuinely horrible this season so far - and I don't see myself as a mindless hater of him, his EM was fantastic and last season was mostly good as well).

You sort of have a point, but there are midfielders who can shine, and there are midfielders who can look a lot better than FdJ does in this situation.

Busquets is actually one of them, despite him clearly needing a sort of setup that suits him, those who can see can see that he's great.
Statswise yesterday, Busquets played 13 passes into the final third (Gavi 11, Frenkie 8) and 14 progressive passes (Depay 7, Frenkie 5)

olivis

Imo he can still be one of the best midfielders of this generation.

What do De Bruyne, Kimmich, Modric, Kroos have in common?

They play in a good team. I think FDJ could shine elsewhere, but this may be my Dutch bias.

fergus90

They play in a good team. I think FDJ could shine elsewhere, but this may be my Dutch bias.

What Kroos, Kimmich and De Bruyne have in common is a greater range of passing, to be honest about it.

That's why he's performed best in the libero role in my opinion as his dribbling and progressing with the ball is a big asset there.

Klysmakabouter

I aswell have Dutch bias towards FdJ, but I also feel he has been underwhelming. First excuse was that he was adjusting to a new positions, now the excuse is that he lacks good players around him.
FdJ has elite ball retention, he is usefull no doubt, but that's pretty much it. Gullit is right IMO; to be considered on the level of Modric, De Bruyne, you need to expect more from him. I'm not seeing much progression in FdJ's shooting or long passes for example. To a point you have to ask yourself, will he ever get to that level we thought he would go.

Home of Barca Fans