21 - Frenkie de Jong

khaled_a_d

A physical CDM behind Pedri and Frenkie would be the best option. A Fabinho type would fit in well, although there aren't many in the world.

This is where it gets tricky, I think DM will need to be more skilled on the ball than Fabinho to compliment the other two.
Although it is tough to make such argument in vacuum since there is a lot of variables, such as the style of play next coach will implement, what type of defenders and attackers are we going to have

Porque

The best DM would be a prime Busquets with his current scope of passing. To exploit vertical passes from the 3rd line as de Jong will be arriving in the box and not helping the build up against parked busses.

Or someone like Pjanic who can do the same but looked way past his prime here and wasn't given the chance to fully adapt.

So basically a good ballplaying dmc which is scarce in current football.

It's probably an easier job to have a coach who can get de Jong to play DMC in a Barcelona style and then re-invest in a central midfielder as there are alot of controlling mids around.

If de Jong can't do that then CB or sell.

Or we are all wrong about de Jong-Pedri just like we were about Xsvi-Iniesta and it ends up being a world class midfield as Pedri matures.

Birdy

I think this year was instructive as to his best qualities.

We know from day 1 that he is excellent in ball retention, and in all-round running to cover spaces.
But this season we saw more clearly that:
he is good in making runs from deep into the box, but at the same time he is not ideal in moving the ball fast with progressive passing.
Both old Busi and Pedri do it much better

I think his best position is the 'libero' he played for a month or so.
No coincidence that the 3-4-3/3-5-2 worked the best with him playing there and moving with the ball in the mid whenever he deemed fit by the play.
Him bombing in the box to score is a good feat, but it has to happen from a position that is not where we need fast circulation of the ball.

Given that Koeman wants to play with Depay-Kun(or Fati)-Messi trio up top, I don't see him a good fit at all in the DM position.
Either he plays right interior, which will eventually cripple partially his qualities (as he will find himself on the right all the time covering for messi defensively in a new Rakitic role),
OR IMO he plays libero and the system looks more like 3-4-3

Joan

I assume the word is tough?
If we are planning to build a midfield around him, then I agree. But if we are planning to build a midfield with him then I don't think it is tough.
He fits the Rakitic role IMO, a bit different but he is a guy who works so hard and can score some goals.
Pedri should fit into Iniesta role, and we are left with the toughest task in replacing Busquets.
Also, a more mobile attack will improve our midfield immensely.

Tough, yes, it's a typo.

I agree with what you said, what I meant is that creating a well-functioning midfield with Pedri and FdJ as its integral parts seems like a tough task. But maybe a more mobile attack clears the picture. Finding a suitable Busquets replacement will be an extremely tough task, that's the main problem since it's actually the only missing link. You can't (at least that's what I think) go with a purely physical dm. If the next coaches try to maintain the style, and with the likes of Xavi being possible candidates it seems like it, we'll need (i) a good technician with good passing range to compensate for de Jong's shortcomings in that regard, and (ii) a more mobile, more agile, and stronger dm than current Busquets. But if we find such player and these two continue with their development curves, it could be a world-class midfield. The problem is I can't think of such a player right now.

Didn't see this post before:
This is where it gets tricky, I think DM will need to be more skilled on the ball than Fabinho to compliment the other two.
Although it is tough to make such argument in vacuum since there is a lot of variables, such as the style of play next coach will implement, what type of defenders and attackers are we going to have
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Kinda a moment (or season) of truth for him. He has to become a new leader of this team. He is the highest profile player left, right age and has been here for 2 years already. He said he wanted to stay at Barca for years the other day, wonder how he feels now :lol: If we don't win LL or CL in the next 2 years, I think he goes.

Found the quote:

He told Sport: “I'm on contract until 2026, I have a lot of time left.

"But if I feel good and the club are happy with my job, I would like to play at Barca for a long time. A lot of time.

"If all goes well, I would like to stay here."

jamrock

He is gone in 2 years he is our most valuable asset gotta cash in on him, of gavi nico moriba keys plus whoever else works out, we sell him for 80m & use that money to improve the team

Home of Barca Fans