21 - Frenkie de Jong

Bobo32

I catch myself reading his redcafe thread from time to time. Hilarious stuff. Him and Messi are the main reasons why we are good to watch. Just imagine this team with Rabiot instead of him :lol:

Still cant believe that some people have such a hard time spotting/recognizing his talent. All it took for me was watching a single Ajax game. His technique is glorious.

Same for me, but then it took me a few games for Barcelona until I started realizing he had big flaws to his game as well.

I really love his technique, his calmness, even his personality, he is absolutely brilliant in sequences, and it shows the most when he has a bit of space and time but is still under pressure, he can overperform in these situations.
I think he is very ambitious in one way - he wants to have the ball a lot and be involved all over the pitch - but in another way he is a bit unambitious in that he won't really adjust his positioning constantly, and he is often seeking out the cozy space laterally or in the same space as the ball holder in order to recieve.

With the ball, players like Xavi and Iniesta had at least 3-4 options in their head all the time, and updated their options twice or more every second. I think Frenkie has fewer options in his head and updates them less frequently, but he is as extreme as them in his willingness to play "good football", he won't just clear the ball or pass rutlessly, but always seek a constructive option. As Barcelona often face tight defences, he will often hold on to the ball a bit too long and look for the option before realizing he has to pass it backwards. Compared to Xavi or Iniesta, he will be more forceful in attacking the space when he sees it, while still being more controlled than most other midfielders.

giorgoXXI

His 4 yellow cards are worrying (and Messi's, but he doesn't tackle). We have no alternative for him in midfield if he is missing in one of the big games remaining (mainly Valencia and Atletico).

JPM85

Should have taken a yellow yesterday.
Now he has to play composed against Valencia, to not be suspended against Athletico.

serghei

Nobody commented, but quite a terrible game from him. Both him and Moriba were invisible in midfield except some bits here and there.

JohnN

Whole team lost focus in the second half.
Looked like a different game.
I believe it's both fatigue and koeman not yet handling small advantages well.
At some point the ball won't go in and we won't score many goals. The defense really needs to be able to hold a clean sheet some times, especially against teams that only make 2 attempts in 90 minutes. 2 attempts 2 goals. Amazing..

pregra

Not his best game but both of the first two goals are in large part due to him running in behind. He has really taken a step regarding that in the latter half of the season.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Ridiculous how many games he's pacing himself in order not to get that yellow. Should get one vs Atleti and be done with it

Home of Barca Fans