21 - Frenkie de Jong

Busquets is really too slow for the big games, he can"t can cover large spaces. I think Frenkie should be the starter Defensive Midfielder next season, and bench Busquets especially against strong teams.
As for the box-to-box role there is Moriba, or someone like wijnaldum if he comes..

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Overrated Hypejob. But it's Busi's fault because there's no more Rakitic, Suarez and Valverde to blame

We dominated midfield. If you want to pick on a player try someone else. Dembele who looked lost, Araujo who got taken for a ride by Benz, Alba who left space behind him. Don't knowy anyone realistic. You pick De Jong instead.

Joan

I honestly don't know where I'd play him. Like him the most as a libero. With time, he'd learn when to move forward or into the box as well. But 3 at the back is not staying and as I don't see him as a DM, he could play as a box to box midfielder. When he plays there, makes better runs, was obvious against Real too, but still leaves a lot to be desired. Might improve with a better midfield setup, but with him and Pedri we might have to give up the idea of Barca-like control and try to find something that suits the players, not the other way around.

Dammie10

Thanks for this answer, a very interesting read!
I will say that as with Cruyff, it's so often the opposite of what it appears like from the outside. I used to think about the dutch as being a very analytic, argumentative, ideologic but also a bit "free-thinking" people when it comes to football... I used to have a dutch coach who was a master at details, very free-thinking.

I fell in love with Frenkie in Ajax CL run, as everybody else. Then I was curious to see him at Barcelona, but it didn't take me long to think that the CB position would suit him better. I didn't know then that he had ever played there before... I can see that it could've halted his progress back then, that it wasn't right, and maybe he even got used to some (for him destructive) patterns because of that, making him play worse at midfield. A bit ironic then, because now I think this will be the role that he has the best potential to become great in, I still have very high faith in him in this libero position.

Thanks for this answer, a very interesting read!
I will say that as with Cruyff, it's so often the opposite of what it appears like from the outside. I used to think about the dutch as being a very analytic, argumentative, ideologic but also a bit "free-thinking" people when it comes to football... I used to have a dutch coach who was a master at details, very free-thinking.

I fell in love with Frenkie in Ajax CL run, as everybody else. Then I was curious to see him at Barcelona, but it didn't take me long to think that the CB position would suit him better. I didn't know then that he had ever played there before... I can see that it could've halted his progress back then, that it wasn't right, and maybe he even got used to some (for him destructive) patterns because of that, making him play worse at midfield. A bit ironic then, because now I think this will be the role that he has the best potential to become great in, I still have very high faith in him in this libero position.

You name Cruyff and indeed he was totally different then the typical Dutch football thinker. Believe it or not, when he was analyzing those perfect details on television most Dutch people were actually laughing at the way he formulated it instead of learning from the master. The hype around football is much more popular then the analyses for them. It?s a known saying that ? you can?t understand Cruyff but it must be right ?. That?s the way they look at it here. I don?t think I have to say more about the way they observe football. You always have a couple like your coach who are different but not too many. Also they?re not free thinking at all imo. They like the safe way and avoid risks, so for many years it was boring football with nobody dare to turn away from his marker and played back directly. It changed a little bit better tho

He had played as a cb from the 5/6th match in the 2017-2018 season until March 2018 when he had that injury. Frenkie-De Ligt next to each other. He made some real mistakes because it?s not his position, so I don?t think it suits him in a 4-3-3. He has that bite sometimes to try eating his opponent but what you already stated very good is that it also fades away. It then looks like he doesn?t care and not giving his all. Also as a defender. Saw that couple of times at Ajax. That dissapointent nudge with his head that teammates are making mistakes. Those seconds are crucial sometimes because play goes on. De Ligt was sooo good defensively that he always helped him out when necessary.

I think his best position is as a left/right attacking cm with a 6 behind him but the other cm has to be the more attacking one. He needs to play between the most defensive midfielder and the more attacking one. That area suits him because he?s not the real tackler but also not the one that makes goals constantly. Now you see Pedri being more in that position and frenkie more towards the strikers. It has to be the other way around in order for Frenkie to play his best. Pedri does this so good that Koeman won?t change it tho

BerkeleyBernie

Some kind of jack of all trades but master of none. He isn't bad, bud he doesn't excel in a single position either. Not the return you would expect for 80 mil

I've never understood the hype. Average player for me. Seems pretty much another Rakitic. Best when he's been used in the back line. No natural instinct in the midfield. Often dribbles 1v1 (and in dangerous positions) just to win the fight with his marker without any further intention. Vision is limited to whatever direction he's facing.

Raketa10

He needs to play as a DM. Problem is he can't play there because on old man Busi needs to start every fucking game. We need to start playing him in his natural position and not a as a fucking defender or CM. Barca are ruining De Jong because Busquets who was done 2 seasons ago can't be benched.

Home of Barca Fans