21 - Frenkie de Jong

serghei

No midfield can be out numbered with 2-3 players can do that, you can ask Pep's favorite student Xavi and he say exactly the opposite of what you are saying.
Midfield dominance is dependant on the two other lines and vice versa. You don't dominate midfield with just your midfielder, you need the whole team being capable of doing it.
We don't have attackers to support midfield, not since 2016. We look for the easy excuse and blame our midfielders.

No, what you say it's half of the problem. Truth, but half of it. And it's the half we half to cope with. We have to cope with Messi being lazy because that's the player he is and he creates a lot to make up for it. We don't really have to cope with the shit of Valverde though.

The correct way to put it is that the midfield is also lacking support from Messi and Suarez (Griezmann works hard to make up for that), but it is also way too immobile and stiff from a tactical standpoint even in itself. And that part is directly tied to the manager's ineptitude.

There's no doubt a better manager would improve it, even in current conditions.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Can't believe it's almost 2020 and Khaled is still even remotely defending Busquets and Rakitic, or EV for that matter.

Messi has one big flaw, which is his work rate. Everything else he brings to the table is best in the world to alien level.

Common sense would dictate which end we need to focus on to win big trophies again.

khaled_a_d

Can't believe it's almost 2020 and Khaled is still even remotely defending Busquets and Rakitic, or EV for that matter.

Messi has one big flaw, which is his work rate. Everything else he brings to the table is best in the world to alien level.

Common sense would dictate which end we need to focus on to win big trophies again.

1-Where did I defend EV on this game? Said already in his thread it was a poor game. Said even in this thread that he didn't respond as we wanted. Said in Suarez thread he (Luis) should be sacrificed and benched.
2-I've been criticizing Busquets in EV first year, and people were hating me because of it. You are either mixing me with someone else or talking nonsense.
3-I generally think last summer we should have sold Raki, but that is a history. But today he did what he could and helped defense very well. Didn't fuck up when he had the ball and played the best we could ask from a DM being out numbered.
4-I was actually defending FDJ, not those 2 players. But people not even trying to read.
5-Messi is the best in the world, but in past 3 years he had his big flaws that cost us a lot. And one of those has been his "chemistry" that has gone to an unhealthy extent with Suarez. Having one those walking players could be compensated for, having 2 of them (and big reason why Suarez is starting is because Messi need a striker who can play with his back to the goal) is disastrous for the whole team.

Last edited:

serghei

Khaled, there are many things which bring you midfield dominance. Most of those are tied to management and player quality. At elite teams who have a lot of resources and access to the best player, what is left is management. Possession football is tough to pull off. You need to know a lot of football to play it. Valverde doesn't have what it takes.

If we both accept that as true, and we both agree Valverde is a major flaw in this team, then yes, I can agree with almost all of your points, regarding Messi and Suarez. But if you try to make it sound as if Valverde is somehow a victim in all of this, that's really not fair. Valverde would be nothing without the star forwards we have. They are the reason why he's won big titles at Barcelona. Be sure of that.

vegitot

i would love to see which coach with Dejong, washed up Rakitic and Vidal,Sergi Roberto could domimate Isco-Valverde-Kross-Casemiro.
Name me one please.

FinBarcelonafan

i would love to see which coach with Dejong, washed up Rakitic and Vidal,Sergi Roberto could domimate Isco-Valverde-Kross-Casemiro.
Name me one please.

yeah it's becoming obvious our midfield really sucks and Suarez. We need to buy at least two good midfielders and one striker. impossible for one summer.

clemente

Hope he drops transfer request in 2 weeks, I don't know what is wrong with him to waste his talent in this filthy dump, his potential is insane and he won't fulfill even 60% of it here.

khaled_a_d

Khaled, there are many things which bring you midfield dominance. Most of those are tied to management and player quality. At elite teams who have a lot of resources and access to the best player, what is left is management. Possession football is tough to pull off. You need to know a lot of football to play it. Valverde doesn't have what it takes.

If we both accept that as true, and we both agree Valverde is a major flaw in this team, then yes, I can agree with almost all of your points, regarding Messi and Suarez. But if you try to make it sound as if Valverde is somehow a victim in all of this, that's really not fair. Valverde would be nothing without the star forwards we have. They are the reason why he's won big titles at Barcelona. Be sure of that.

I've explained my stance on EV zillion of time, I won't go in depth again for that. I said for a team that is awfully constructed and overrated like ours, he has done decent job in first 2 years with what he has despite the bad aesthetics of it. He ran his course with 2 season and this year I didn't expect anything. Same shitty mistake building the team and 3rd year is usually declining for most managers here .
Now, I don't like to go personal in arguments. but while we are at "your opinion" and calling out each others:
This season I've avoided discussing EV as much as possible , as I said I thought the idea of him staying was wrong and people are mad about anything about him. So what is the point? Afterall I am not here to provoke people.
But I've been against people loving to blame everything on coach, and you have been one of those. The whole "I want to see player X under great manager first" nonsense, or our La Masia problem is on EV , and the whole other bs.
Same people has put same type of arguments against Lucho in his 3rd year, wanted to see Gomes/Denis with another manager, day dreaming about what Sampaoli would do here. Same old same old.
And on top of that they are putting comparisons to Pep and Klopp :rofl1::rofl1: . this is like teams through this decade blaming their superstar for not being equally good to Messi & CR7 and thinking that they need player of their caliber to win. Guess what, it isn't gonna happen as those are generational coaches and team rarely have access to one of those.
Odds that we are getting an inferior coach to EV is way higher than we get someone in the same level of Klopp or Pep. So we will need to build a team probably and forget this fantasy about the magical coach who will heal players with the touch of his hand. Especially when we know that Koeman is almost lock to come here.
But Nah, god forbid people think pointing to any flaw in the team is anything but defending EV. I came here talking about FDJ but suddenly it is about Valverde.

Raki13

Looks a far better player when he playing in an attacking midfield role , hes wasted playing the defensive role. The whole midfield look as though they will get a nose bleed if they play a forward pass.

Hopefully gets better under a better manager.

I've explained my stance on EV zillion of time, I won't go in depth again for that. I said for a team that is awfully constructed and overrated like ours, he has done decent job in first 2 years with what he has despite the bad aesthetics of it. He ran his course with 2 season and this year I didn't expect anything. Same shitty mistake building the team and 3rd year is usually declining for most managers here .
Now, I don't like to go personal in arguments. but while we are at "your opinion" and calling out each others:
This season I've avoided discussing EV as much as possible , as I said I thought the idea of him staying was wrong and people are mad about anything about him. So what is the point? Afterall I am not here to provoke people.
But I've been against people loving to blame everything on coach, and you have been one of those. The whole "I want to see player X under great manager first" nonsense, or our La Masia problem is on EV , and the whole other bs.
Same people has put same type of arguments against Lucho in his 3rd year, wanted to see Gomes/Denis with another manager, day dreaming about what Sampaoli would do here. Same old same old.
And on top of that they are putting comparisons to Pep and Klopp :rofl1::rofl1: . this is like teams through this decade blaming their superstar for not being equally good to Messi & CR7 and thinking that they need player of their caliber to win. Guess what, it isn't gonna happen as those are generational coaches and team rarely have access to one of those.
Odds that we are getting an inferior coach to EV is way higher than we get someone in the same level of Klopp or Pep. So we will need to build a team probably and forget this fantasy about the magical coach who will heal players with the touch of his hand. Especially when we know that Koeman is almost lock to come here.
But Nah, god forbid people think pointing to any flaw in the team is anything but defending EV. I came here talking about FDJ but suddenly it is about Valverde.

Very good post. If people think as soon as a new manager comes in some of the clearly average players we have will suddenly go in to a phone box and turn in to Superman they are dreaaammminng.

JohnN

Very good post. If people think as soon as a new manager comes in some of the clearly average players we have will suddenly go in to a phone box and turn in to Superman they are dreaaammminng.

It is obvious we need an overhaul which should have started last season. But we go about splashing 200m every summer like we are only missing a piece of the puzzle.
Neymar not joining was a blessing, pure luck.

BBZ8800

People here live in insane illusions.
I have a feeling that they see a future in this way:
1. ANYONE comes as a new coach:
=> Barca starting to play beautiful, winning La Liga and turning into a CL contender again

I mean, look at our team:
Mats: usually good. But from time to time turns into a total disaster in big matches. If he has a bad day, you can be sure that a team will concede 3-4 in CL semis
Alba: unbelievably stupid player who declined a lot in recent years. The only thing left in him is pace and receiving Messi's passes. With the ball, his decisions are horrible. In defense he is 50:50.
Semedo: Zero.
Roberto RB: well, better than Semedo. Hot and cold. On some days, a very good player, on majority of nights: scared and useless in attack and horrible in defense.
Pique: once in 5 matches a World class CB. In 4 out of 5 matches, an old, drained, unmotivated defender.
Lenglet: an ok player. Not a world class, not a fastest guy. 7-8 out of 10 level at best.
Busi: not good in anything lately but to get the ball from the back at Camp Nou. Against any faster opponent, he is useless in attack and defense.
Rakitic: declined. He was never too good in build up for Barca's style. He can help in babysitting, but with him a team has problems in a build up.
Arthur: he can help in build up, but sucks (scared) in the attacking third and defending.
Frenkie: a good player.
Vidal: wild, unpredictable in anything he does.
Messi: still a GOAT, but past his prime.
Suarez: usually plays like a donkey. But scores a crazy golazo here and there. He was painful to watch yesterday.
Legolas: offers moments of brillianca and a lot of hard work, but in overall he probably won't succeed here.

Anyway, regarding a coach and our midfield/build up/defense.
Apart from EV's lack of tactical knowledge, look at this:
1. If Messi plays SOMEONE needs to babysit for him. That is a problem no1:
If you put a babysitter like Rakitic:
1) you have solved a problem of babysitting Messi, but you created another problem: Rakitic is meh in buildup and against pressing.
So: we solved one problem (babysitting for Messi), but created another problem (we can't get the ball out from the back).
2) another problem: Suarez. Someone needs to babysit for him also.
Now, when people want Arthur in a starting lineup:
1) you will again improve our build up. But since Arthur is horrible in defending, now you have: Messi who don't cover, Suarez who don't cover, Arthur who is bad at defending.
That means that a RB Roberto, pivot Busi and CM Frenkie need to do a defensive work for all these 3 players.
And what then happens?
Then Roberto often stays alone vs 2 players.
Or if Frenkie ventures into the attack, Busi gets alone vs 2-3 players and gets outplayed easily.
And then people say: Roberto is horrible in defending, or Busi is outran by anyone in defense.
Lol, of course.
But that is NOT ONLY due to individuals Busi and Roberto, but due to WHAT happened in the beginning of the actions, where we are already in a defensive deficit due to Messi, Suarez and even Arthur.

Then people say: Roberto sucks in defending, let's add Semedo.
Lol.
Now we have: Messi who doesn't defend, Suarez, Arthur.
Semedo is better in defending than Roberto, but totally braindead in attack.
And now, Messi has a donkey Suarez with horrible passing/first touch in the middle, Arthur who can't make a logical forward pass, Semedo who is braindead.
And since the opponents are not dumb, they are not marking Semedo and Arthur that heavily in attack since they suck=and what happens? then Messi is surrounded by 2-3-4 players all the time and can't do anything.
And then people say: EV is stupid, our system is static. Messi has to do everything by himself.
LOL.
Semedo can't do anything in attack. Arthur can't do anything in attack. Suarez is a donkey. Busi/Raki stay back. Frenkie can get the ball into an attacking 3rd, but then he is clueless also.
What is left for Messi? He can only pass to Legolas who can't run or dribble or pass to Alba who is braindead once when he receives a pass.

This is why I am saying that with different lineups: NONE is good.
The only option is: do you guys want to suck in build up or in defending?

So, here we go again, let's start with forum's favorite midfield:
Arthur-Frenkie plus someone.
If you put Frenkie as a pivot, he will venture into the attack: someone needs to cover for him.
Arthur can't cover for him since he can't defend.
That means that a 3rd guy needs to be Raki or Vidal. But Vidal needs to stay deep and cover and not venture.
Basically, the only option is Raki then.
And then people will whine again that Raki is static.
If you change Raki with let's say Alena: lol.
What about defending then?
Messi and Suarez need a babysitter.
If two CMs are Arthur and Alena, they are good only at pressing and suck at regular defending.
What then? Will a RB and Frenkie (who also loves to venture into the attack) cover for 4 players?
Imagine a new Anfield match and Frenkie covering for 4 players. Sounds promising, isn't it?

And this is only one problem.
I haven't even mention our meh attack, or a lack of pace.
What is the solution?
Let's start from the attack: we need to change Suarez.
With whom? We don't have a new guy yet.
If you change him with Griezz, he can't run or dribble. That won't work.
So, we need a new CF, and then we have solved one problem.
BUT still, someone will need to babysit for Messi who will run less and less in the future.
So, even if we change Suarez, we still need one Raki in a lineup to babysit for Messi.
The only option for Arthur-Frenkie-and a 3rd technical guy to work is: if we would sell/bench Messi and Suarez and have 3 allrounders in attack like Lautaro, Firmino, Salah etc.
So, in this moment, 3 technical midfielders can't work due to Messi and Suarez.
And Messi won't be sold in the near future, so that means that we will again need some sort of Raki until Messi is here.
Let's move further: 2023: Frenkie is a pivot, Arthur is a CM. Someone is the 3rd guy.
Since Arthur and Frenkie suck in the attacking 3rd, a 3rd CM needs to be more attacking oriented.
But then, since Arthur can't defend and Frenkie ventures into the attack, that SAME 3rd CM needs to be BOTH: a CAM who can create, and who can work in defense to cover for Arthur and venturing Frenkie.
Let's move further, that means that a RB will need to be a good defender also to cover for these guys.
But then, if a RB is a defender, and if we already have Arthur and Frenkie who are shit in the attacking 3rd, that leaves a huge burden on 3 attackers to create and score on their own, without too much help from a RB and midfield.

Our team is flawed on so many levels.
Some will say: but it worked under Pep.
Again:
RW young Messi: running and covering.
Today: granny Messi walking. 1 men less in defending. Less useful in buildup due to less movement without a ball.
CF: Villa. Running and covering, helps in build up.
Today: Suarez. 2 men less in defending. Ruins every attack in a build up.
Lw: Pedro. Running and covering. Helps in defense, moves well in the attack, creating space for other players.
Today: Griezz, works well in defense. Can't do shit in attack since he is slow and can't dribble and don't know our attacking patterns like Pedro.

So, in the attacking line:
All 3 players are weaker in build up and movement compared to Pep's team.
In defense, 2 out of 3 players are weaker in defense.

Let's move to midfield:
Xavi: good in defense. Goat in possession. Goat in creation.
Today we have Arthur. Shit in defending. Shit in creation in the attacking third.
Frenkie: allrounder, bad in the attacking 3rd.
3rd guy: I don't even know who is a 3rd guy? Raki, Busi, Vidal?
None of them are good in the attack. And let's say that they are okish in defense, but old and slow, so they are again weaker than Pep's team.

So, in total:
Attack:
All 3 players are weaker in a build up (compared to Pep's years).
2 players are weaker in defense.
Midfield:
All 3 players are weaker in a build up.
1,5 are weaker in defense.

For fun, let's add Alves vs Roberto/Semedo into maths.
I'll add Semedo, because then it will be more fun:
Alves in the attack: a GOAT.
Semedo: the worst RB in a history.
Defense: let's say that they are equal.

Now, attack+Midfield+RB:
In attack and build up: our current team is weaker on ALL 7 positions mentioned above compared to Pep's team from 2011 to which everyone are always comparing our teams.
In defense: we are weaker on 3,5 positions out of 7.

Now, a question: if we are way weaker on all 7 positions in build up... is it logical to expect a nice-flowing team in a build up?
And again, if you will add Arthur and Alena, you will only slightly improve a build up, and you will expose already horrible collective defending.

So, what is a solution?
= to turn the page and start from zero with younger and new players.
But that will only be possible AFTER Messi.
But then, the other question is: where will we get all the money for 10 new players? Since we are obssessed with Neymar currently.
Also, if a current board and sporting directors will stay on their positions, do you have faith that they will do a good job in building a new team?
Again, they are interested in Thiago and Neymar.

To some extent, this is why I don't dislike EV as other fans do.
And I can't understand ideas that we actually have a good and balanced team, lol.
It is shocking that we are actually fighting for titles with this old squad and so many flaws.

I have asked a similar question tons of times: [MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION], [MENTION=19457]KingLeo10[/MENTION] [MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION]
Guys, you are a coach from today. What would you do with this team?
1. bear in mind: 1 guy needs to babysit for Messi.
2 guys need to babysit for Messi-Suarez.
2. you need to add some pace, which only Dumbele can offer.
3. if you put too many babysitters, our build up will suck.
4. if you don't put ANY babyistters, we will lose 0:6 on any away match
5. who will cover for Roberto. And if you put Semedo, Messi will be even lonelier and even more sterile in attack against big teams in a CL.

So, a serious question, how would you make this team even semi-decent in terms of:
1. build up
2. defending
3. attacking 3rd
4. some pace
On top of that, remember that you need to rotate players.
If you will finally FIND a good lineup, any new player who will enter, will ruin all the balance which you have created in the starting 11.
And if you put Alena instead of Raki, that means that someone else need to cover in defense.
That means that you need to put Semedo.
That means that you are losing chemistry and that Messi is lonely in attack again.
If you go with Roberto, he will get tired after too many matches, and someone needs to babysit for him, which again CAN'T be Alena or Arthur, but someone like Raki.
And if you play Raki, our build up will suck, and Raki will be dead tired after 3-4 matches.
Then you will need to change Raki, but with WHOM?
A new guy won't babysit, you are losing defense and chemistry and you again need Semedo. And with Semedo, you are again killing Messi.

This is why I have said:
With our current team, the only option is:
1. do you want to suck in THIS way?
2. or do you want to suck in THAT way?

An option of a well balanced, nice flowing team lasting for longer than 45 minutes doesn't exist.

Now, please, give me some answer: how would you set a team?
And what will a new coach do, since he will have exactly the same problems for which there are NO solutions.
The best solution is to find=the least HORRIBLE starting 11.
And imo, EV is doing exactly that.
But that is not good enough for our fans, who grew up during Pep's years, since they are entitled and they want victories, domination and an orgasmic, beautiful eye pleasing football all the time.

Well, it won't happen.

Last edited:

JohnN

Now, please, give me some answer: how would you set a team?

- First and foremost, put Rakitic, Vidal, and Dembele for sale in the winter transfer window. Cash in while they still have some value, because they won't fetch us any money if we are too late with this.

At this point, you have got rid of players who offer little, are highly paid and complain a lot or have problematic behaviours.

- Get a decent midfielder with the received cash. Ericsen could be a decent midfielder at a good price.

At this point you have Athur, FDJ, Ericsen, Busquets, Alena, Puig (and Bob if need arises).
That is a decent mix of defenders, each of whom, has something to offer, and are mostly young, except Busi.

- Perma bench Suarez to oblivion. Use him as a super-sub only against tired legs. Griezmann or Messi take his position and interchange.
- Use Perez and Fati for the left wing. They are young, they are wingers, we have no better left winger than them, so do it.

At this point you have messi who doesn't press too much surrounded by two players who press like madmen. Also, you have messi closer to Griezmann to combine and a winger on the other side who makes runs behind defenses. We also get to throw Suarez against tired defenders in the last minutes to score one of his golazos. Win Win.

- Start playing Todibo and Wague in some matches, not together and mostly at home games.
- Give Lenglet / Pique some competition with Umtiti starting some games too.

At this point you have successfully mixed younger players with veterans. They might not be the best ever, but as a great man once said: "It is what it is".

That is my take on things.

Home of Barca Fans