Clement Lenglet (loaned to Aston Villa)

JohnN

Fair enough. 25M is the real value.

It's not even about him starting for us. Lenglet was bought as a rotation/reserve and found himself starting because of injuries. However bad his form was last season, doesn't mean we should give him away for 15M. By the same logic we might as well give away for free the likes of Coutinho, Dembele or Umtiti.

I understand it's really bad business to give them away for free but it's kind of appealing... Not having to see them in a Barca shirt again and getting rid of their wages. Tough call!!

malvolio

I understand it's really bad business to give them away for free but it's kind of appealing... Not having to see them in a Barca shirt again and getting rid of their wages. Tough call!!

don't think the numbers in accounting will add up if we offload for free. plus most clubs don't even want umtiti or coutinho for free since they have massive salaries.

if we buy a starter CB this summer, i guess we can take a hit on selling lenglet for 15M. otherwise we are left with old man pique, unproven glass boy araujo and unproven slow boy garcia. and a half dead umtiti resurrecting for 2-3 games a year, only to slowly jog on the field.

mc_lovin

don't think the numbers in accounting will add up if we offload for free. plus most clubs don't even want umtiti or coutinho for free since they have massive salaries.

if we buy a starter CB this summer, i guess we can take a hit on selling lenglet for 15M. otherwise we are left with old man pique, unproven glass boy araujo and unproven slow boy garcia. and a half dead umtiti resurrecting for 2-3 games a year, only to slowly jog on the field.

You forgot Mingueza ;-) Quantity is there. Quality is lacking. But Lenglet hardly makes a difference for the latter. Take the money and run.

malvolio

You forgot Mingueza ;-) Quantity is there. Quality is lacking. But Lenglet hardly makes a difference for the latter. Take the money and run.

mingueza is getafe level at best. not even a pure CB.

i don't mind us selling lenglet, but not on 15M. if those 15M are enough for us to buy another CB then good.

but just selling for the sake of selling, when mingueza/araujo/garcia are not yet better doesn't seem good business.

Messi983

Don't think quantity is there either. Maybe on paper but in reality not as much.

Pique - old and injury prone, should be his last season but he'll probably still start more games than he should
Araujo - injury prone
Oscar - ok but shouldn't be a starter imo
Garcia - we'll see how he'll do
Umtiti - we want to offload him as well but will have problems doing that.

We could very well find ourselves in a situation where we'll only have Oscar and Garcia available.

I'd try to offload Umtiti hard before even consider selling Lenglet (One of them is on lower wages and is always available to play, other is on higher wages and can't stay fit for 3 games). Especially if it will be a loan with a buy option which I'm sure is what Roma will try to do. We know Italian clubs by now. I doubt they even have 15m to pay upfront and I wouldn't sell Lenglet for that.

Not to say we wouldn't have a left-footed CB and Koeman wants at least one.

Now if we could somehow get Laporte (+more) for Griezmann then that's another story as he'd basically replace Lenglet and be an upgrade over him (though he's not without injury concerns) but that's very unlikely to happen. With no swaps I just don't see an option we could get another CB.

fergus90

I think the defense is a massive problem still, pretty much for all the reasons Messi983 listed above.

Ultimately it's tough to see our season being any different from the last two with the defence in its current shape, despite our forward line looking stronger.

Home of Barca Fans