Clement Lenglet (loaned to Aston Villa)

Saladin

Made some colossal mistakes on his debut with the NT and recovered, so it’s safe to say that he does.

I would rather see us spend 50-70 mil on De Ligt than 30 mil on Lenglet tbh. He has shown immense potential and would probably be okay with a bench role in the first season or two and build his confidence to hopefully challenge Pique for a spot in the starting lineup.

JamDav1982

I would rather see us spend 50-70 mil on De Ligt than 30 mil on Lenglet tbh. He has shown immense potential and would probably be okay with a bench role in the first season or two and build his confidence to hopefully challenge Pique for a spot in the starting lineup.

There is no way Barca should be spending 50-70m on a sub and I doubt De Ligt wants that either.

Saladin

There is no way Barca should be spending 50-70m on a sub and I doubt De Ligt wants that either.

You mean fees that, given the current market, is basically equal to signing the likes of Arda, Gomes, Paco? We wasted plenty of decent money on huge fuck-ups in the past, better to splurge for some true quality than half-assed support players.

The amount of money we have been throwing at garbage players is abysmal. Douglas, Deulofeu, Gomes, Arda, Paco, Vermaelen, Paulinho, Mina? We could have brought 2-3 WC players with a bit of sense and tenacity at the negotiating table for the amount we've shifted for players who have made almost zero impact on our team.

xXKonan

Solution for what? Backup? :lol:
MD says there's a debate in the club that Mina and Verm might not be be reliable enough and they are looking at Lenglet.

It seems the interest is real. Alfredo Martinez reported yesterday the club wants him.

Joan

He's only 22. Hmm.

But we'd have him, Verm and Umtiti, 3 left-footed footballers.

JamDav1982

You mean fees that, given the current market, is basically equal to signing the likes of Arda, Gomes, Paco? We wasted plenty of decent money on huge fuck-ups in the past, better to splurge for some true quality than half-assed support players.

The amount of money we have been throwing at garbage players is abysmal. Douglas, Deulofeu, Gomes, Arda, Paco, Vermaelen, Paulinho, Mina? We could have brought 2-3 WC players with a bit of sense and tenacity at the negotiating table for the amount we've shifted for players who have made almost zero impact on our team.

Terrible argument if best can come up with is should pay up to 70m for a sub on basis of other expensive and poor players.

Likes of Paco, Paulinho and Verm have not have been 'garbage' players either.

Barca should not be paying up to 70m for a sub and De Ligt wont move to be on bench anyway. So poor suggestion all round.

Last edited:

Messi983

That's not a problem since Verm wont be here much longer. 1 year max. Next year we can go for De Ligt who is right footed. :)

This would be ideal as I think De Ligt would benefit of staying at Ajax for another season but he's decided to leave this summer.

Lenglet would be an upgrade over Vermaelen (at least he's not that injury prone) and a good competition for Umtiti but I doubt he wants to come here knowing that he wouldn't have a guaranteed spot as a starter (though RM is apparently also interested in him and he would get into a similar situation there with two established starters ahead).

Another thing is I don't know if he and Umtiti could play together as they are both left-footed and right now I think we need someone that would push for Pique's spot more (though having a good competion for Umtiti also wouldn't be bad as he could easily also become complacent in time). Don't know if De Ligt could be that guy for another season or two. He's talented and could be Pique's longterm replacement but would still need time to adapt to bigger club. And well, taking minues away from Pique will be hard for anyone just because of who he is. Shouldn't be that way but we know it is.

Joan

This would be ideal as I think De Ligt would benefit of staying at Ajax for another season but he's decided to leave this summer.

Lenglet would be an upgrade over Vermaelen (at least he's not that injury prone) and a good competition for Umtiti but I doubt he wants to come here knowing that he wouldn't have a guaranteed spot as a starter (though RM is apparently also interested in him and he would get into a similar situation there with two established starters ahead).

Another thing is I don't know if he and Umtiti could play together as they are both left-footed and right now I think we need someone that would push for Pique's spot more (though having a good competion for Umtiti also wouldn't be bad as he could easily also become complacent in time). Don't know if De Ligt could be that guy for another season or two. He's talented and could be Pique's longterm replacement but would still need time to adapt to bigger club. And well, taking minues away from Pique will be hard for anyone just because of who he is. Shouldn't be that way but we know it is.

True.

De Ligt might be superior talent, but I wouldn't buy him this summer. I liked Yeray Alvarez last year, but got cancer and hasn't played much this season. There is also Unai Nunez who is also right-footed. Wouldn't mind any of them.

Saladin

Terrible argument if best can come up with is should pay up to 70m for a sub on basis of other expensive and poor players.

Likes of Paco, Paulinho and Verm have not have been 'garbage' players either.

Barca should not be paying up to 70m for a sub and De Ligt wont move to be on bench anyway. So poor suggestion all round.

You keep saying sub, like you're ordering a sandwich. Sub, sub. The guy is 18 years old, Pique is 31 as we speak. Being a substitute player for a season, bridging the gap and getting integrated into the first team is standard procedure for nearly all newcomers. The suggestion is flawless, but obviously your complete lack of cognitive skills and foresight blinds your already meagre understanding of the premis for my argument.

Vermaelen was a 'garbage' signing, due to his ridiculous history with injuries; we even signed him when he was injured. And where is he today? Oh year, injured. He is a decent player when not injured, which is like saying 'JamDav is intelligent, when not spewing negative, blatantly arrogant dismissals of other's opinions right and left' - Meaning 9.2 % of the time.

Paco is GREAT in those 2 games per year he gets. Paulinho was the only player on the list who has been somewhat succesful, due to a high amounts of goals; but he is turning 31 and in no way a 'STELLAR' signing for 40 mil. euros.

Lastly, we won't buy a sub for 70 mil. euros, dude WTF are you smoking? Apparently we just bought a sub for twice that amount in Dembélé. Zero of your lazy arguments holds water. FACT

Porque

I dont think Lenglet is the best solution but he fits Valverde's criteria of LaLiga experience.

Decent price admittedly.

Home of Barca Fans