Clement Lenglet (loaned to Aston Villa)

xXKonan

Out of all the players we played at CB this season he's been the worst of them all by a good distance.

Even a one-legged Umtiti that came on for him looked far more assured than this guy did. If Koeman wants to send a message to this guy, don't bother playing him simple as that because it Feels like he's behind most of the catastrophic mistakes we make every god damn game.

Last edited:

serghei

Out of all the players we played at CB this season he's been the worst of them all by a good distance.

Even a one-legged Umtiti that came on for him looked far more assured than this guy did. If Koeman wants to send a message to this guy, don't bother playing him simple as that because it Feels like he's behind most of the catastrophic mistakes we make every god damn game.

Yea, totally on board. I don't care if you bring another Barca B CB, and play the whole Barca B central defense pairing, just don't play Lenglet for a few games at least. Enough is enough.

JerseyAddict

This guy should be taught a lesson. Don't piss on your own club. These are not just errors. These are piss on the club. They came from pure shitform and "comfort" of beeing irreplacable CB for solid wage

Send him to B team and bring some kids. They. Will at least die on the ground. Lenglet only can shoot our own. What he did.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
He's been calamitous for ages... Play Umtiti or a traffic cone, I don't care as long as this idiot never wears our shirt again...

Andresito

Staff member
Pique-Lenglet is like the Puyol-Pique partnership in terms of leader-student.

Pique without Puyol is mostly a clown, but he's still Lenglet's leader which makes Lenglet the biggest clown of all.

If we then expect Lenglet to lead Araujo or Mingueza, it won't end well.

Alik

Agreed with the sentiments here.

We have enough problems in this team without having to worry about his blunders.

Messi983

This guy should be taught a lesson. Don't piss on your own club. These are not just errors. These are piss on the club. They came from pure shitform and "comfort" of beeing irreplacable CB for solid wage

Send him to B team and bring some kids. They. Will at least die on the ground. Lenglet only can shoot our own. What he did.

Nah, don't see it like this. It's not like he does these mistakes intentionally to hurt the club. He's just in a very poor form but he's still a good player. He has physical limitations but those mistakes he's doing recently are mental errors which are preventable and he should work on that.

I see those mistakes as a pressure being put on him as a supposed leader of the defense after Pique's injury. Which is something he's not capable of being but I'm sure he would look much better having a true leader and a more athletic CB (who could compensate for his lack of speed) alongside him. Ideally he would be a 3rd CB which is a role he was bought for but had to become regular after Umtiti's career went downhill. But in our current situation there is just no way we can bring two starting quality CBs next summer. We'll probable even struggle to get one.

Another thing we shouldn't forget is how important chemistry and understanding between both CBs is for a stability of the defense. And it takes a lot of time to build that. Now obviously Lenglet and Pique shouldn't play together anymore (they shouldn't before Pique's injury and after he'll return in who knows what state even less so but Pique is the one between them who should be replaced first) because they are both too slow but at least they've played a lot of games together and as much criticism as they've got they've still looked better than anything we can put out there right now. You can't just expect two players who have never played before at that important position to gel from the first moment. Especially if you're playing someone like FDJ outside of his best position and inexperienced kids.

So I think our main problems defensively are lack of the leadership* in defense (though not just there but in a whole team really) and our CBs not having any chemistry which is understandable.

* Varane is a similar example and some people considered him as one of the best CBs just a few years ago. He's obviously much more athletic than Lenglet but he's also in very poor form and has especially struggled in most games playing without Ramos's leadership besides him. You either are a leader or you're not. Lenglet is clearly not so we shouldn't expect him to become one over night when put in that position. But I think he can still be useful if paired with someone to lead him and the rest of defense (or better a whole team) next year. Now who a player we could bring to provide that could be I have no idea but hopefully we can find one.

Messi983

Should look for Ozan Kabak(20). he is tall,athletic,fast,physical.

He's not my prefered CB target but I like him. Could be worth a look, especially with Schalke struggling. They could even be relegated so he could be available for cheap next summer if they won't already sell him in January. There were rumours Klopp is looking at him so that's probably a good sign.

Home of Barca Fans