Arthur

fergus90

I?d prefer Ilaix now but Arthur also started well in his Barca career before he regressed rather than developed.

Way too early to predict Ilaix fate, but he?s under the right manager to help him develop.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not a fan of Arthur, but he's probably still a better player than Ilaix. People prefer his potential.

Edit: Ilaix's potential.

Different type of players. Ilaix is great at driving forward with the ball using his physicality and dribbling to get past players.

Arthur is good at recycling possession, but doing just that isn't enough.

Messigician

Are you still living in 60s of the last century when Brasil was an ultimate world's force?
I mean, Paulinho is a starter for Brasil currently, lol.
So, yeah, Rakitic would play in a current Brasil if they have Paulinho as a starter.

Btw, as someone from Croatia, Rakitic was for years my favorite NT player because he was able to play awesome aged 20, 22, 23, 24 and similar.
He rarely played bad in those early years and he was consistent, unlike for example Modric, who was always extremely hot and cold in an NT team.

I posted a friendly match from 2008 in my last post.
Fine, try this, Euro 2008, Croatia:Germany.
Rakitic was a 20 year old kid back then.
In that match, I remember thinking: wow, this kid will be awesome.
he played very calmly and awesome against mighty Germany.
Again, he was a 20 year old kid.

My point in general is: Rakitic played as a starter at Euros and world cups aged 20.
And he was one of the best players for Croatia back then.
And YET, after 10 years in big clubs, he is STILL considered as an average player for Barca.

But then, people expect Alena, who played only in a 2nd division, and Arthur from a Brasilian league, both with zero experience, to outclass Rakitic.
Btw, I don't think that Rakitic is THAT good for Barca's level.
But I am finding majority of this romantic estimations as beyond crazy.

So, Rakitic:
1. looked awesome aged 20
2. played at Euros and Wcs from the age 20
3. 10 years experience in Europe
= still not good for Barca

Alena/Arthur:
1. 5 and 0 matches in a 1st division
2. zero NT matches for now
3. zero WC/Euros experience for now
= people expect them to be starters in a year or two.
But hey, they have "technical" potential, that is all what matters, right?

I mean, seriously, guys, wtf?
I know that we are sad, desperate and that we all want new kids to appear out of nowhere, but these ideas are really crazy.

And the craziest one out of all: Arthur will bench Raki after 10 matches in Europe.
While in reality, what will happen?
= we will still play with Busi and Raki even in 2020. They will suck, but new kids will suck 10 times more, as always.

Real also won CLs in 60's. They are "irrelevant" in a current era.
But we shit on those titles, just sayin...

My GOAT

Rassvet

I thought he's been injured or somethin but he's actually just been an unused sub the last few weeks. Juve are having a catastrophic season with midfield being their weakest link and Arthur cant even get off the bench...

Porque

I thought he's been injured or somethin but he's actually just been an unused sub the last few weeks. Juve are having a catastrophic season with midfield being their weakest link and Arthur cant even get off the bench...

What Is the Puig Effect?

The Puig Effect refers to a situation in which a large mass of people believes that a sports man should play more than the manager plays them, resulting in the belief that the manager has a vendetta against said player. Looking at the origin of the Puig effect, some famous examples, as well as some potential explanations for this strange confluence of perceptions can help to shed light on this unique phenomenon.

Origins of the Puig Effect
The term "Puig Effect" began when it was first coined in 2020 by Barcaforum when they published posts about Ronald Koeman and Riqui Puig detailing the observance of the phenomenon. Barcaforum were talking with other posters about how Koeman is overplaying Pedri and refusing to play Riqui Puig despite how will he performed when starting matches and in 5 minute cameos.

As Barcaforun began to talk to eachother about their memories, they learned that they was not alone. Others remembered seeing match coverage Riqui Puig being ignored.

Barcaforum was shocked that such a large mass of people could remember the same identical event in such detail. Encouraged by this, Barcaforum began to discuss what they called the Puig Effect and other incidents like it.

Notable Examples
The story of Riqui Puig is not the only example of this type of group memory. As the concept of the Puig Effect grew, other group memories began to emerge.

The farmer and the Puig
People had a memory of Riqui Puig playing fantastic against Atletico Madrid in 2019/2020. After this game Riqui Puig was benched by Quique Setien and completely isolated from the Champions League knockout games, including a 8-2 loss versus Bayern Munich

It is what it is, Malcom is what is not
If you watched Malcom versus Real Madrid in Copa Del Rey 2018/2019, you probably remember a magical performance. You may be shocked to learn, then, that Malcom was permanently benched after this game. Malcom was eventually sold to Zenit St Petersburg where he is enjoying the Russian weather.

Bow to thy King Arthur
There is some controversy over why Arthur never started versus Liverpool in the 2018/2019 Champions League. Some people claim that Arthur was the second coming of Xavi and not playing him was the reason Barcelona were knocked out. Arthur was eventually permanently benched.

Last edited:

Rassvet

My original comment literally had nothing to do with Puig, so I'm not sure how it's triggered you into starting some apparently multi-part essay on Puig :lol:

Porque

My original comment literally had nothing to do with Puig, so I'm not sure how it's triggered you into starting some apparently multi-part essay on Puig :lol:

Arthur being benched in Juventus is another example of the Puig Effect in world football.

vegitot

What Is the Puig Effect?

The Puig Effect refers to a situation in which a large mass of people believes that a sports man should play more than the manager plays them, resulting in the belief that the manager has a vendetta against said player. Looking at the origin of the Puig effect, some famous examples, as well as some potential explanations for this strange confluence of perceptions can help to shed light on this unique phenomenon.

Origins of the Puig Effect
The term "Puig Effect" began when it was first coined in 2020 by Barcaforum when they published posts about Ronald Koeman and Riqui Puig detailing the observance of the phenomenon. Barcaforum were talking with other posters about how Koeman is overplaying Pedri and refusing to play Riqui Puig despite how will he performed when starting matches and in 5 minute cameos.

As Barcaforun began to talk to eachother about their memories, they learned that they was not alone. Others remembered seeing match coverage Riqui Puig being ignored.

Barcaforum was shocked that such a large mass of people could remember the same identical event in such detail. Encouraged by this, Barcaforum began to discuss what they called the Puig Effect and other incidents like it.

Notable Examples
The story of Riqui Puig is not the only example of this type of group memory. As the concept of the Puig Effect grew, other group memories began to emerge.

The farmer and the Puig
People had a memory of Riqui Puig playing fantastic against Atletico Madrid in 2019/2020. After this game Riqui Puig was benched by Quique Setien and completely isolated from the Champions League knockout games, including a 8-2 loss versus Bayern Munich

It is what it is, Malcom is what is not
If you watched Malcom versus Real Madrid in Copa Del Rey 2018/2019, you probably remember a magical performance. You may be shocked to learn, then, that Malcom was permanently benched after this game. Malcom was eventually sold to Zenit St Petersburg where he is enjoying the Russian weather.

Bow to thy King Arthur
There is some controversy over why Arthur never started versus Liverpool in the 2018/2019 Champions League. Some people claim that Arthur was the second coming of Xavi and not playing him was the reason Barcelona were knocked out. Arthur was eventually permanently benched.

Please continue.

Rassvet

Not every coach is as fair and rational as Valverde. There are also those like Koeman or post 2012 Mourinho who are almost more known for their agendas against certain players than anything else.

Porque

Please continue.

Possible Explanations of the Puig Effect
So why would this effect even happen? Let's explore.

Alternate Realities
One theory about the basis for the Puig effect originates from quantum physics and relates to the idea that rather than one timeline of events, it is possible that alternate realities or universes are taking place and mixing with our timeline. In theory, this would result in groups of people having the same memories because the timeline has been altered as we shift between these different realities.

You aren't alone if you think this sounds a little unrealistic. Unfortunately, the idea of alternate realities is unfalsifiable, meaning that there is no way to truly*disprove that these other universes*don’t*exist.

This is why such a far-fetched theory continues to gain traction among the Puig effect communities. You can't prove it's not real, so you can't totally discount the possibility of it. For many people, the excitement of a bit of mystery to everyday life also likely comes into play. In an alternative reality Puig may indeed be a top 5 midfielder in the world.

False Memories
A more likely explanation for the Puig effect involves false memories. Before we consider what is meant by false memories, let's look at an example of the Puig effect as it will help us to understand how memory can be faulty (and may lead to the phenomenon that we are describing).

Why didn’t Tito Vilanova play Thiago Alcantara? Most Barca fans believed that Thiago would be the successor of Xavi and Iniesta. However, when the opportunity came for his breakthrough then Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova never played him. Why?

If we consider a simple neuroscience explanation, the memory for Thiago Alcantara is encoded in an area of the brain where the memories for Barcelona DNA midfielders are stored. The*means by which memory traces are stored*is called the engram and the framework in which similar memories are*associated*with each other is called the schema.

So when people try to recall Thiago, this sets off the neurons*in close connection to each other, bringing with it the memory of Barcelona DNA and not being given his chance. (Though this is an oversimplified explanation, it illustrates the general process.)

When memories are recalled, rather than remembered perfectly, they are influenced to the point that they can eventually become incorrect. In this way, memory is unreliable and not infallible. In reality, Thiago didn’t play not because the manager didn’t believe in him, but because he was injured for much of the season.

Memory-Related Concepts
This leads to the likelihood that problems with memory, and not alternate universes, are the explanation for the Puig effect. In fact, there are a number of subtopics related to memory that may play a role in this phenomenon.

Here are a few possibilities to consider:

* Confabulation: Confabulation involves your brain filling in gaps that are missing in your memories to make more sense of them. This isn't lying, but rather remembering details that never happened. Confabulation tends to increase with age.
* Post-event information: Information that you learn after an event can change your memory of an event. This includes event subtle information and helps to explain why the eye test in football can be unreliable.
* Priming: Priming describes the factors leading up to an event that affects our perception of it. Also called suggestibility and presupposition, priming is the difference between asking how short a person is, versus how tall a person is. Saying, "Did you see the impact Puig made when he come on?" instead of “…Puig’s substitution?” makes a subtle suggestion that influences response and memory.

In essence, memories are vulnerable bits of information stored in the brain that can be changed over time. While we assume that our memories are accurate, this is not necessarily the case.

Part III: Final Part to be posted tonight.

Gnidrologist

There has already been article posted in Mavericky thread that explains the "Puig effect" better than anything this forums smartasses ever speculated and it's backed up with actual analysis and stats. Stop wasting your time and trying too hard, buffoon. :lol:

Home of Barca Fans