African Football

JamDav1982

If Messi failed to win with that Egypt team the same folk be tripping over themselves to point out his team mates and who they play for compared to Senegal team.

African Nations is not going to decide much for balondor.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Said it in the Messi thread and will say it here - Salah is not Ballon D'or material. For me he's not that special of a player to win it.

Sure, a very good player most of the time. But not Ballon worthy

If you compare Salah with peak Messi or Ronaldo then yes, if you compare him with the current players in the world then imo he has been top3 this season. Anyways, its a long way and too early to speak about ballon dor.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

This thing where the star player takes the last penalty has to be dumbest thing I have seen. Egypt had 2 pen shootouts and Salah didn't take a single one

this + never understood why the last player who shoot the pen feel like the star, he has just shoot/scored it like the guys before him. Not comparable with a last minute goal.

khaled_a_d

Still, 2 goals + 1 assist is hardly impressive for Salah, even if his teammates aren't the best.

We scored 4 goals in the whole tournament, so 2 goals and 1 assist is massive.
We conceded only 2 goals, we are the most defensive side among African big teams which is the reason we are great in African Cup and a failure in World Cup qualifications.
We lacked a playmaker in past 3 years (we always had a great one for this level, since I started watching the game in 1997) and this hurt us massively.

But I was told that Salah is a humble, hard working player.

He is, and was a good leader in this tournament for the 1st time in his career.
He isn't even our best penalty taker tbh, shouldn't have went for any of first 3 penalties, but should have shot the 4th one.

This thing where the star player takes the last penalty has to be dumbest thing I have seen. Egypt had 2 pen shootouts and Salah didn't take a single one

Arrogance by coaches tbh.
Everyone knows that shooting first is massive advantage, Egypt won the draw against Ivory Coast and Senegal and both times we choose to shoot 2nd. :banghead:
Why? because we believe our GK will surely save a penalty.
Now when it didn't work that way, we paid for it.

khaled_a_d

Congratulation to Senegal, they have one of the most stacked teams Africa has ever seen tbh.
Easy road to the final, but they are the best team and deserved to win tonight, they have been a strong opponent for 20 years and it was about time they finally win it.
Always makes things easier when you know that you are the underdog before the game and know that you have already overachieved.

Despite Salah stardom, it is actually one of the worst generations Egypt has seen, and they have qualified to WC (our Achilles heel) and reached 2 finals of African cup. Not bad tbh

Only disappointing thing is that we will have to face Senegal in qualification, and they are the only team we barely have a chance against.

Rassvet

[BBC Sport] Sadio Mane: “It’s the best day of my life and the best trophy [AFCON] of my life. I won the Champions League and some [other] trophies but this is the special one for me. This is more important for me. “

Home of Barca Fans