Paulinho

Zuti

If we manage to get Dembele and Coutinho most people will get over the Paulinho signing pretty quick.

We coul have had Seri, younger, cheaper, better fit...i can't get over this, it just doesn't make any sense.

vlad

Still not convinced about Coutinho and Dembele tbh. I have this feeling that Dortmund will simply release a statement saying they won't let Dembele go, and I still can't see Klopp letting Coutinho go. Fingers crossed though. I wouldn't even be too mad about signing Paulinho anymore (although obviously Seri would have been miles better).

Sorry but this is such a wrong way of thinking, basicaly you are saying sign who ever you want just bring main targets, even if this mean another dead wage player, less playing time for youngsers, and probably selling one of them, on a long terms things are looking very bad, i just hope socios will not vote again for this destroyer of a club

Iarwain

Why is this transfer triggering people so much? Let's put aside Bartomeu - Adelte Group shenanigans until we see elaborate evidence for it and look at this from strictly football position:

1. 40m€ isn't anywhere near top money in todays market. You may not like the direction where modern football is going, but now 30-40 m is what top clubs pay for squad players (not elite stars). In 2008. it was 15m paid for Keita, in 2017. you splash 40m on Paulinho to fill in the same role.

2. Barca does lack that particular skillset in its roster now. An agile, box-to-box tireless runner capable of physically harrassing opponents 90 mins (Rakitić is as close as you have and he really isn't intimidating as a defender) and Paulinho already proved he certainly can deliver great performances (anyone remember how he RAVAGED Iniesta in Confederations Cup final 2013?). He's not a flashy player for sure, but he could end up being Barca's Casemiro yet.

Paulinho won't define Barca's business in this transfer window, but rather what will be done/not done with Neymar money to deal with LW/AM situation (that's where an absolutely top class elite player is expected). So chill out and wait to see how this transfer window unfolds.

Zuti

Why is this transfer triggering people so much? Let's put aside Bartomeu - Adelte Group shenanigans until we see elaborate evidence for it and look at this from strictly football position:

1. 40m€ isn't anywhere near top money in todays market. You may not like the direction where modern football is going, but now 30-40 m is what top clubs pay for squad players (not elite stars). In 2008. it was 15m paid for Keita, in 2017. you splash 40m on Paulinho to fill in the same role.

2. Barca does lack that particular skillset in its roster now. An agile, box-to-box tireless runner capable of physically harrassing opponents 90 mins (Rakitić is as close as you have and he really isn't intimidating as a defender) and Paulinho already proved he certainly can deliver great performances (anyone remember how he RAVAGED Iniesta in Confederations Cup final 2013?). He's not a flashy player for sure, but he could end up being Barca's Casemiro yet.

Paulinho won't define Barca's business in this transfer window, but rather what will be done/not done with Neymar money to deal with LW/AM situation (that's where an absolutely top class elite player is expected). So chill out and wait to see how this transfer window unfolds.

Why is it triggering people?

- midfield problems for a few years now, no WC signing
- 13.08, signed Semedo and Deolofeu,
- First signing after Neymar departure, is Paulinho
- 29 years old, will get a 4 or 5 year contract
- 40m for a player from chinese league, while Seri would cost less and is younger

If this signing happened after Coutinho and Dembele were signed, the outrage wouldn't be as big, but in this very moment this transfer deserves outrage and frustration.
We don't know if either of Coutinho and Dembele will happen, let alone both. Now imagine cashing in 222m and getting to 31.08 with the biggest signing beeing freaking Paulinho, or even worse, panic signing Di Maria in the end.

Last edited:

God Serena

We got Rakitic for less than 20m and we paid 25m for Umtiti. Both players are MUCH better and younger than Paulinho, who is 30 years old and costs 40m. So yeah, this is BS.

His only spell spent in Europe is widely regarded as a massive flop. His "Skillset" is useless to us because he's nowhere near Barca quality.

Him coming potentially disrupts players already in our squad, or hoping to break into it, so even if he was coming for free, it'd still be a pretty big problem.

Co0ter

Mate, we got Paco, Gomes and Paulinho now. That's 110 mil. thrown on nothing in last year.

Yea it's quite depressing, we had an amazing team when Lucho took over. We've wasted a ridiculous amount of money on players we didn't need. The first transfer window was decent, Rakitic for a good price, Suarez, Ter Stegen for a good price. Then everything after that was total and utter shit. Instead of spending hundreds of millions on garbage, we should of bought 2-3 world class players to play the positions where we needed it and used La Masia to save money on backups. Grimaldo as LB vs Digne, world class CM with Roberto also as CM vs Arda/Gomes (120mil right there between those three).

This board is full of criminals only with self interest on their mind. If you think otherwise then you are either naive or just plan stupid. It's all there clearly, right infront of you, for all to see.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

He has no skillset. We could have bought someone like Matic or Fabinho if we wanted a powerful B2B midfielder. This is corruption or even worse pure incompetence on part of the board. Paulinho makes despacito Gomes look like Cruyff. He is garbage and old too. Signed on a five year contract too. So instead of removing the dead wood we've just added to it.

Iarwain

We got Rakitic for less than 20m and we paid 25m for Umtiti.

Rakitić was 20m in his LAST year of contract. 20m for one year contract isn't cheap (Madrid got Kroos and Ozil cheaper who were also in their last year).

Both players are MUCH better and younger than Paulinho

That's your subjective feel. I wouldn't compare players having different functions in a team (Umtiti), and I'm nowhere near convinced Rakitić is at all superior as a defender/runner/physical presence than Paulinho. He does beat him in passing/vision/offensive brain department, but I don't believe that's what Paulinho is here to fill in.

who is 30 years old and costs 40m. So yeah, this is BS.

He had 29th birthday few weeks ago, there's no need to be dishonest and round it up at 30. You can articulate your position on him as a player well without resorting to this.

His only spell spent in Europe is widely regarded as a massive flop.
Not really, he was rather good in his first season in Tottenham.

His "Skillset" is useless to us because he's nowhere near Barca quality.
Your subjective perspective, again. I believe over the course of 50-60 games of a season, his skillset can find it's use.

Raki13

He was a donkey at Tottenham even in his first year , and the fans detested him. Amazes me that some experts on here are defending this ridiculous signing.

Ronaldinho10

Rakitić was 20m in his LAST year of contract. 20m for one year contract isn't cheap (Madrid got Kroos and Ozil cheaper who were also in their last year).

That's your subjective feel. I wouldn't compare players having different functions in a team (Umtiti), and I'm nowhere near convinced Rakitić is at all superior as a defender/runner/physical presence than Paulinho. He does beat him in passing/vision/offensive brain department, but I don't believe that's what Paulinho is here to fill in.

He had 29th birthday few weeks ago, there's no need to be dishonest and round it up at 30. You can articulate your position on him as a player well without resorting to this.

Not really, he was rather good in his first season in Tottenham.

Your subjective perspective, again. I believe over the course of 50-60 games of a season, his skillset can find it's use.

We didnt need him to come at all and everyone knows it. The only reason he was signed was our pathetic board panicking again and rushing to sign so everyone will see that players still want to sign for barca he is nothing more then an average plus player and if they wanted to sign him so bad why for 40M euros? Having one good season in the chinese league doesn't mean ur suddently a good player if u weren't one up to this point.

Home of Barca Fans