Kylian Mbappé

Newcomer

I agree Balon D'or has lost its actual purpose, winning it depends on CL success rather than overall player accomplishments. But you have media, fans, journalists discuss it & no one thinks Neymar is living to his potential.

But still, Messi and Ronaldo clearly deserve the recognition they get, irrespective of the individual awards. They have had unprecedented level of top performance consistently, for nearly a decade.

Neymar is a very good player, but nowhere near to those two. At 27, both of them were dominating the world, while Neymar is lost in Ligue 1. Now, even Mbappe is challenging him, so he isn't even the undisputed best in PSG squad.

He hasn't won anything notable, neither personal, nor for the club. He is definitely exceptionally marketable, no doubt, but its sports, your sporting accomplishments decide how good of a sports person are you. Commercial success is important but when it comes to sporting success, he hasn't achieved anything, call it bad luck, call it inconsistancy, call it whatever you want.

And, I have no problems in general, if you think Neymar's antics are justified. He is a PSG player, and if PSG fans are ok with it, good for them. I just felt it was unfair in general and argued against it.

Yeah Messi and Ronaldo have dominated the sport to the point it is considered their era.

However, Neymar is not lost. Neymar is comfortably the best player in PSG. Mbappé is nowhere near the level to challenge him. The only people thinking this are the people that don't actually watch the games.
Even Mbappé aknowledge the fact Neymar is superior. Neymar, despite his injury last year, was voted best player in the league. He has been very consistent at PSG and the core of their success on the field most of the time. He had some bad (for his standard) games at the start of the season where he was clearly unfit, as he was during the world cup, though.
I don't like the fact he is asking for raise after just one year, especially because he is by far the best paid player in the squad and in France. Nevertheless, it is how it works now to keep your player happy (remember all those great sadness by CR7).

As long as the club agree with it, and they seem to do, i'm ok with it. And well, technically, he is the new global ambassador for QNB. Nothing to do with PSG, wink wink !

KingLeo10

[youtube]iKQpqoiA-yk[/youtube]

No one under the age of 20 compares to the complete package that R9 was at that age. Messi hit a higher peak in the Guardiola era and 14/15 but other than that, you only have fleeting periods such as Maradona's WC or Platini's Euros that come anywhere close.

It's actually a shame people will most likely remember CR7 as the greater Ronaldo. Career and trophy wise it's not an argument but I would take pre knee injury R9 over CR7 10 times out of 10.

Mbappe doesn't even belong in the same sentence.

I will say, however, that Mbappe is definitely world class at the moment and top 1/2 young talent in the world. But it's not so easy to be a historical giant. Cesc was precocious too but didn't turn out better than Xavi for instance.

Last edited:

Morten

World champion at 19 says otherwise. Stop trying to downplay his achievements because his name isn't Messi or Ronaldo.

Many players have won big things, some of them weren't world beaters, just letting you know.
Kylian is a special talent, ofc, not disputing that.

Jair Ventura

Many players have won big things, some of them weren't world beaters, just letting you know.
Kylian is a special talent, ofc, not disputing that.

No, many players have not been key members of world cup winning teams as a teenager. Only Pelé and Mbappé. Just letting you know.

Morten

You apparently can't keep track of your own comments, as I specifically contradicted this statement.

Nope, using throphies as a way to measure talent isnt the way to go, my point remains the same.
He had a good world cup though, but lets not go into full fanboy-mode here, he also had a very talented team behind him.

Jair Ventura

Nope, using throphies as a way to measure talent isnt the way to go, my point remains the same.

What kind of nonsense is this? You don't become a GOAT by bullying Girona or Empoli, but by winning premier competitions like the WC and UCL.

He had a good world cup though, but lets not go into full fanboy-mode here, he also had a very talented team behind him.

He didn't have a "good world cup", he had an historic world cup. One only replicated by Pelé in the history of the competition.

Going full fanboy would be you trying to downplay Kylian's accomplishments because he's threat to your favorite player.

Morten

What kind of nonsense is this? You don't become a GOAT by bullying Girona or Empoli, but by winning premier competitions like the WC and UCL.

He didn't have a "good world cup", he had an historic world cup. One only replicated by Pelé in the history of the competition.

Going full fanboy would be you trying to downplay Kylian's accomplishments because he's threat to your favorite player.

You dont become "GOAT" by winning anything in particular, consistency at the highest level is a better indication, in my opinion.
Mbappe is young, so he will likely only improve in that aspect.
I dont downplay Mbappes talent, btw, clearly the best attacker in his generation, and no, i dont feel "threatened".
Fanboyism isnt really my thing, if Mbappe is better than all our attackers, then so be it.

Home of Barca Fans