Luis Suárez

Mateka

I am delighted the way Atletico have appreciated me and given me the chance to keep showing I can perform on this stage. I thank them for trusting in me. A lot of people have suffered with me, my wife, my children.

"I have been playing football for many years and this is the year my family and I have suffered the most. It is an amazing feeling to have performed on the final day of the season."
Suarez. Reported by BBC

Bobo32

We lost also title in 2014 when we gave Villa to Atletico :crbust:

I don't remember the details behind the transfer, was this after his broken leg?
Villa was the perfect player for LW though and I am sure it was premature, even if I don't remember being as critical about getting rid of him as I was with Alves or Xavi f.e (Xavi should've quit when he wanted and it might've been that year, but he should've played a lot more in his final year)

Now most users here are SCREAMING to get rid of Busquets, Alba, Pique, some even for Messi - as they surely did last year with Suarez...

BBZ8800

bilbao 0-1

osasuna 2-2

dortmund 0-0

granada 0-2

levante 1-3

prag 0-0

sociedad 2-2

Real 0-0

Espanyol 2-2

Atletico 2-3

Valverde exit. You could clearly see that the team lost the stabilty from the first two seasons of Valverde. The Anfield crash has left his traces.

Iirc, at the beginning of that season:
Both Messi and Suarez were injured.
Suarez got injured in the first match against Bilbao.

Coutinho was loaned, iirc.
And so we had to play with a new guy Griezmann, kid Fati, new guy Frenkie etc.

And we lost a few points and started a season badly.
Since we were tied with Real when EV left, it means that we would have probably won a title with those 5-6 extra points without Messi-Suarez.

Just checked those stats:
Bilbao 1:0
Midfield: Frenkie, Roberto, Alena, attack Suarez, Griezz, Dembele
Suarez got injured.

Osasuna 2:2
Busi, Frenkie, Roberto, Rafinha - Griezz, Carles Perez

Granada 2:0
Suarez, Griezz, Carles Perez attack

Of course, our game was weaker each new season under EV and we had tons of other bad results during season, like vs Espanyol or Prague.
But still, without injured Messi, Suarez, Dembele in the early rounds (paired with loaned Coutinho), we would have probably won the third title in a row.

BBZ8800

He stays = RM wins La Liga

We sell him = RM loses La Liga

Seems to me like selling him was the correct decision

Personally, I don't get this hapiness from some of our fans, as if Atletico winning instead of Real is good.

I mean, I get it, it is slightly less bad.
But at the end of the day:
1. we finished last out of 3 big clubs in La Liga
2. we were KO'd in the round of 16 in a CL with 2:5
3. we didn't win any of big matches. The only win was against Juve who barely finished 4th in Seria A.
4. we played very bad, slow, sterile and predictable football

So, RM didn't win anything, but we had one very horrible season at the end of the day.
Plus, Messi is getting older, we have no money = not too much to be hopeful about for the next season.

Horatio

You're welcome
Personally, I don't get this hapiness from some of our fans, as if Atletico winning instead of Real is good.

It's called rivalry in football and Real are our direct rivals. Don't understand what is so difficult about it. You think a River fan wouldn't be celebrating as if they won the league if Boca bottled the league against a third team?

serghei

I mean, I get it, it is slightly less bad.
But at the end of the day:
1. we finished last out of 3 big clubs in La Liga
2. we were KO'd in the round of 16 in a CL with 2:5
3. we didn't win any of big matches. The only win was against Juve who barely finished 4th in Seria A.
4. we played very bad, slow, sterile and predictable football

So, RM didn't win anything, but we had one very horrible season at the end of the day.
Plus, Messi is getting older, we have no money = not too much to be hopeful about for the next season.

Not that terrible all in all. We won the Cup. It's not good, but not terrible either.

Home of Barca Fans