Luis Suárez

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't agree more. Griezmann is frustrating but does work hard and you can't accommodate 3 or more players that barely move. :busquets: :messi: :suarez:

soul24rage

Barca do lack a CF but not one who plays the way Suarez does. Better off moving on and developing team as done this season.

Messi is the goalscorer and more players are chipping in than previously so dont agree Suarez is missed at all.

Pine for Messi back on RW and Suarez at CF if you like but it was done and impacting rest of team too much to carry two players that need to be given the freedom those two need at this age.

Some of the worst team football seen in years trying to accomodate both and other old legs. Glad it is done and Messi looks better for it as well in last months.

:goodpost:

BarcaOG

Banned
Barca do lack a CF but not one who plays the way Suarez does. Better off moving on and developing team as done this season.

Messi is the goalscorer and more players are chipping in than previously so dont agree Suarez is missed at all.

Pine for Messi back on RW and Suarez at CF if you like but it was done and impacting rest of team too much to carry two players that need to be given the freedom those two need at this age.

Some of the worst team football seen in years trying to accomodate both and other old legs. Glad it is done and Messi looks better for it as well in last months.

except this falls apart when messi isnt in scoring form as in earlier this season, which cost us the league title. and which means that if messi doesnt score in the CL no one else will, probably. so no, not having suarez is not as good as you suggest. itll take one off night for messi in the CL for us to lose that trophy, too

Messi983

If he'd still be here this thread would have 300 more pages of people bitching and complaining about him after every game. :lol:

Messi983

except this falls apart when messi isnt in scoring form as in earlier this season, which cost us the league title. and which means that if messi doesnt score in the CL no one else will, probably. so no, not having suarez is not as good as you suggest. itll take one off night for messi in the CL for us to lose that trophy, too

How many goals did Suarez score in the CL in last 4-5 years again?

Andresito

Staff member
Why is it that whenever I see people wanting Suarez back, I never see a suggested formation to how we'd play.

I can't see either of these front 6's working. Someone please suggest a better one.

4-4-4/4-2-3-1:
Suarez, Messi
Griezmann, Pedri, Frenkie, Ousmane

4-3-3:
Griez/Ous, Suarez, Messi
Pedri, Busi, Frenkie​

Either Messi plays or Suarez does. Nobody's suggesting Suarez should retire, he still has some football in him which we see at Atleti.
But he's not the player he used to be, and neither is Messi. That's why it's not worth it to sacrifice a whole team just for those to predictably play off each other.
It's something that used to be great but has been on a clear decline. I'd much prefer to get rid of it now than milk it dry like we did Rakitic and now doing with Busi.

Look ahead for once.

malvolio

Couldn't agree more. Griezmann is frustrating but does work hard and you can't accommodate 3 or more players that barely move.

i always see this mentioned about griezmann. is there any statistic that confirms it? like how many times he makes runs, or how many times he recovers the ball from opposition?

what does working hard really means for a forward? losing possession or receiving ball to feet only to turn around and pass it back?

i would have imagined that by getting rid of suarez we'll have a forward line that presses the opposition and somehow protects the midfield/defense. instead, we're conceding chances more than ever.

Porque

i always see this mentioned about griezmann. is there any statistic that confirms it? like how many times he makes runs, or how many times he recovers the ball from opposition?

what does working hard really means for a forward? losing possession or receiving ball to feet only to turn around and pass it back?

i would have imagined that by getting rid of suarez we'll have a forward line that presses the opposition and somehow protects the midfield/defense. instead, we're conceding chances more than ever.

It means he is the French Robbie Savage, but with slightly less luscious locks.

Were conceeding more chances because we're risking more to create more in attack.

JamDav1982

Always pressing, looking to run into space and show for ball would be working hard for a forward in my book.

'Always pass it back'... doesnt happen and is creating a lot of chances and very good chances since on LW. Last game for example more key passes than the next two combined. The game prior v Sevilla about only quality moment from Barca that game to open them up with the Messi chance.

Too many individual errors in defence that have zero to do with the midfield or front line pressing.

Barca are not conceding 'more chances than ever'. There is less chances conceded this season even with the injuries and individual errors.

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

Griezmann's defensive stats:
20/21: 0.9 and 0.8 tackles per game in La Liga and CL. 0.4 and 0.8 interceptions.
He has almost the same stats for 19/20.

Suarez's defensive stats:
20/21: 0.3 tackles per game in La Liga and CL, 0.2 and 0 interceptions.
19/20: 0.1 and 0.3 tackles per game in La Liga and CL, 0 and 0.6 interceptions.

Bear in mind that these stats do not register the quality of pressing, i.e. closing down of the passing lanes and the intensity of pressing runs. Suarez pressed once maybe in 10 games.

Defensively, Suarez was and is a passenger. Atleti can afford it as the other 9 players do the running for him. In fact, we could afford it too if Messi left. But last season we had both Messi and Suarez doing minimal defensive work. This season we have everyone pressing with Messi doing less defensive work than others. This is the way it's supposed to be, and when we had MSN it was the same with Suarez and Neymar pressing more than Messi. However, Suarez's legs have gone due to age.

JamDav1982

Except your argument falls apart in that Suarez and Messi together last season failed to win the league anyway and would be same issues but a year older.

You argument about CL is even worse. Go look at Suarez record.

Bobo32

Why is it that whenever I see people wanting Suarez back, I never see a suggested formation to how we'd play.

I can't see either of these front 6's working. Someone please suggest a better one.

4-4-4/4-2-3-1:
Suarez, Messi
Griezmann, Pedri, Frenkie, Ousmane

4-3-3:
Griez/Ous, Suarez, Messi
Pedri, Busi, Frenkie​

Either Messi plays or Suarez does. Nobody's suggesting Suarez should retire, he still has some football in him which we see at Atleti.
But he's not the player he used to be, and neither is Messi. That's why it's not worth it to sacrifice a whole team just for those to predictably play off each other.
It's something that used to be great but has been on a clear decline. I'd much prefer to get rid of it now than milk it dry like we did Rakitic and now doing with Busi.

Look ahead for once.

When I replied to your post I said switch him with Griezmann.
He can play between RB-RCB of opp.team, press high but neither press or try to get the ball deep into his own half.
He could also play as CF with Messi as RW, pretty much as your second lineup.

JamDav1982

When I replied to your post I said switch him with Griezmann.
He can play between RB-RCB of opp.team, press high but neither press or try to get the ball deep into his own half.
He could also play as CF with Messi as RW, pretty much as your second lineup.

Play Suarez LW/ST is as bad as it gets and all the problems remain.

Doesnt provide anything need from that role.

Suarez CF and Messi right wing has already failed and ruined structure of team. Dont need to see it again.

Home of Barca Fans