Luis Suárez

Laplacian

One is a 9, constantly scores, and actually runs inside the box. The other has no defined position, doesn't like to stay in the box for chances, and took half a season to start scoring. Considering the team's current deficiencies (the lack of a solid striker), the team's strengths (we know how to create chances with or without Messi), Messi's wages, and Messi's difficulties with finishing...then yes keeping Suarez and letting Messi go would have been the better option.

Hindsight's 20/20 though.

malvolio

Well suited for Atleti but wouldn't be as effective for us. Simple.

would be far more effective than those two clowns we have upfront. also would have got messi more space and more possibilities to play one-twos. plus no depressed messi at the start of the season.

looking at what is happening now i'm pretty sure we would be topping the league with suarez still in the team. and i don't imply that he would have scored the same for us as he did for atleti.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

would be far more effective than those two clowns we have upfront. also would have got messi more space and more possibilities to play one-twos. plus no depressed messi at the start of the season.

looking at what is happening now i'm pretty sure we would be topping the league with suarez still in the team. and i don't imply that he would have scored the same for us as he did for atleti.

With Suarez and Messi YES we would be top of table.

Andresito

Staff member

looking at what is happening now i'm pretty sure we would be topping the league with suarez still in the team. and i don't imply that he would have scored the same for us as he does now.

What two clowns, Griezmann and Dembele? So it would be back to a 4-4-2 and back to square one of the rebuild we're trying to achieve, furthering our problems.

Messi and Suarez together were done, maybe the two of them could work together individually but they were so detached from the rest of the team it's ridiculous.
One could argue about keeping one or the other but it's clear as day to me that Messi is the better player to have in attack.

Suarez is 3 goals ahead of Messi, this in the league's by far best team vs Messi who was unmotivated and in a team where the coach needed half a season to figure out the best XI and formation.

malvolio

What two clowns, Griezmann and Dembele? So it would be back to a 4-4-2 and back to square one of the rebuild we're trying to achieve, furthering our problems.

Messi and Suarez together were done, maybe the two of them could work together individually but they were so detached from the rest of the team it's ridiculous.
One could argue about keeping one or the other but it's clear as day to me that Messi is the better player to have in attack.

Suarez is 3 goals ahead of Messi, this in the league's by far best team vs Messi who was unmotivated and in a team where the coach needed half a season to figure out the best XI and formation.

suarez could have easily been in place of bumwaite. griezmann and dembele play as wingers anyway, even now. so what's this whole 4-4-2 discussion about?

also it is not my job to make it work. a good manager can make it work. i've never seen this bullshit happen before at any big club - new manager comes in and ditches the league's best striker to a direct rival, for free.

people should stop referring to atletico as some monster team. they are just the same team, with the same best defense in the league. they just fucked around for many years with bums like costa and morata.

Last edited:

Mrgandalf

Curious member
This is exactly the difference between the two standpoint. Decisions with short-term results and decisions with long-term results. Pep or Mou. Laporta or Rosell.
Cruyffista or Nunista. Valverde or Koeman.

malvolio

This is exactly the difference between the two standpoint. Decisions with short-term results and decisions with long-term results. Pep or Mou. Laporta or Rosell.
Cruyffista or Nunista. Valverde or Koeman.

remember how guardiola tought that eto'o was a rotten apple and we gifted him to inter + a ton of money for ibrahimovic? we did such a great job that they won the treble and we got rid of ibra after 1 season.

what is this long term thinking you are talking about? have you checked our history and how we go about getting rid of players or managers?

Fati_Future_BallonDor

suarez could have easily been in place of bumwaite. griezmann and dembele play as wingers anyway, even now. so what's this whole 4-4-2 discussion about?

also it is not my job to make it work. a good manager can make it work. i've never seen this bullshit happen before at any big club - new manager comes in and ditches the league's best striker to a direct rival, for free.

people should stop referring to atletico as some monster team. they are just the same team, with the same best defense in the league. they just fucked around for many years with bums like costa and morata.

Nah Joao Felix and Carrasco make them a lot stronger than in the previous years

Messi983

Well suited for Atleti but wouldn't be as effective for us. Simple.

This.

Also, he's motivated to prove Barca wrong, if he'd stay it would be more of the same we've seen over the last few years. People would be calling for his head after 80-90% of games he wouldn't score in.

It was time to move on from him. I'll say the same even if he'll score 30 goals for Atleti.

Andresito

Staff member

The 4-4-2 discussion is how you would fit Messi and Suarez into the same team. I don't know what you're suggesting, keeping Suarez as a sub? Messi as a RW?

We saw last season how effective the Messi-Suarez duo was and how many titles that brought us. At least now we see other younger players taking more responsibility which maybe won't bring more titles than last season but at least it makes for a solid ground to build upon for the future, which is what we need at this point.

Can't believe how short sighted people are. Suarez has been absolutely bashed in here for the past 2-3 seasons, why the hell would this season be any different.

malvolio

The 4-4-2 discussion is how you would fit Messi and Suarez into the same team. I don't know what you're suggesting, keeping Suarez as a sub? Messi as a RW?

We saw last season how effective the Messi-Suarez duo was and how many titles that brought us. At least now we see other younger players taking more responsibility which maybe won't bring more titles than last season but at least it makes for a solid ground to build upon for the future, which is what we need at this point.

Can't believe how short sighted people are. Suarez has been absolutely bashed in here for the past 2-3 seasons, why the hell would this season be any different.

suarez wasn't taking minutes from younger players. his direct competition for a starting spot was bumwaite or griezmann.

again. it is not my job to make it work. i could ask you the same thing - how do you integrate a player like griezmann when you already have messi?

i also bashed him at times, but right now we are worse in attack without him.

JamDav1982

Dont agree Barca are worse in attack without him.

Barca last season with Messi and Suarez together and way the rest of the team is set up to compensate for them was worse than what have seen this season and would have just been them a year older.

Suarez or Messi fine.. both together was having too much detrimental affect on rest of team. Messi at false nine in this system and players around him with more freedom and energy particularly since turn of year has been better.

Andresito

Staff member
suarez wasn't taking minutes from younger players. his direct competition for a starting spot was bumwaite or griezmann.

again. it is not my job to make it work. i could ask you the same thing - how do you integrate a player like griezmann when you already have messi?

i also bashed him at times, but right now we are worse in attack without him.

He wasn't stealing minutes but he was part of the individualistic attack with Messi where no one else was allowed to intrude.
It was evident even with MSN that other players didn't get room to excel. At the time MSN was good enough to succeed (for 1 season only) with an almost inexistent midfield . But now Messi and Suarez are 34 and can't carry a team.

I've been against getting Griezmann since day 1 so I can't defend having him in the team. But now that he's here I'd rather play the 4-3-3 Koeman's going for at the moment rather than shoehorn Messi and Suarez into an attack.

Easy to want stuff but maybe try to suggest a solution to the problem as well instead of going the lazy route of "a good coach could fix that". I don't think there's a realistic solution unless you're happy with the way Barca has been progressing these last few years.

Joan

Some advantages for him at Atletico, but we create way more and would do so with Suarez in the team, too. Think he'd be at least close to his numbers.

JamDav1982

Some advantages for him at Atletico, but we create way more and would do so with Suarez in the team, too. Think he'd be at least close to his numbers.

Suarez in this team changes it completely.

The team is creating more chances as players have more freedom, less covering for old legs and a better overall structure.

Go back to a front two or a front three with Messi vacating the RW and midfield being set up to cover it etc and whole dynamic changes.

The reason Barca were in such a mess is this belief that these old legs can get it done in same side. Yet some want more of same?

Atletico suits him and plays in completely different way Barca would.

Home of Barca Fans