If Messi and Cristiano didn't exist, who would be the best player in the world?

If Messi and Cristiano both never existed, who would be the best in the world?

• Total voters

RMU ReBorn

Suarez by a distance. Lead his nation to copa win , Came back from wheelchair to kick the butts of all the English fans who mocked him, Winning Golden boots in Messi and Ronaldo dominated era. Being a striker his game is not just restricted to poaching. His extreme high pressing and the way he assists his teammates adds extra dimensions to his game. He may not be eye catchy , nor will his dribbles look like getting past the opponents ,but he will get the job done, some how . Haven't seen sucha weird but effective dribbler before .!

Neymessi

But I feel like that logic is flawed because Suarez hasn't had to be the sole creator since he came here so of course he's not going to show those traits as often anymore.

In his first season, he was given the role of creator instead of neymar and neymar had his current role. Suarez did that very well although nothing close to what he did at liverpool and neymar also did very well by scoring 40 goals that season whereas he scored just 24 or something( I know he started some months late) but slowly neymar improved his overall game and rightly took the position of suarez who scored a shitload thanks to his role.

Currently while suarez will still do well if he is given the creator role he won't be anything like neymar or messi. His ball control,dribbling,passing,vision... imo neymar is better in every department.

I am in the minority here but the really tough role that neymar has affects his stats and makes him look bad easily. If there was a neymar who had a neymar and messi behind him to provide, I could bet he wouldn't be too far off in the goalscoring stats of suarez. Messi and neymar both make significant sacrifices for their stats by dropping deep for their team and be a massive engine for the team. Of course suarez would sacrifice a lot of things for the team too but he can never be the driving force or our engine like messi and neymar.

So if someone asks me who would have been the best player if messi wasn't there, I would give it to someone who is an allrounder like messi and not just a poacher, just like we know messi is a better player than cr7 even though many times cr7 stats are better and by that I am not accusing suarez of scoring tapins and stuff like cr7.

Last edited:

RMU ReBorn

Neymar was never Barcelona's driving force. Suarez made all the difference .since his arrival dimension of the team changed a lot

JamDav1982

If Messi was not in this team the most important player in attack would be Neymar and he would be the one the team is built around.

As it is Suarez is closer to Messi and has the advantage of Messi one side Ney the other and has been the better player this calendar year.

Neymessi

Suarez is Just a poacher. Wow :lol: 40 Assist's for Barcelona counts for nothing

Cr7 has 50 assists in the last 3 years. Is he not a poacher? Do Xavi and iniesta stats give a true reflection of how good they were?

Truth is, be it goal stats or assist stats unless you look at the game, you will never get the whole story. And the story, as clear as day is that suarez has a primary role of 'scoring' while messi and neymar have a primary role of 'creating'.

Most of those assist come from the final third of the gameplay which do not include the overall contribution that inititated from the back. For example many passes from the back distort the defence line or create space for player which many times don't get shown as assits. Case in point many of messi passes that open up space and all one needs to do is pass the ball to someone in front of goal and boom. That pass doesn't get shown as assist or a goal.

Forget all this and ask yourself where do you usually see suarez on the pitch. The easy answer would be as high as he could be always waiting for the ball to arrive.

Neymessi

If Messi was not in this team the most important player in attack would be Neymar and he would be the one the team is built around.

As it is Suarez is closer to Messi and has the advantage of Messi one side Ney the other and has been the better player this calendar year.

Exactly what I want to say.

While suarez has been better by some distance there is no way he can take the burden of barcelona from messi's shoulder to his. Only neymar can and rightly so.

RMU ReBorn

Cr7 has 50 assists in the last 3 years. Is he not a poacher? Do Xavi and iniesta stats give a true reflection of how good they were?

Truth is, be it goal stats or assist stats unless you look at the game, you will never get the whole story. And the story, as clear as day is that suarez has a primary role of 'scoring' while messi and neymar have a primary role of 'creating'.

Most of those assist come from the final third of the gameplay which do not include the overall contribution that inititated from the back. For example many passes from the back distort the defence line or create space for player which many times don't get shown as assits. Case in point many of messi passes that open up space and all one needs to do is pass the ball to someone in front of goal and boom. That pass doesn't get shown as assist or a goal.

Forget all this and ask yourself where do you usually see suarez on the pitch. The easy answer would be as high as he could be always waiting for the ball to arrive.
Pretty sure that you havent watched him play weak in and out. He was certainly not a poacher and not all his assist's were side passes , many of his crucial dribbles lead to Barcelona's goal, His lob pass to Messi lead to the goal vs Atleti in vicente Calderon . He had Manuel Nuer infront of him one on one and yet he passed it for Neymar to have a tap in at Munich , He dribbled , David luiz twice to score at Paris , His goal vs Gijon away last season , He is the one who always press high in opponent half , and wins possession . He won the ball back from Modric , which lead to third goal in Bernabue. Remember his cross that lead to Neymar's goal vs Villareal in Camp Nou ? Before calling him a poacher and comparing him with Penaldo , think about what Suarez has done to the club and his impact. And stop overeating Neymar , dude has been frustratingly inconsistent over the past two seasons. Few months of sexy football wont make him a better player than Suarez. If Liverpool can build and attack around Suarez , certainly he can do that in Barcelona even if Neymar is not there

Last edited:

Ahmedd

Suarez is one of the best strikers i have ever seen, his work with and without the ball is impressive. But imo the best football player needs to be special, unique. And the only one beside Messi/Ronaldo i can think of is Iniesta. He has a unique playstyle and vision, his dribbling skills are wonderful. He has been decisive in every final he played. We can all agree that he deserves at least one Ballon d'or. What makes Messi better than Ronaldo is the impact he has on the game, Iniesta not only has that impact but also magic in his feet.

Last edited:

Neymessi

Pretty sure that you havent watched him play weak in and out. He was certainly not a poacher and not all his assist's were side passes , many of his crucial dribbles lead to Barcelona's goal, His lob pass to Messi lead to the goal vs Atleti in vicente Calderon . He had Manuel Nuer infront of him one on one and yet he passed it for Neymar to have a tap in at Munich , He dribbled , David luiz twice to score at Paris , His goal vs Gijon away last season , He is the one who always press high in opponent half , and wins possession . He won the ball back from Modric , which lead to third goal in Bernabue. Remember his cross that lead to Neymar's goal vs Villareal in Camp Nou ? Before calling him a poacher and comparing him with Penaldo , think about what Suarez has done to the club and his impact. And stop overeating Neymar , dude has been frustratingly inconsistent over the past two seasons. Few months of sexy football wont make him a better player than Suarez. If Liverpool can build and attack around Suarez , certainly he can do that in Barcelona even if Neymar is not there

This is really dense of you if you think that having a different opinion means I don't watch barcelona play.

Don't throw those suarez stuff at me. I knew you would come up with his random stuff and thats why I wrote that his 'primary' role is goalscoring. Not that he isn't allowed to do anything else. And no I am not comparing with cr7 and I knew someone would accuse me of that so I mentioned that in my first post. Also stop with the bs that I don't acknowledge suarez because I don't think what you think. Messi is injured right now, and guess who has the creator role right now?

And any time messi won't be there we will always have neymar creating instead of suarez and for some good reason.

This is really dense of you if you think that having a different opinion means I don't watch barcelona play.
Don't throw those suarez stuff at me. I knew you would come up with his random stuff and thats why I wrote that his 'primary' role is goalscoring. Not that he isn't allowed to do anything else. And no I am not comparing with cr7 and I knew someone would accuse me of that so I mentioned that in my first post.

1. So you've described suarez as a poacher and ignored the rest of his attributes but are annoyed when people correct you ? At least i'm happy you knew that was going to happen.

2. So you're not comparing Suarez with CR7 but you knew people would accuse you of it so you chose instead to... compare him with CR7 :lol:, ok logic... right there.

Maybe i'm mistaken and you're totally not comparing the two here :lol:
not just a poacher, just like we know messi is a better player than cr7 even though many times cr7 stats are better and by that I am not accusing suarez of scoring tapins and stuff like cr7.

Btw,
1. Cristiano's stats aren't superior to Messi's, thank you.
2. you're just contradicting yourself constantly with that cr7 comparison, why bring him up if suarez is different ?
3. it's mostly neymar scoring the tap ins anyway so... :)

Home of Barca Fans