New 2022-2023 Barca kits

JerseyAddict

Of course they have a say. But the goal has been to maximize profit these last few years. And to do that you need new designs, hence the horizontal stripes and checkers. Also some questionable choices to play 2nd/third kit this season, most notably in CdR when we played pink kits against a similar looking side, while leaving the black ones at home. Simply because pink kits needed more marketing.

IMO it must be boring for fans of teams like Madrid, Bayern and Liverpool with more or less same kits every year.
At least we have the freedom to go nuts. Some designs are better than others and that's fine. But those horizontal and checkered kits were way out of line of what Barca should wear.

I completly agree. With all. last paragraph is in the same time great and sad for us. We have the chance to create great kits, and in the end almost every season there are some flops that are on the edge of catastrophe.
Pink kit from 2 years ago

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Of course they have a say. But the goal has been to maximize profit these last few years. And to do that you need new designs, hence the horizontal stripes and checkers. Also some questionable choices to play 2nd/third kit this season, most notably in CdR when we played pink kits against a similar looking side, while leaving the black ones at home. Simply because pink kits needed more marketing.

IMO it must be boring for fans of teams like Madrid, Bayern and Liverpool with more or less same kits every year.
At least we have the freedom to go nuts. Some designs are better than others and that's fine. But those horizontal and checkered kits were way out of line of what Barca should wear.

Well said. Creating kits is not about aesthetics and individual tastes, it is about marketability, sales and profit and you do need some differentiation from the previous seasons in terms of patterns and colors etc. so manufacturers and clubs are often forced to take up something just to catch eyeballs and garner sales. For us it won't sell a lot if our home jersey features vertical red and blue stripes year after year with little changes.

Vilarrubi

The thing is though, if they made a class kit it doesn’t matter if it’s the standard “boring” design. For example the last two shirts I bought are 2014/15 home shirt and 2016/17 home shirt both Vapor versions. Both of those are just our traditional stripes.

Have no interest in buying checked Barca shirts or odd designs.

Andresito

Staff member
The thing is though, if they made a class kit it doesn’t matter if it’s the standard “boring” design. For example the last two shirts I bought are 2014/15 home shirt and 2016/17 home shirt both Vapor versions. Both of those are just our traditional stripes.

Have no interest in buying checked Barca shirts or odd designs.

I think most of us active in this thread can agree on this. A good looking "boring" kit is probably what we all want.

I don't know who they think will buy the flashier design and if it's even more profitable than the normal ones.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think most of us active in this thread can agree on this. A good looking "boring" kit is probably what we all want.

I don't know who they think will buy the flashier design and if it's even more profitable than the normal ones.

I could be wrong but I remember reading a few years ago the 15/16 home jersey with horizontal stripes that many of us here abhorred was the best selling home jersey for us in a long time.

Birdy

1) The reason Senyera kit is used so many times this season is not so much that the players or club or fans did not like the pink-black-green one, but rather colour clash against certain opponents:
For example every time we play a team that wears red-ish shirts and navy blue or black shorts, or blaugrana combinations (Bilbao, Osasuna, Huescas, Levantes), we cannot wear the pink jersey because shirts and shocks clash directly.
We cannot wear the total black either, as shorts still clash. We cannot wear 1st kit either of course, as red clashes.

So, the only solution is to go with the 4rth Senyera one

2) We have worn again half-half shorts in the past: It was If i am not mistaken 1997 when our 'European kit' was the following:
barcelona-1997-98-kappa-european-home-shirt-football-kit.jpg

I personally think it would look 100 times better if the red and blue halves of the short get switched with one another,
so that the red half stands below the blue half of the shirt and the blue half of the short stands below the red half of the shirt.
Same with socks

Vilarrubi

I could be wrong but I remember reading a few years ago the 15/16 home jersey with horizontal stripes that many of us here abhorred was the best selling home jersey for us in a long time.

Was that at the time or afterwards? Guessing sales of shirts probably go up season after season generally.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Was that at the time or afterwards? Guessing sales of shirts probably go up season after season generally.

I think it was up to 2017-ish, when the sales numbers of 15/16 jersey were known. Not sure about sales volumes going up each season, can't find a credible place for this kind of data year after year.

Joan

Nike has the data going years back. They wouldn't make original designs if our usual kits were a better sell, no?

Home of Barca Fans